The Lotus Cars Community banner

541 - 560 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: New AIM Dash

Keep us posted on the dash, please.

I and a couple of friends were looking at it for next season.

Great job on the car! BTW.

Thank You,

Anton

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
Here are a few more shots of race studio 3
You can download the software at aimsportline the italy site
ImageUploadedByAG Free1417122038.762819.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1417122051.452375.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1417122107.267183.jpg
Working on the mounting points
Should have something by monday
Due to the holidays

And a few of the mxl2 set up
ImageUploadedByAG Free1417122082.870409.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
For those of you that want to be able to see the ethanol content on your aim dash or any dash that needs a 0-5 volt analog
Here is what you will need
The flex fuel sensor outputs a signal in hzs .
Zeitronics makes a converter box
Eca-2. This allow you to output the correct analog signal to your dash.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1418786651.291678.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1418786667.999385.jpg

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I like the new AiM.
Most ECUs take the ethanol content sensors directly without the converter box. Sensors are very cheap now ($40) and E85 makes a huge difference for forced induction (50 hp for me). Only things that are bad is the fuel consumption and now E85 is more expensive than gas, but we're not in this to save money.
In SoCal pump gas is 8% ethanol and E85 is 78% summer and 74-76% winter.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #555 ·
Thanks
The converter box is just for the aim dash.
The infinity ecu does not need the converter box.
However there seems to be a lack of available data from the can stream
Hopefully everyone updates all their info and makes life easier

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
After having some high temp issues with the bigger radiator, i decided to go with an electric water pump
Iron canyon motorsports
Sells a lotus specific davies craig kit
Ewp 150 with an electronic thermostat
Problem solved great kit
They use silicone hoses but i made a few mods
ImageUploadedByAG Free1419717247.170792.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1419717256.034888.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
i think it might be a good idea to get a solid state relay and PWM control that pump using your ECU. You will be surprised at how much delay there is to begin proper cooling when the heat starts, you start pulling hard and temp builds up quicker than the long cooling system in the lotus can respond.

If you PWM control the pump you can forcefully speed it up when you start giving the car heaps of power. Many other good reasons but just a suggestion from me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Electric Water Pump

I am using a Meziere 55gpm water pump. The reputation on the web is marginal. However, I cannot find real evidence for it not working, actually only to the contrary.

I use the car for the track, only, so I removed the thermostat. Some people would say , it is not the best idea. I thought with all the long water piping there is enough resistance in the cooling system.... Meziere does NOT recommend PWM motor controllers.

Centrifugal water pump is a very simple device, especially for high density fluid like water. The only other difference is the quality of the electric motor, its power and the seals.... Davies Craig is a good professional product. I wanted a high-volume metal pump when I built the car... It was not available then...

So far it has worked well. The dyno runs were on DynaPack. It creates load on the car i.e. keeps the revs at set point for the tuner to do the tune. This puts a lot of heat into the system. No issues.

I took the car to the track toward the end of the season. If anything, I had over-cooling problems. Had to put tape over radiator intake.

The main trick with centrifugal electric water pumps is to always keep water at the pump inlet. So my pump is below the rad and my rad overflow/fill bottle is above the pump feeding it.

My car made 550 to 620whp depending on turbo.

Set-up:

Ron Davis custom 3-pass radiator (stock location) with -20 AN ports
-20 AN fittings welded on the front with -20 hose around the pump and rad. This worked well....
-16 hose in the back i.e. engine.
K-tuned water pump block-off plate with re-drilled AN water port for -16 (lot's of meat on the plate fro that).
K-tuned fitting for water on the head with -16 outlet
Meziere 55gpm remote mount pump with -20 AN hose fittings
27 lbs rad cap
Water+Water wetter+Anti corrosion additive
8" cooling fan (maybe 10, but not an issue)

Observations:

1. No problems so far. Indications that there is sufficient cooling system capacity.
2. Electric fan almost never comes on. 200F set point in K-pro. Usually comes on during heat soak after track in the pits.... This is where electrical pumps are great, since I can run it in the pits with engine off to prevent heat soak!
3. Bleeding the system is a simple process. Pour water in, turn the pump on. Jack up the front of the car. 10 minutes and it is done.
4. I like braided hoses when they are almost exposed i.e. front.
5. I detest rubber hoses with warm clamps. But I also run a 27psi cap....
6. Honda motors do not seem to put out a lot of heat. (They are efficient!)

Anton

541 - 560 of 578 Posts