Discussion Starter #1

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Where can I put a deposit? :)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i am still skeptical - they were pretty firm with me and for good reasons about not federal street legal. hence, i went off the list.

lets count the IF's and MAYBE's between the lines....

"We need support of the VW/Audi Group [1] and we need to overcome some legal hurdles [2] concerning licensing [3], but at the end of the day we want [4] to see this car on the streets in America. We will do whatever is possible [5] to bring the car to the U.S.— that, I promise [6]."

i am not hearing anything different from 2 years ago

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
:drool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO they cannot ignore a market like USA. They just need to copy the Noble business model. It will get around a large portion of the US Fed requirements.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is a heavy underpowered car but I still want one. It's 355 lbs heavier than a British Atom and it's missing 100 horsepower. It looks a lot better though. Turbo car should be easy to juice up. Cool car.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ deddie you have almost the perfect garage as it is :) you lucky dog, you.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If they make it street legal in Canada, I will have a hard time not buying one...

Any word on Canadian availability?

·
Registered
563 Posts
YES!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
carbon tub with side pod cooling, generates about 6x more downforce, uses inboard front suspension. more advanced in just about every way and makes the elise look a little "old school" - of course its not as sorted as lotus products yet.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thats interesting. I just read an article on the X-Bow in the current issue of EVO and thought to myself if it comes to the US street legal I might just have to get one :D.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have call into John Heinz (KTMNA X-Bow project director and our order liaison). As soon as I hear from him Ill let you know what the US. head office says about the matter. Fingers crossed ;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Have call into John Heinz (KTMNA X-Bow project director and our order liaison). As soon as I hear from him Ill let you know what the US. head office says about the matter. Fingers crossed ;)
Can you ask for Canada while you're at it?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Settle down kiddies, it's not coming yet

Ok here is the news from KTMUSA as of today (not official text, abbreviation of conversation): KTM-Europe are continuing to look into North American importation of the crossbow but the statements that are being quoted by the director in the media from the brand meeting seem to have been taken out of context (due to the language differential) and too literally in translation. The crossbow does not hold the needed safety technology (abs, airbags, etc.) required to meet US. (or Canadian) roadway legality (we already obviously knew that). Currently options are being considered by KTM-Euro (which include bringing the car in as a pseudo "kit" where by customers would take the provided chassis, motor, and gearbox to an approved constructor for approved assembly of the vehicles to bypass restrictions, (ala Noble, Ariel, Caterham, etc.) but at this time there is no foreseeable availability by 2010. As to "track only" cars, this is a more likely option, however KTM is still involved in certain legal matters regarding even this importation style and that too is on hold. So the short of it is that the director's statements may have been a bit over zealous, but do mirror KTM's desire and ongoing attempts to bring Americans this fantastic piece of machinery (despite our prick fascist government bureaucracy and douchebags at the helm of it all attempting to force us all into Toyota Priuses and nasty little Smart cars). You will all have to wait in line however, when the boxes start arriving, our family has the first 4 stateside cars ordered and reserved. Further, we are told there is a crap load of people on the list behind us. :p Sorry we were in line first, 2 stinking years ago! We will let you know any changes that are forwarded to us from the factory. The wait goes on :sad:..........

·
Registered
466 Posts
Corvus said:
It's 355 lbs heavier than a British Atom and it's missing 100 horsepower. It looks a lot better though. Turbo car should be easy to juice up. Cool car.
The X-Bow has better aerodynamics vs. the Atom, however the Atom has outright more power and less weight. What KTM initially wanted to do was to provide a direct response to Caterham and in particular Ariel.

However since those development days, both Caterham and Ariel have developed and produced way more power while KTM was still floating around comparing to their base model Super 7s and under 200bhp Atom 2. Of course by this time now, even Lotus 2-11 is giving grief with superb handling and aerodynamics balance.

Last to this boat/category is without a doubt, KTM. Being an Austrian primary bike manufacturer, it can be understood. However, what KTM should do is fast track and bring out the 300bhp TFSI with the S3 Audi engine, not a normal 1.8T plant found in every econobox from Audi. This will respond exactly to what they initially stated, produce enough power from factory to appeal to enthusiasts/intended owners and continue development for more improvements once the initial sales kicks off.

What is happening now and for awhile until their 300bhp version is available "sometime around the turn of the decade, which realistically means 2010 or 2011", people will continue to say that the car looks great, has good aerodynamics but fails to deliver blistering results or performance because it's heavier and underpowered.

Having followed this since day one and seeing how KTM has continue to evolve and develop, their late to deliver to market timeline isn't impressive [this car was meant to be release in early 08 in EU, however have only just done so after completing track/competition R&D in partnership with Reiter Engineering - Lamborghini Murcielargo R-GT creator.] This is my current €1.00 opinion as a future KTM 300bhp [will not accept anything less] X-Bow owner.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
That's the craziest, insane, most dangerous road thing I've ever seen. Where do I sign up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts