The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just placed an order for several minor parts, for the Elise, with Gator Motorsport. After reading a number of positive experiences with Gator Motorsport I decided to give them a shot.

I spoke with Dino and I can only say it was an absolute pleasure speaking with him over the phone! They have earned my business for any future orders I decide to place! :smile2:

I phoned and sent messages to LotusGarage (Tuesday) and MyLotusGarage (Monday) and I am still waiting on a reply...

Brian

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recently used Gator as well, and they were superb. Lotus will NOT ship a part from the manufacturer's warehouse directly to an independent customer (me, for example) at any price. So when I needed a part not at any dealer within 1,000 miles of me, Lotus USA told me to call Gator Motorsport. Gator then had someone actually drive 25 miles from where they are to the mnfr's warehouse to get my part, and they (Gator) then shipped it to me themselves. This saved me at least 4 or 5 days by not having to go through Lotus USA's cumbersome, archaic & ineffective system of them shipping to a dealer and the dealer then shipping to me.

Absolutely great guys to work with.
PS: where did the name "Gator Motorsports" come from? The gators are down here with me and not up there!

·
Lotus Technician
105 Posts
I recently used Gator as well, and they were superb. Lotus will NOT ship a part from the manufacturer's warehouse directly to an independent customer (me, for example) at any price. So when I needed a part not at any dealer within 1,000 miles of me, Lotus USA told me to call Gator Motorsport. Gator then had someone actually drive 25 miles from where they are to the mnfr's warehouse to get my part, and they (Gator) then shipped it to me themselves. This saved me at least 4 or 5 days by not having to go through Lotus USA's cumbersome, archaic & ineffective system of them shipping to a dealer and the dealer then shipping to me.

PS: where did the name "Gator Motorsports" come from? The gators are down here with me and not up there!
While i agree with all the good things you have to say about Gator, I think you may be confused. Gator is in Indianapolis, Lotus USA warehouse is in Plymouth Michigan. Auto Europe (Michigan Lotus dealer, and great group!!) is in Birmingham Michigan (approx 28 miles from Lotus USA). Could that be the source you used? I am sure if the Lotus warehouse was 25 miles from Dino at Gator he would have done the same though.

The reason for the name "Gator" is a good one, but i cannot remember all the specifics, so i wont try to retell it. Perhaps @GatorMS_Sales can chime in with the reason.

T.J.

·
Supporting Vendor
429 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
I recently used Gator as well, and they were superb. Lotus will NOT ship a part from the manufacturer's warehouse directly to an independent customer (me, for example) at any price. So when I needed a part not at any dealer within 1,000 miles of me, Lotus USA told me to call Gator Motorsport. Gator then had someone actually drive 25 miles from where they are to the mnfr's warehouse to get my part, and they (Gator) then shipped it to me themselves.

This saved me at least 4 or 5 days by not having to go through Lotus USA's cumbersome, archaic & ineffective system of them shipping to a dealer and the dealer then shipping to me.

Not to discredit Lotus USA, but what car manufacture do you know that takes orders and ships to a customer, the US franchise laws prevent this except in very very unusual circumstances. Only one I know of is the Mazda Motorsport Program, where as members with bona fide race results filed annually with them where we are able to order direct at similar to dealer cost, but then the parts come with no warranty.

Reactions: Twaszak!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not to discredit Lotus USA, but what car manufacture do you know that takes orders and ships to a customer, the US franchise laws prevent this except in very very unusual circumstances. Only one I know of is the Mazda Motorsport Program, where as members with bona fide race results filed annually with them where we are able to order direct at similar to dealer cost, but then the parts come with no warranty.
Here is what I have observed at dealers or been told by dealers:

1) There is a paucity of Lotus dealers in the US.
2) The Lotus dealers I have called (about 5) never have whatever part I inquire about. (Ex: wiper
motor, window regulator, etc)
3) At least 2 of the aforementioned dealers said Lotus only ships parts from US HQ to individual
dealers once per week.

The above is a recipe for disgruntled Lotus owners, as if you miss "shipping day", your part will not be shipped for another 6 days ... and that's to a dealer, who then has to log it in, reship it to me, etc. Then, what if it's the wrong part?? Another potential 9 or 10 days are shot. Why can I get parts for a 31 year old Ferrari via overnight shipping, yet for a relatively new Lotus Evora I must go through this cumbersome, archaic, dilatory:mad: system?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Back to Gator, however: Gator Motorsports saved me 7 or 8 days by driving somewhere to get the part & shipping it to me on the same day. My intended contribution to this thread was and remains to praise Gator and not gripe about the system, but since you asked ...

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
It would be good business for Lotus to stock the parts required to keep the cars on the road. For us, for them. Hopefully somebody in position to act is planning to make parts availability a top priority. It makes all the difference in perception of the ownership experience.

It's nice to hear when service matches the reputation. I've always appreciated Gator's participation on the forum.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I recently picked up an Evora 400 from Gator. Brian was a pleasure to deal with. Simple and hassle-free car buying experience, and that's a rarity in the industry. Very cool shop also, plenty of exotics in their service bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts