The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have tested the V710 combo 215/40/R17 and 245/40/R17 on my car last week. No rubbing issue what so ever. :clap:

However I can't tell you the actually performance (I am not a top gun like e.g. RandyC ) , also I was running 3 year old 215/40/R17 (used) from Randy sold with his old wheels. rotfl (but it sticks after 10 runs)

General impression was, the combo was not as crisps as A6 steering wise. I think the grip was good and it was more forgiving to drive on. It was a demo event so I didn't have a lot of time playing with pressure. However it seems to work with a few psi higher than the A6 pressure I ran. (I think the front might work better with higher pressure to get some response back??) Yes it was still a bit*h to mount. :panic:

There was no under steer (once the old tire heat up), did not spray the tire at all. If anything, the car was a bit loose due to more grip up front. The car took a set a bit slower (maybe due to a different shoulder design on V710, and I ran the rear shock softer because of more front grip). However once the rear take a set it wasn't going anywhere.

The build date on the tires was in the middle of 07 :confused:, so it could still be the old compound. (tread groove was offset from the center) So thanks to Kumho Canada, we have a choice to run kumho. :coolnana: I think Jason said it was available last year for some club racing in the US.

I only have stock trackpack setup, but I think the BWR swaybar should work better with this setup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I wasn't aware there was a 245/40 available. Are you sure it wasn't 245/45/17?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't aware there was a 245/40 available. Are you sure it wasn't 245/45/17?
It just came in from a shipment 2 weeks ago in BC (canada). I was doing demo runs for Kumho Canada at their driving event. :p

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It just came in from a shipment 2 weeks ago in BC (canada). I was doing demo runs for Kumho Canada at their driving event. :p
Good news! I've been wondering why they didn't make that size for the longest time. 215/40 and 245/40 is the perfect size combo IMO. Any idea when they will hit the market? Overall would you say they're faster than a set of fresh A6's (205/245)?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news! I've been wondering why they didn't make that size for the longest time. 215/40 and 245/40 is the perfect size combo IMO. Any idea when they will hit the market? Overall would you say they're faster than a set of fresh A6's (205/245)?

I was using some old 215/40 up front from Randy's old car. :p (one of the "new" front that they sent me was defected ) I think 215/45/R16 would be better but unfortunately it was not available to me. The event wasn't timed, so I could not tell. The longitudinal grip seems good. Medium corner was pretty easy to drive too. The most noticeable different was slaloming, it doesn't not provide the same feel as the A6 (shoulder design probably).

I would say (Take it with a grin of salt) that this combo should help us to run the car stiffer but without the negative effect of understeer at tight corners. For my level of driving, it probably would not make too much of a difference. rotfl If its Matthew B and Salerno then I don't know. So I would say they are within a few tenth depending on driving style. Without a control test, we'll never know.

Btw, check with DM00 on vcmc.ca , he's the man. :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Weird. I run about 4psi higher with the Hoosiers than I did with the Kumhos.

I still don't believe that they made a 245/40-17. I kept hearing that it was going to happen, and it never did. It's been almost 3 years like that. I hope they get them to the US before mid-July. Then I can run on them at the California Divisionals.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just for grins, I called the Tire Rack to ask about availability of the V710 in the new 245/40R17 size. They said that Kumho showed the new sizes at SEMA, but are still non-committal as to actual delivery in the states. He said they don't expect to see them supplied until this fall at the earliest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts