Discussion Starter #1
Last week.....................0 deliveries
This week.....................0 deliveries
Scheduled next week...0 deliveries
Oct build dates..............0
L.A. city dealers.............0
L.A. county dealers........0

Pleased to report no labor disputes on the horizon expeced to slow
the frenzied pace. Check back for my weekly updates.

Steve

·
Registered
495 Posts
Outrageous, isn't it.

The biggest market in the country for these cars, and no customer cars delivered -- excepting those sold out from under the list at a premium.

Want to take a guess on when the 'lists' start moving? I think around Jan. 1

Well, there is a very high chance that I will give up soon. My M-coupe is DEAD (two engines gone in three months -- first was a minor over-rev at 7250 vs 7000 redline, the second one gave up with no provocation. Last BMW I will own), and I need a new car ASAP. Probably would be getting my Lotus any day now if it weren't for the premium-seeking dealer, but it'll be 3-6 more months, I think. Faced with my current situation I may just get something else and pick one up in a few years (or never). Only realistic alternative is to seek one at a premium, but I won't be gouged too badly.

Lotus may have little control the dealers, but the current situation is not good for Lotus in the long run.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
But wait.. where did Jay Leno pick up his Elise? ;)

I'm curious to see how history judges Lotus with the Elise rollout. Will this all be forgotten as demand wears thin and enthusiasts are satisfied, or will they get a footnote like "excellent car hampered by ineffectual and incompetent dealer network."

Seems sad to trash all this enthusiast good will and namesake pride just to stay chums with a few dishonest dealers by playing along.

For lack of info, I'm going into the car buying experience with an attitude of "It damn well better be All That and a bag of chips!" :mad:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wow, I hadn't realized it was that bad in LA. Is this just LA or all of CA. I think LCUSA made a big mistake bringing them to Long Beach as it is overloaded anyway. They should have dropped them all on the left coast and left them containerized by train to San Diego. It would have meant quicker delivery for us and payment for them

·
Registered
495 Posts
The port is not the main issue. Cars are getting here (more than the dealers would have us think), but these are being sold out from under the lists at a premium

·
Registered
687 Posts
Interesting, since Lotus chose L.A. as the place to unveil the car.

L.A. doesn't have an NFL team, either. Go figure.

·
Registered
970 Posts
grudkin said:
Outrageous, isn't it.

The biggest market in the country for these cars, and no customer cars delivered -- excepting those sold out from under the list at a premium.

Want to take a guess on when the 'lists' start moving? I think around Jan. 1

Well, there is a very high chance that I will give up soon. My M-coupe is DEAD (two engines gone in three months -- first was a minor over-rev at 7250 vs 7000 redline, the second one gave up with no provocation. Last BMW I will own), and I need a new car ASAP. Probably would be getting my Lotus any day now if it weren't for the premium-seeking dealer, but it'll be 3-6 more months, I think. Faced with my current situation I may just get something else and pick one up in a few years (or never). Only realistic alternative is to seek one at a premium, but I won't be gouged too badly.

Lotus may have little control the dealers, but the current situation is not good for Lotus in the long run.
did you have the S54 engine?..I would think so with the engine probs you have had...2 yrs ago when it became clear the S54 engine had bearing/oil starvation issues, I wrote a letter to Roundel regarding this issue and it was published...not a few months later, BMW extended the warranty to all S54 engines to 6 yr/100K...before I sold the M3 this summer, had Balckstone laboratory analyze my oil and it was ok but you always had that fear the engine would let go on the track where steering could freeze up on you...very dangerous...BMW just sent out a notice for service action on all S54's before 3/03 for second time I believe...trying to get more than 100hp per liter is not very easy evidently.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Symbolic reports that they haven't received that many cars yet, but couldn't (wouldn't?) give me an exact number. My car was in build in early August, but no report of a VIN number, shipping date or ETA, although it should/could/might arrive soon. Symbolic still expects to reopen at an LA location in the near future, once they settle on a desirable site, but I've been told that for the past several months (they seem to be using the same calendar that Lotus used for opening the shop in fall 03).

Keep in mind that the first Elise was delivered on July 15th, less than 3 months ago. It's a bit premature to make negative judgements regarding the distribution network. And it's a bit ludicrous for all of us to insist that our cars should already be here.

Cars are arriving and the pace should only pick up in the next few months.

·
Registered
495 Posts
JML, I have it on good word that they had ten cars in August. I am confident they have received more since. Have any been delivered to list customers? Not to the knowledge of anyone on this board.

I wouldn't say it's a 'negative judgment' to state that 'list' car deliveries are being delayed by dealers seeking premiums. That is a fact -- no judgement necessary.

I, for one, am not 'insisting' that my car should be here. But I would certainly feel more confident if SOMEONE on the Symbolic list was getting a car. The point is, why bother with a list if your're just going to sell to the high bidder? I'm fine with that, and I am actively making calls to procure a car. But if I knew the 'lists' meant 'once we sell all we can at a premium we'll get to you, maybe' then I would not have bothered to waste my time getting on the list, and putting down a deposit. Now, when I put the deposit down, I was told they would take care of some 'loyal customers' first, but I can also tell you that they offered me one of the first cars at 10k over sticker in August (un-solicited). I am not a prior customer

Anyway, it'll all be moot soon, as premium days are coming to a close. One E-bay auction just ended to today with a failed high bid of $3780 over sticker (Storm Ti, Sports and Touring pack).

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
grudkin said:
JML, I have it on good word that they had ten cars in August. I am confident they have received more since. Have any been delivered to list customers? Not to the knowledge of anyone on this board.

I wouldn't say it's a 'negative judgment' to state that 'list' car deliveries are being delayed by dealers seeking premiums. That is a fact -- no judgement necessary.

I, for one, am not 'insisting' that my car should be here. But I would certainly feel more confident if SOMEONE on the Symbolic list was getting a car. The point is, why bother with a list if your're just going to sell to the high bidder? I'm fine with that, and I am actively making calls to procure a car. But if I knew the 'lists' meant 'once we sell all we can at a premium we'll get to you, maybe' then I would not have bothered to waste my time getting on the list, and putting down a deposit. Now, when I put the deposit down, I was told they would take care of some 'loyal customers' first, but I can also tell you that they offered me one of the first cars at 10k over sticker in August (un-solicited). I am not a prior customer

Anyway, it'll all be moot soon, as premium days are coming to a close. One E-bay auction just ended to today with a failed high bid of $3780 over sticker (Storm Ti, Sports and Touring pack).
Symbolic has two lists, although it's possible that they have again combined them. So I have assumed that they skimmed 10 cars from each list for sale to those loyal customers and/or highest bidder. They need to get those first 20 cars out of the way before filling orders for normal folks like us. So I don't feel that deliveries are being delayed while they do this, since this already was built into my position on their list.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but it seems that they are working their way towards filling orders for the rest of us. I have no indication that they plan to make me wait while they skim some more cars for sale at a premium, but I suppose that could happen.

Shinoo and Mikester have build dates and seem destined to receive cars in a November/December time frame. I placed my deposit around the same time, but I think that I moved up during the ordering process, hence my August build date and possible October delivery. If I get my car this month that may be reassuring to you. Although I can't pinpoint my slot #, it would appear that I ordered in the high teens.

All of this is a moo point (to quote Joey), because it's cowsh*t until I actually get my car or a VIN number or notification that it's arrived at the port.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts