3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
well I received one few weeks ago, and once i received the notice via mail, I simply trashed it

(they didn't have a clear picture of my face, so they were asking me to write down my information and ship it back)

(notice stated for me not to contact the court house, and did not contain any court information)

I fallowed the fallowing web page for guide lines.

Home - Fighting Red Light Camera Tickets

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I received one few weeks ago, and once i received the notice via mail, I simply trashed it

(they didn't have a clear picture of my face, so they were asking me to write down my information and ship it back)

(notice stated for me not to contact the court house, and did not contain any court information)

I fallowed the fallowing web page for guide lines.

Home - Fighting Red Light Camera Tickets
They call that a "snitch ticket"

·
Registered
96 Posts
They call that a "snitch ticket"
exactly! but yes Red Lights Cameras not only cause accidents but also traffic. We have one right by my workplace due to that intersection it takes me 20 minutes to hop on the freeway, what should take only 4 minutes.

People stop prematurely and just wait! :mad:

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Cameras are for safety AND revenue.

For example, the camera at Sunset & Whittier in Beverly Hills saves lives, I'm sure.

And the Beverly Hills City Council likes the fines...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Cameras are for safety AND revenue.
If they were interested in safety, all they would have to do would be to add a half second to a second to the yellow light duration. That would eliminate essentially all of the "red light running" that the cameras are catching. The red light cameras are purely for revenue - they disguise it as safety. There are far cheaper solutions for safety that would provide actual safety, but there's no money to be made in that.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
If they were interested in safety, all they would have to do would be to add a half second to a second to the yellow light duration...
I think it would be even safer to add half a second to the "all red" duration... long yellows tend to make some people try to beat the red from a further distance, accelerating during the attempt (stupid, but they still do it).

·
Inactive
831 Posts
While I feel that far too many people run red lights and these people receiving tickets is justified, the main issue I have is that in many cases once revenue falls the amber period is reduced (usually to the legal minimum). At this point the camera is clearly there for revenue generation rather than safety, as reducing the amber period increases ticket generation by also increases crashes.

6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit

Keep in mind that the article only lists cities which reduced the amber period below the legal minimum - many other cities have reduced the amber period to the minimum - these are the ones placing profit over safety.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit

Keep in mind that the article only lists cities which reduced the amber period below the legal minimum - many other cities have reduced the amber period to the minimum - these are the ones placing profit over safety.
It can even be more sneaky that the ones listed in the link.

DC had a signal/red light camera that shorted every third yellow light. That way, when someone timed it, they were the legal minimum unless they kept checking through four cycles of the light. But that was exactly what someone with enough clout did - and he sued the city over it. They had to refund the fines paid by all the people that were "busted" at that light. They then discontinued that red light camera, because no one ever ran it...

Keep in mind that often the city is not liable. They contract the operation of the red light cameras out to private companies that operate the red light cameras for the city in exchange for a major part of the profits.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Many cities (Bolingbrook, IL and Dallas, TX to name two) are removing their redlight cameras, admitting they cost more to operate than they generate in revenue.

Boulder and Denver and just now installing them, citing not revenue generation but safety "experiments" as the reason they are trying a few. Both cities' traffic safety managers acknowledge the NHTSA studies that show the cameras increase low-speed rear-end collisons at intersections, but think the trade off is worth it if they prevent increased side impact collisions at intersections where they're installed. So we're getting a few and they'll se how they go, but they note up front that they cameras will cost money, not make it here.

Tom

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If you lengthen the yellow light, the people who currently run the red light will try to make it through from farther away.

If more people stop when they see a yellow light because of the cameras, and more rear-end collisions result, then blame the people who are following too closely, not the cameras. If the police were there at the intersection in person, would you blame their enforcement of the law if someone stops at a red light and gets hit from behind?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Safety ? rotflrotflrotfl:panic:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Got my 2nd cop based "yellow ticket" today

Entered intersection on yellow.

Light turns red as I am underneath. Legal I believe, as I entered under yellow.

Cop says "I saw green as you passed."

Cops word is literally law, so I have to pay. again.

Bring on the computers, they at least won't take the photo until the light is red. we have 2 photo lights in town. I am very careful not to even speed past them, you never know when they might "upgrade" them to speed cameras, too, right?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you think you're gonna run a redlight with a camera, slam down your sun visor really fast so they cannot take a pic of your face.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Entered intersection on yellow.
Bring on the computers, they at least won't take the photo until the light is red.
And also thanks to computers, you can easily avoid the red light camera's as well!
as there's places online where you can download their locations into your GPS!
(like this one GPS POI US, LLC rlcPOI Details)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts