2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday January 2nd, 2004. 9:30 am

The Original Pantry
877 S Figueroa St
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Corner of 9th and Figueroa
map

Be aware that there are 2 seperate parts: the corner diner and the bakery on figueroa right next door. Both locations have the same food, but different lines and are not directly attached. The corner diner is smaller, so if we are a large group, the bakery is better.

I will try and make a reservation (although, dont hold your breath, dont think they take reservations).

Anyway, it would be nice to know how many people are going, so I can reserve accordingly. I'm bringing 4-6.

Sorry this post is so early, but I'm going on holiday in a week and will therefore be online less. For those who are coming, I can PM you a mobile # if you want to contact me in LA to meet up. If you cant make breakfast, I'm sure some of us might want to meet up afterwards for some drinks/beer/food.

Door to the Auto Show opens at 11am. Tickets are $10. If you go to an Chevron station, or a local car dealer, might be able to get a $2 discount. I will try to get my friends from LA to collect a stockpile to bring to the show for us.

Hope to see many of you there!
Lillie

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't like making plans but would like to be there in time for breakfast. I think I'm just gonna drive over, it should be easier than dealing with holiday air travel. I have a party here on New Year's Eve and have to watch Michigan spank on USC in the Rose Bowl. I just don't know where I'm gonna be waking up on the 1st to get ready and blast to Cali to watch the game or wait til it's over and drive out later. Worst case, I'm all kinds of hungover all day, go to sleep early and drive over on the morning of the second in which I probably won't be able to make breakfast but hope to see you all at the show.

MW, can I have your number even if I didn't plan on coming?;) :p

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I plan to come to breakfast. Bring cash, the Pantry doesn't accept credit cards. And supposedly they don't take reservations, but it might be a little quiet downtown during the holidays, so hopefully we can get in without much problem.

Michigan will wish that the BS (oops, I meant BCS) computers had sent USC to the Sugar Bowl after SC stomps them into the Rose Bowl turf!! Actually, my alma mater kept USC out of the Sugar Bowl by beating them in triple overtime, so I'm not that concerned about what happens to SC. But I do live here, so I guess I need to root for them. I'm sure the BCS folks want Michigan to win to avoid a possible split national championship.

·
Registered
296 Posts
jml1952 said:
I'm sure the BCS folks want Michigan to win to avoid a possible split national championship.
As far as I'm concerned it is the Championship game. I know SC and UofM could beat either LSU of OK if given the chance. In order to keep this thread from being hijacked, should we start a bowl thread? Do you guys do pools or interested in joining some? We could make our own for fun and the winner gets VIP treatment at our first meet or something fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I should be there as well, with the little lady.

Just changed our holiday plans around & I'll be on the front end of the auto show instead of the tail end :)

~FJ

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Roll Call for the 2nd!

People who will be there-

Randy Chase
Mikester
Andrew
MattG
Modern Wedgie (+4-6) She has an entourage!
BrianK
zvezdah1 (Chris) +1
andykeck
Kev111
Allan Gibbs
jml1952
Vantage
MacMan
Neil (littlebastard)
LarryB (+1-2)
grudkin
FilthyJason (+1)
CHRISN
pdemaio (+1)

People who might will be there? or will be arriving after breakfast-

L8BRAKR
pcpacker
jonM3Coupe
drrjv
brookester
420HP

People who are coming in later-
tli
hermanslotus
Robert Puertas
cbolz

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Can this place handle 30+ people at one time? :eek:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
FYI,
I posted to a message board on the pantry,see if they can help us determine whether they can fit us.

Failing that perhaps the Holiday Inn convention center across the street?

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Here's the reply I got from the LA CHowhound message board.
Chris

>>>>>>>>

Subject: Re(5): The Original Pantry
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 16:17:40

In Reply To: Re(4): The Original Pantry
Posted by LBQT on December 23, 2003 at 17:51:32

HI Can someone help me here please! A group of us (about 30 people) are planning a meetup on the morning of 2 Jan. Is this restaurant large enough for this size group?
Need to know asap as we need to make alternate arrangements if not big enough.
Thanks
Chris Smith

Subject: Re(6): The Original Pantry
Name: WLA
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 16:45:05

In Reply To: Re(5): The Original Pantry
Posted by chris on December 28, 2003 at 16:17:40

I don't think the Pantry would work for your purposes. You might want to call them just to see what they would say, but I am doubtful.

[ Post A Reply ] [ Chowhound's Los Angeles Area Message Board ]
<<<<<<<<<<

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Just back from my little field trip to the Pantry.

I arrived about 9:30 am to see how it looked. The corner diner section was full (entrance on 9th). Two guys waiting to get in.

The bakery section next door (entrance on Figueroa) was less crowded. A couple of tables for 6 were open, as well as some tables for 4 or 2. About 20 people could have been seated immediately. There seemed to be a fair amount of turnover, so even if you have to wait, it might not take that long.

Both sections have counter space, but these seats were all full while I was there. I think some people prefer that.

Who knows how it will look on Friday? But it seems manageable. At least there were no long lines outside on the sidewalk. You can't wait for a table inside the restaurant, so if the weather is bad it could be difficult to stand around. However, the Corner Cafe is at 8th and Figueroa in an emergency (pleasant but rather bland looking).

By the way, the Pantry offers some of the biggest pancakes that I have ever seen!

The Convention Center is about 3 blocks away down Figueroa.

Can't wait for Friday.

Michael

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
So we just go for it and forget getting one table for 30. Just split into groups and have them seat us accordingly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts