The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LA Auto show summary
(combination of press release info, speech info, and personal observations)

On sale "late May 2004"

MSRP $39,985

Touring Pack $1,350
* full leather seating w/perforated trim
* electric windows
* upgraded Blaupunkt stereo w/MP3 player
* interior stowage net
* double insulated (thermal & sound) soft top
* additional sound deadening
* "enhanced" full carpet set

Sports Pack $2,480
* larger, lightweight forged aluminum alloy wheels
* track-tuned Lotus Sports suspension
* adjustable ride height
* Elise-specific Yokohama A048LTS tires

body-color hardtop $1,475

3-yr/36,000 mile warranty

Lotus-tuned Toyota 2ZZ-GE 1.8L 4cyl 16-valve w/VVTL-i
all-aluminum Toyota C64 six-speed manual gearbox
190 hp @ 7800 rpm (> 100 hp/liter)
138 lb ft @ 6800 rpm

4-wheel independent suspension
Eibach coil springs
Bilstein monotube gas shock absorbers
175/55R16, 225/45R17 Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 LTS tires (designed specifically for the Elise)

AP Racing twin-piston aluminum front brake calipers
Brembo single-piston rear brake calipers
ABS

reflectors attached to wheel well edges (not easily removed--holes in body)
twin exhaust pipes that extend out of the diffuser
silver "LOTUS" letters on rear exterior instead of round yellow/green badge

composite sport seats
dual airbags, including the world's most compact driver's side airbag
extruded aluminum pedals

0-60 mph in 4.9 sec
top speed "almost" 150 mph
> 30 mpg

1,975 lbs, including standard A/C, ABS, power windows, & dual airbags

body made from closed mold composite material that are thinner and lighter than hand-laid glass fiber

500,000 miles of testing on 2 continents

more than 17,000 Elises produced to-date, by far the best selling Lotus ever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
Thanks for the summary and photos Dan. :cool:

So, did you come away impressed? What are you personal gut impressions of the car? Your like/dislikes after seeing it in person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
"1,975 lbs, including standard A/C, ABS, power windows, & dual airbags"

Confused by this. According to the touring package, power windows are an option and not standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
Oh, any mention of financing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Dan said:
LA Auto show summary
(combination of press release info, speech info, and personal observations)

On sale "late May 2004"

MSRP $39,985

Touring Pack $1,350
* full leather seating w/perforated trim
* electric windows
* upgraded Blaupunkt stereo w/MP3 player
* interior stowage net
* double insulated (thermal & sound) soft top
* additional sound deadening
* "enhanced" full carpet set

Sports Pack $2,480
* larger, lightweight forged aluminum alloy wheels
* track-tuned Lotus Sports suspension
* adjustable ride height
* Elise-specific Yokohama A048LTS tires

body-color hardtop $1,475

3-yr/36,000 mile warranty

Lotus-tuned Toyota 2ZZ-GE 1.8L 4cyl 16-valve w/VVTL-i
all-aluminum Toyota C64 six-speed manual gearbox
190 hp @ 7800 rpm (> 100 hp/liter)
138 lb ft @ 6800 rpm

4-wheel independent suspension
Eibach coil springs
Bilstein monotube gas shock absorbers
175/55R16, 225/45R17 Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 LTS tires (designed specifically for the Elise)

AP Racing twin-piston aluminum front brake calipers
Brembo single-piston rear brake calipers
ABS

reflectors attached to wheel well edges (not easily removed--holes in body)
twin exhaust pipes that extend out of the diffuser
silver "LOTUS" letters on rear exterior instead of round yellow/green badge

composite sport seats
dual airbags, including the world's most compact driver's side airbag
extruded aluminum pedals

0-60 mph in 4.9 sec
top speed "almost" 150 mph
> 30 mpg

1,975 lbs, including standard A/C, ABS, power windows, & dual airbags

body made from closed mold composite material that are thinner and lighter than hand-laid glass fiber

500,000 miles of testing on 2 continents

more than 17,000 Elises produced to-date, by far the best selling Lotus ever
Ok... I'm thinking this all sound quite good

Seems we also get twin-piston brakes up front.
Composite seats to.
It says the body is composite. So the Body is no longer made from fiber glass?
What do they mean by "composite"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
Re: Re: LA Auto show summary

Derek said:
Ok... I'm thinking this all sound quite good

Seems we also get twin-piston brakes up front.
Composite seats to.
It says the body is composite. So the Body is no longer made from fiber glass?
What do they mean by "composite"?
Possibly a composite of fiberglass and graphite?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Jon said:
"1,975 lbs, including standard A/C, ABS, power windows, & dual airbags"

Confused by this. According to the touring package, power windows are an option and not standard.

Probably indicating that the A/C is standard. This is probably the lightest configuration as I've heard that the power windows are actually lighter than the manuals.

I'm hoping some inquisitive soul attending the show soon cna find out what the weight differences are for the different packages. Does the sound deadening add a little or a lot of weight? What is the difference in the wheels? You get the idea.

Now the wait becomes unbearable as I see just how cool this is going to be. Excellent!

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
From these pictures I have made up my mind on LRG with biscuit interior, now i just need to decide if I really need electric windows and a cargo net, since the partial leather seats still look nice and i don't really need the rest of the items in the touring package.

Also, what's that below the air vent? Glove box or fold out cup holder?:D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
Sorry, but in the 21st century, roll up windows are cheap looking. I have them in my 2002 Kia Rio and don't want them in my 40K Elise. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Good report, Dan. Thanks.

If it's not coming until late May, I don't think you are an imminent owner though.

What happened to April???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Lumn8r said:
Also, what's that below the air vent? Glove box or fold out cup holder?:D
That was where the speakers were before they placed them on top of the dash. I guess it could be a little cubby hole now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
ex-M3 said:
That was where the speakers were before they placed them on top of the dash. I guess it could be a little cubby hole now.
According to the 2005 order guide there are 4 speakers. Also in the pictures from last month of the red pearl there were speakers up there. It looks kind of strange and undone in these new photos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,193 Posts
tidalwdave said:
Sorry, but in the 21st century, roll up windows are cheap looking. I have them in my 2002 Kia Rio and don't want them in my 40K Elise. :(
Easily remedied. Swap your 40k Elise for a 41.5k Elise :)
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
Some of the interiors, including the silver one shown, were not complete and do not 100% reflect the finished product. Having said that, I have no idea what that is. I will ask.
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
Great write up Dan, and nice meeting you.

I have some pics and thoughts...but it's very late and I worked the show all day.

Some quick thoughts...

The Silver looks as good in person as it did to me in the pics. So does the yellow. I am leaning back to Silver and in fact, I think I am done thinking about colors.

Thr red leather was quite nice, sort of antique looking with a hint of brown.

The seats with leather are nothing to worry about slipping when you drive. The side bolsters are very grippy and you have nowhere to slip.

The new interior is nice. The dimpled dash bits look great.

I liked the gauges. A bit colorful when lit up. When you first turn them on, it's like a Christmas Tree. But then the back glow settles into an antique looking amber.

The ENGINE ON switch also glows the same color.

I know a lot of people have a problem with those side indicators, but I don't think they were that bad, and they looked interesting when lit up with the 4 LEDs.

The exhaust tips look just fine exiting out the center bottom. You can barely see them and they appear very functional.

The lotus badged valve cover is nice. So is the Lotus ECU as far as looks.

The trunk is smaller than I remember. :) And it looks like one should be careful about what you carry in there so as to not damage the inside.

The padded soft top is very plushy. You can certainly feel the difference. It's a better insulator than the hardtops.

Hardtops if ordered afterwards are the same price but will be delivered unpainted.

They will not sell bits of the LSS. You can only order a kit. That includes wheels and tires.

There appears to be enough inside clearance for a 205 tire on the front. The problem may be the body wheel fender. The travel of the tire may hit the body unless some measures are taken. Moving the rims out using spacers will make this worse.

The new LSS rims are nice, but I like the regular ones better.

The booth looks great! I love the details.

Clyde's shoes seemed to be holding up. My feet were not.

Lotus letters on the rear look very good.

Standard cloth is only in black. Optional Touring leather is black, biscuit, or red.

Bad news for me... NO LSD. No plans on adding it ever at this point. You can add it aftermarket, but they are not going to be doing it. It was mentioned some odd (not good) characteristics that developed when they tried LSD at high speeds.

I had a very long talk with Neal about the LSS and some other suspension issues. He was very helpful and informative.

In a very general sense, seeing the cars and all, reminded me why I loved this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Glad to see that Lotus confirmed what I've been saying all along - no LSD is needed.

Granted auto-x is a different animal and they may not have looked as closely at the low speed lift that people are saying is going to be an issue, but Lotus needs to look out for the masses and not the auto-x crowd.

People have indicated that in high speed transitions that the LSD can unbalance the car. I haven't had a problem with wheel lift in my Exige in almost two years of tracking the car.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top