The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
That's not exactly the plan for the caravan. We will be leaving at 6am and taking the 101 and hopefully arriving at the event around 1ish. For those that want to take the PCH I would recommend splitting off from the group around SLO.

The PCH is a beautiful drive and if you never driven it before it really is a must do drive, but unless you start early in the morning (in SLO) you may end up behind an RV going 25mph. Which is great, but I don't want people to think they're going to be doing any spirited driving.

Cheers,
Jacob

·
Registered
807 Posts
you may end up behind an RV going 25mph.
this is the automotive equivalent of being locked up in a maximum security prison and sharing a cell with jerry lewis. it is the worst. and many times, it's not an RV, but a Pontiac G6/Chevy Cobalt/Chrysler Sebring/"insert stereotypical rental car here" with a retired couple from North Daakotah who have no concept of yielding to traffic. and it's a two laned road with a solid no passing yellow.

that said, i'll be with the 101 group!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I made the drive up PCH last fall. I spent the night in San Simeon and got up at sunrise to beat trafic and head north towards Big Sur. This is the best part of the drive, best twisty bits and breath taking views. I made it about 5 miles down the road and was coming to the first uphill twisty section and there were 2 gravel hauling trucks in front of me :wallbang:, worse luck than the dreaded RV. Much to my surprise they truckers saw me behind them, pulled over onto the shoulder of the road stopped and waved me by. As I passed the lead driver gave me a big thumbs up out the window and 2 blasts of his horn as if to say have fun. I didn't see another car all the way to Big Sur, incredible! I'll never forget that drive as long as I live.

Have fun guys, wish I was joining you.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made the drive up PCH last fall. I spent the night in San Simeon and got up at sunrise to beat trafic and head north towards Big Sur. This is the best part of the drive, best twisty bits and breath taking views. [...] I'll never forget that drive as long as I live.
This is my expectation. The best drive I've ever done, in any car, was during the WCLM at Morro Bay a couple years back. Randy made us get out of bed at like 5:30a for the drive - and I hated him for it. Until we drove that is.

He, myself, Jacob, and some guy named Roland cruised in a pack, ahead of the rest, up PCH to Big Sur and had one hell of a good time. Even the drive back, in light traffic, was pretty amazing. Especially passing Morgan when his Elan was flat out at about 55 knots, or whatever unit of speed he uses in that thing.

That drive is effectively what I'm trying to recreate and exceed. Sadly, no one else here seems to have any interest in doing this with me (read: you are all lame). My P-Car buddy is unable to make it now, so f it, I'm hitting it solo. I'm planning on leaving now on Thursday evening, and staying somewhere around the SLO / Pismo / Lompoc area. I was hoping to camp on the beach - but there don't seem to be any available campgrounds. Then Friday morning cruising the coast, taking lots of pictures, and having lots of fun.

Actually, Patricko might cruise up with me on Thursday - but he has to carjack a Lotus first.

Thanks for your words of inspiration Sean. Wish you could make it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
CJ, the memory of the early morning Big Sur run was one of the best I have had. Glad we did it.

Do to my commitment to Leno's Garage, I am heading up Wednesday instead, probably leaving Paramount area around 11:00am. Heading back down 1 on Sunday afternoon. I will leave early, as I want to be back in San Diego before midnight. I might leave around 2:00-2:30pm Sunday.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
IBCJ said:
Especially passing Morgan when his Elan was flat out at about 55 knots, or whatever unit of speed he uses in that thing.

Yeah, try that now... :D :shift:

That was an awesome drive, and to think I almost bailed on it

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm planning on leaving now on Thursday evening, and staying somewhere around the SLO / Pismo / Lompoc area. I was hoping to camp on the beach - but there don't seem to be any available campgrounds. Then Friday morning cruising the coast, taking lots of pictures, and having lots of fun.

Actually, Patricko might cruise up with me on Thursday - but he has to carjack a Lotus first.
CJ, we'll be driving up Thursday afternoon and staying in SLO for the night. Seems like you copied us (read: copy-cat). We'll then make out way to Concorso Friday morning. But we won't have our 55 knot Elan, we'll be in Autobahn cruising BMW's!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CJ, the memory of the early morning Big Sur run was one of the best I have had. Glad we did it.
Agreed. It was a good time. I can sleep in any ol' time. :)

Do to my commitment to Leno's Garage, I am heading up Wednesday instead, probably leaving Paramount area around 11:00am. Heading back down 1 on Sunday afternoon. I will leave early, as I want to be back in San Diego before midnight. I might leave around 2:00-2:30pm Sunday.
My plan right now is to return early Monday morning. If for any reason I do decide to leave Sunday afternoon, I'll definitely chase you back Randy. Have you plotted a route for return yet? What car are you driving up?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CJ, we'll be driving up Thursday afternoon and staying in SLO for the night. Seems like you copied us (read: copy-cat). We'll then make out way to Concorso Friday morning. But we won't have our 55 knot Elan, we'll be in Autobahn cruising BMW's!!!
I love that Bimmer. I'm leaving mine at home and taking the British Rattle Trap. When are you guys leaving? Where are you staying? Let me know via PM, we should meet up somewhere. Are you taking the PCH or the 101 up to Monterey on Friday?

Will be great to see you guys - either on the drive up or once there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts