The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first autocross runs on Saturday at Hollywood park.

The whole thing was a real blast and made me appreciate this car all the more as I found, and in some cases went past, the limits.

The event itself was great. As you can imagine the car itself got a lot of attention. It was the first elise to make it an LA Autocross. I had a bunch of people volunteering to be my instructor for the first run. The guy who did ride along (I wish I could remember his name) did a great job of calming me down and pointing out where I should be going. Despite me taking it relatively easy My first time of the day was 60.3 (compared to the best time of the day by a 60's Elan with slicks and mods of 51.9)

Second time out I pushed too hard, and spend a bunch of time going sideways. I spun the wheel so much that at one point I knocked the wipers on. Not a good run. I came in with a 60.4

Third run I found the joys of lift off oversteer and demolished 5 cones in a double apex slalom. I managed to catch it but I need to read the thread about removing cone marks....

I started calming down and learning how to use the trottle in the corners. by the end of the day I recorded a 57.0 time. Given that it was my first time out and I was running an entirely stock car without the sports setup that seemed like a really competitive time.

I did find it difficult to find something to compare it to. It was well ahead of the S2000s, the Z06's and the old MR2s there. but with one make of car there seemed to be massive variation. I didn't know whether that was because of the driver or that they were modding stuff and running in a different class.

I'll be out there again as soon as I can. That was great fun.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Steve W said:
I did find it difficult to find something to compare it to. It was well ahead of the S2000s, the Z06's and the old MR2s there. but with one make of car there seemed to be massive variation. I didn't know whether that was because of the driver or that they were modding stuff and running in a different class.
The variation is driver. And you will learn who consistently does what and how to gauge against them.

P.S. We had my Elise at an LA autocross (end of August), so technically you are second Elise. :)

I hope to see you at the next one. And consider coming to San Diego!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be great to drive with other elises. That would really give me something to shoot for. As for San Diego, I'd love to make it down there for a run too, but it looks like the next event I'm going to able to make will be the October 30-31 at California Speedway provided they go ahead with it.

I modify my claim to 2nd Elise at an autocross in LA.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Glad you had fun, Steve. I love the oversteer comment!

Just compete against yourself and remember that at autoXs you are given the chance to drive recklessly, aggressively, and to do things you'd never dream of on the street----and you get away with all of it! :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*grin*

I'm actually fairly surprised that I didn't spin. I did achieve by goal though. I now know a lot more about the extreme handling of this car. I've got a lot more to learn, but Saturday was a great start.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts