The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is pretty random but is there any way of me renting an elise in LA and driving it to vegas? Maybe drive it there and back?

My neighbor wants to go to vegas for a week as he only has 2 months before his holiday runs out at work. I would go with him If I can get an Elise rental to drive across the state (I own an Elise and think they are awesome!!!).

Any ideas are appreciated!

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
If you own an Elise, why not take yours? Or are you trying to find one for the neighbor to drive?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you own an Elise, why not take yours? Or are you trying to find one for the neighbor to drive?
I live in England, taking my Elise is not an option.

$250 a day seems alot considering I would only be driving it for a day there and a day back. Are there any companies that let me drive it from LA to Vegas and not back?

EDIT* Are there any other sports cars that we could do this with if not available to the Elise?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I live in England, taking my Elise is not an option.

$250 a day seems alot considering I would only be driving it for a day there and a day back. Are there any companies that let me drive it from LA to Vegas and not back?

EDIT* Are there any other sports cars that we could do this with if not available to the Elise?
I really doubt an exotic car rental branch will allow you to take their vehicle one-way and drop it in another city. If they do... then they will probably have another branch in that city but they'll charge you a hefty one-way drop fee. There are many exotic car rental places in LA and vegas. Lotus will be the cheapest rental... gallardo's and stuff will be like $1,500-$3,000 a day.

Let me google that for you

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
So if you do end up doing it - be SURE to drive with a radar detector and keep your speed under control. California and Nevada Highway Patrol cruisers and aircraft patrol the highways (especially 15) from LA to Las Vegas on a constant basis and are very aggressive in terms of speed law enforcement. Be safe and maintain good situational awareness.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really doubt an exotic car rental branch will allow you to take their vehicle one-way and drop it in another city. If they do... then they will probably have another branch in that city but they'll charge you a hefty one-way drop fee. There are many exotic car rental places in LA and vegas. Lotus will be the cheapest rental... gallardo's and stuff will be like $1,500-$3,000 a day.

Let me google that for you
Thanks for the help (Even though that letmegooglethatforyou site makes me feel really dumb...).

I will certainly look into it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be SURE to drive with a radar detector and keep your speed under control. California and Nevada Highway Patrol cruisers and aircraft patrol the highways (especially 15) from LA to Las Vegas on a constant basis and are very aggressive in terms of speed law enforcement. Be safe and maintain good situational awareness.
I know this is the other way, but when I was in vegas last month I flew in a chopper over arizona and the one road from vegas to AZ was completely deserted, not a car or even a house within miles. Is it really that strict?

I am gathering from the early signs of this thread that I am not going to be able to rent an Elise for less than about $1800 for a week?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Also the Elise I rented had a 100 mile limit and was something like 50 cents a mile after that. La to Vegas is 278 miles one way. I highly doubt you will find a company that will let you drop it off but you could check with Rent Lotus Elise at Rent a Vette - Las Vegas they had an office in San Diego and one in Vegas last time I checked.

Also check on insurance, in California if you wreck a rental car you are not only responsible for the damage but also lost time and income for the rental company while the car is in the shop. This would be a hell of a lot of money and the rental car company would be in no hurry to rush the shop, why should they when you are paying full rates daily on a car sitting in a garage ?

You might consider flying or driving to Vegas then renting their Elise , there are some great roads north of Vegas and you could cruise the strip in style at night ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
You couldn't pay me to drive from LA to Vegas in an Elise. That drive is so boring. Doing it in an Elise would be painful. No twisties and not many turns period. It's just straight into the desert...

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
You couldn't pay me to drive from LA to Vegas in an Elise. That drive is so boring. Doing it in an Elise would be painful. No twisties and not many turns period. It's just straight into the desert...
A good point , it is a painfully boring straight drive, like where you spot a mountain 20 miles off in the distance and the road is heading straight for it and it never seems to get any closer kind of drive. And it is either really really hot or really really cold, rarely in between, and to top it off tons of speed traps.

Fly into Vegas, I think South West goes every half hour at like $50 ? Rent that Elise , at $175 a day for 4 days, rip around north of Vegas, Hoover dam, be a player on the strip, then fly back to LA

PS . you could check to see if it is possible to drive around Spring Mountain raceway for a couple of laps- north of Vegas, but I don't think you can, worth asking though - or better yet take their 1 day Elise driving course it was one of the funnest days I have had !: Lotus Cars USA | Performance Driving School
Also cool, the Shelby factory is just outside of Vegas at the speedway and is a fun tour if you care about that kind of thing: Factory Tours USA

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I know this is the other way, but when I was in vegas last month I flew in a chopper over arizona and the one road from vegas to AZ was completely deserted, not a car or even a house within miles. Is it really that strict?

I am gathering from the early signs of this thread that I am not going to be able to rent an Elise for less than about $1800 for a week?
I drove from the SF Bay Area to Las Vegas (to go the Lotus Performance Driving School outside LV) in October including travelling on Highway 15 from Barstow to LV, which I assume is the route you will take, and saw about a dozen California Highway Patrol on the California stretch, and one Nevada Highway Patrol on 15 on the Nevada stretch. I know you wouldn't speed anyway, but just exercise extra caution on that route to be safe.

BTW - the most heavily patrolled section on my route was around Mojave, CA (Highway 58), which was absolutely saturated with CHP (all working moving radars).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know you wouldn't speed anyway.
LOL. :panic:

Well, I made this thread drunk last night and it seemed like a great idea at the time. I never realised how hot they are on speeders in the US. In the UK almost everybody speeds and never gets caught.

Ah well, it was an idea. Thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts