The Lotus Cars Community banner

Lack of Hollister knowledge -- good or bad?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the other week I went down to the State Fair, y'know. While enjoying a tasty treat from the "Big Fat Bacon" stand, a realization smacked me upside the head. All these people around me were wearing "Hollister" shirts, and I had no idea what it was all about. Truly, it appeared that 1 of 3 people were wearing something with this name on it. Astounding! :eek:

Following a brief investigation, I realized that Hollister is (cue Wikipedia quote):

"an American lifestyle brand from parent brand and company Abercrombie & Fitch Co.; inspired by the Southern California laid-back, surfing lifestyle. Goods are available in-store and at hollisterco.com."

This was news to me. I have since discovered that I might be the only person in the USA to be unaware of Hollister.

My question to you is whether this is good or bad?

I guess I don't go to shopping malls very often. :shrug:

I questioned the neighbor children about this phenomenon, and the 14 yr old boy said his sister "has, like, 12 Hollister items", to which the 11 yr old girl said "No way, it's only, like, 6". So apparently there is a growing discontent with the items. One must have some Hollister apparel, which is "cool", but not too much, or it would be "uncool".

But I digress, back to the question, is my lack of Hollister knowledge good or bad?

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Since you are not part of the demographic who are aware of and wearing the brand, I would argue that it is observant of you to notice a cultural phenomena that could just as easily go unnoticed. You are, however, a little slow to pick up on this.

By the way, it's time to retire that Members Only jacket of yours. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, it's time to retire that Members Only jacket of yours. :)
I will if you will ... though we might be the only members left. We're exclusive again! :bow: to us, non-members!

·
Registered
205 Posts
today it's Hollister for lifestyle surfing Cali-slacker coolness! Neat-o!

yesterday it was Ocean Pacific and Hang Ten. rotfl

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those kids are going to be seriously disappointed when they show up with their surf boards in Hollister. Of course the San Andreas fault runs right through town, so maybe they just have to wait a while and Hollister will be a beach town.

·
Registered
308 Posts
May want to lose that purple and green Arctic Cat parka as well....Hollister Ranch is a big deal in the surfing community, north of Santa Barbara, 14,500 acres divided up into 100 acre lots, not cheap to buy into, not your typical surfer dudes,several miles of private coastline. Not sure if this is the Hollister being marketed on T-shirts... the other Californian Hollister is a former ranching town, now a commute suburb for Silicon Valley, pretty popular with the Harley crowd.

Jim

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
today it's Hollister for lifestyle surfing Cali-slacker coolness! Neat-o!

yesterday it was Ocean Pacific and Hang Ten. rotfl
Regarding OP, by yesterday, do you mean 20+ yrs ago? I recall being really cool with my light blue OP shirt with a diagram of a wave on it. It could be that OP has ridden a number of waves :rolleyes: (of popularity) up and down.

Let us not forget in all of this fun, that the critical thing is the look, not whether you actually surf. Unless all the farmboys at the MN state fair are surfers in disguise.

These days I prefer my Patagonia fleece, for I am a mountain climber!

Thanks for all the "good" votes. I'll show it to the neighbor children, and they will know I'm alright.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I prefer TapOut and/or Affliction craze to Hollister...err wait, what's Hollister??

·
Registered
685 Posts
I walked into a Hollister store once looking for cargo shorts. The largest size was 28. And I was easily the oldest shopper there.

But it's only today that I know the parent company is A & F. I have been wearing A & F since 1990.

So if you have a T-shirt or 2 by A & F, you are family (to the Hollister-ers) :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Makes me wonder if Hollister is secretly sponsoring this site :shrug:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I noticed this and immediately thought of "The Wild One," Booze Fighters, etc. Obviously, I am in the wrong demographic.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Makes me wonder if Hollister is secretly sponsoring this site :shrug:
No, but I get $1/view and $5/response. Sweet money roll on in ... Hollister is determined to reach the last 1% that's not heard of them. Then A&F will come up with a new, totally cool brand that will become the must-wear name of the season. This new brand might have something to do with surf culture, I hear, and be really really authentic.

I can't wait ... I'm gonna catch this new train right at the start!

Booze Fighters?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 19 and I voted "good" because I think A&F is the root of all evil (along with politics and organized religion, but that's a different thread).

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had no clue who/what Hollister is / was, but apparently the the ad engine did ... sort of. You should buy the neighborhood kids one of these CDs :rolleyes:
hollister3.JPG

I'm 19 and I voted "good" because I think A&F is the root of all evil (along with politics and organized religion, but that's a different thread).
I don't know much about A&F, but I do think that our society's obsession with celebrity and pop culture is disturbing at best.:huh:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Wikipedia quote):

"an American lifestyle brand from parent brand and company Abercrombie & Fitch Co.; inspired by the Southern California laid-back, surfing lifestyle. Goods are available in-store and at hollisterco.com."

Interesting in that Hollister is a Northern California town not at all known for surfing. It is quite a ways from any surfing and not known for much of anything except an earthquake fault with a potential for real damage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts