The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beings that the Elise does not have power steering, how does this affect the driving experience? I have never driven a car without it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You won't miss it. The car is light enough that it is unnecessary. All you notice is that it is a little harder to turn the wheel when stationary, but you can probably still do it with one hand.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Have a mid-engine car with a extra 800 lbs, no power steering. As light as the Elise is no real need for it. It'll give you a more direct linear feedback. With the shorter stiffer sidewalls and light weight even at parking lots speeds it wouldn't be very heavy (the euro car wasn't).

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I've driven a euro-spec Elise. The steering does not feel particularly "heavy" or difficult in any way. It makes for a very direct, immediate driving experience. If you've ever driven a kart, the steering experience is similar to that.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I can't wait for it.

After driving the 111S demo, I got back into my M3 and it felt like I was driving a Buick--that floaty. And this was after just a 10 minute test drive.

(not that the new M3's are that great in steering feel in the first place though)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
RareAir23 said:
Beings that the Elise does not have power steering, how does this affect the driving experience? I have never driven a car without it.
LOL. Do you need power steering on a bicycle? Seriously, it does not need it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. It's just something I had no idea about. When I think no power steering, I guess I think 50's era with giant steering wheels doing the windmill turn.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think the item that took more getting used to than the lack of power steering on the Euro spec cars was the lack of power assisted brakes. I almost thought the brakes weren't working, but ended up loving the feel.

Does the brake pedal have a good feel on the Fed car? The excessive travel reports are a bit disappointing.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Vantage said:

Does the brake pedal have a good feel on the Fed car? The excessive travel reports are a bit disappointing.
I think travel is one of things that is very relative. Compared to my shifter kart, the Elise has too much travel. :)

I thought the brakes felt great on the Elise and did not notice any extra travel.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
When I test drove a Euro Elise back in December, I could tell it did not have power steering, but it's not as bad as older cars that didn't have power steering.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My Europa didn't have power steering and it was terrific now my Seven doesn't have power anything and it is definately the most responsive car I have driven. Once you go without all the boosted, isolated, power features you will not want to go back.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My NSX doesn't have power steering and it's no problem at all.

I don't anticipate any issues with the Elise.

-Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMO, the main benefit of power steering (at least a good one) is to make the steering effort consistent between slow and quick driving. I've driven NSX's with and without power steering. I like the feel of the NSX with power steering because I don't have to adjust for the steering effort differences when the car is slow or fast (you can notice the difference on the track trying to make a slow turn vs going on a fast sweeper). Granted, the NSX probably has one of the best power steering system out there, which also points to the fact that steering feel is more than a function of whether there is or there isn't power steering.

That aside, I'm perfectly fine not having the power steering on the Elise, and I don't really see myself trying to parallel park the Elise on the hills of San Francisco. I'll be more concerned about break-ins and other cars touching it anyway.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Power steering would totally kill the elise!!
Chris
hi Chris

how are the breaks on your car? Some of us have been reading of long pedal travel and not so good feedback.

thanks!
Ara

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Ara,
I think the brakes are great. Haven't had to get on them really hard but I don't really get the sensation that the feel is vague in anyway. Didn't notice overly pedal travel when braking/
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I never felt that the brakes required too much pedal either. They felt great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Power steering would totally kill the elise!!
Chris
Yah, a car without powersteering allows the driver to feel the road quite a bit more. Great for precision driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts