The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do we really have a flat, so hopefully I won't get stuck out in the middle of nowhere if it happens.

I know it comes with some sort of flat tire kit (can of fix-a-flat?)

Does anyone know if one of those space-saver spares will fit in the trunk?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think a space saver spare and a jack/iron should fit in the trunk with a bit of room to spare. You might want to tie it down somehow so it doesn't slam into the taillight assemblies as you drive.

How do you like your 86 MR2? I've been thinking of getting one after my current car's lease is up, but before I get an Elise. How has reliability been for you?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
strawtarget said:
I think a space saver spare and a jack/iron should fit in the trunk with a bit of room to spare. You might want to tie it down somehow so it doesn't slam into the taillight assemblies as you drive.
Seeing as the front and rear are different sizes what are you going to do with the other spare?

Fix a flat and AAA:)

Patrick
2005 Elise and AAA card in pocket

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Flats? I have had just one in about 20 years of driving every day. Ran over a what I believe was a gas cap, business side up.

Nails that cause slow leaks? Plenty. That's why I do a visual check of all four tires at least every other day, and a PSI check with a gauge once a week.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a spare tire.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Fix-a-flat, AAA membership card and a cellphone.

I upgraded my CA AAA membership this year to be a "plus" member because of the extra towing distance they cover. Just in case :) Although I don't plan on using the Elise to go too far from home.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I also have a very small 12v compressor which I might keep in the car - if it is not too fast a leak it might help to make it home...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
ivan1 said:
I also have a very small 12v compressor which I might keep in the car - if it is not too fast a leak it might help to make it home...
I'm going just the opposite approach. When I had my Miata I took the spare and the jack out and put them in the closet. Every cubic inch of cargo space was precious.
I intend to put the puncture kit they give me on the 'car stuff' shelf in the closet next to the front license plate bracket. I won't put fix-a-flat into a tire that I hope to continue using. I'd rather have it towed and patched properly. It also makes a big mess of the wheel. Just say 'no' to fix-a-flat. Your tire guy will thank you.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I prefer not to use the fix-a-flat also - that is why I would hope to get by with the compressor - it has come in handy before...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
ivan1 said:
I prefer not to use the fix-a-flat also - that is why I would hope to get by with the compressor - it has come in handy before...
I don't doubt it. My 'kit' varies depending on the vehicle. I have full size spares in two of my three current vehicles. I have a full size spare for the third, but I intend to abandon it if it ever gets a flat, so I don't bother carrying the spare. In addition, I carry jumper cables in all three vehicles (more to help others than to help myself) and tow straps in the two vehicles with the ability to pull someone out of a ditch (you'd be amazed at how often I use them). I even have a pretty comprehensive first aid kit in one of the vehicles. But I carry all that stuff because it can be put in places where it doesn't get in my way and I like to be prepared.
In the Elise, my only gear when I have a problem will be the two pieces of emergency equipment that I carry on my person whenever possible and a multi-tool tucked somewhere unobtrusive. I understand others not being as comfortable flying by the seat of their pants like that, but I figure that the use of the extra cargo space in a cramped car outweighs the small potential for big inconvenience in the event of a flat (tire or battery).

Wow, I wrote a novel. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
NO way even a space saver spare will feet in the elise boot.

A can of fix a flat will work fine, just dismount the tire and clean the gunk at the earliest opportunity. Although strictly speaking I'd question plugging a high speed rated tire, I wonder what the manufacturers recommend? (definately a no-no with motorcycles.)

Chris
BTW>Noticed I'm over 1K posts now, I seriously do need to get a life:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
lack of spare tire

We have had lots of Astons at $175,000/car without spare tires. Has not been a problem yet. Their answer is fix a flat and a compressor. An emergency plug kit might be a good idea. In general, though, tire technology has come so far in the last 20 years that flats are not near the problem they used to be. Also, the tire pressure monitoring technology is upon us (by federal mandate, I think), which will help give warning and probably save tires from sidewall damage by being run low. That's part of why the Elise has ABS. That's the easiest way to put the warning systems on cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup my Porsche Cayenne Turbo has no spare, just air and fix a flat in the trunk. Not worried about it as if that doesnt work I have AAA or Roadside Assistance. The few flats I've had in the past 10 years have been a screw I picked up on the road, and the tire went flat slowly overnight in the garage -- not exactly stranding me anywhere.

I can't imagine you'll be too far from home in the Elise, especially with no trunk space to speak of!! ;-)

Scott

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
A possible solution???
And it may eliminate the need to modify the rear bumper for 2007....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My M5 has a BMW fix-a-flat system and I haven't had to use it although I got a sheet metal screw in a tire but the warning system caught it and I just drove to a tire store and had it fixed. It seems to be rare that the tire goo and compressor don't work as there are very few posts on the M5 forum about tire problems. It takes a blow out to really get stuck, and blow outs are very rare these days. Get AAA and get the "plus".

·
Registered
601 Posts
Any chance Lotus will offer any Roadside coverage? The Audi S4 I just sold had Audi roadside service provided 24 hrs by AAA at no charge for the life of the warranty. Any rumor if Lotus will offer any service? If not looks like I'll pick up the AAA plus membership upon delivery of elise.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
A deflate-able 'donut' with full range of
fitments should fit in trunk. You can inflate it 'on road' when necessary. Size
shouldn't be that important if you're just using it to limp off to a nearby repair/replacement facility, should it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
From what I have been told, do not plug a high performance tire. Patch only (One guy did both). If the hole is in the sidewall, or on the curved part of the tread, get a new tire. Patch must be on the flat part of the tire, opposite the tread. This has been my experience. Consultation with a professional is advised.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
TOPGUN750 said:
Any chance Lotus will offer any Roadside coverage? The Audi S4 I just sold had Audi roadside service provided 24 hrs by AAA at no charge for the life of the warranty. Any rumor if Lotus will offer any service? If not looks like I'll pick up the AAA plus membership upon delivery of elise.
Do you have AAA now? If not, you'll need to sign up. You get a year of probation with AAA before you're allowed the privilege of signing up for AAA+ (at least here you do). That's why I don't have AAA. Knowing my luck things would go wrong 85 miles from home during the first year and then I'd finally get the plus and it'd be smooth sailing.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Cale said:
From what I have been told, do not plug a high performance tire. Patch only (One guy did both). If the hole is in the sidewall, or on the curved part of the tread, get a new tire. Patch must be on the flat part of the tire, opposite the tread. This has been my experience. Consultation with a professional is advised.
My tire guys patched one of our race tires for us. We were upset because we picked up the nail rolling it off of the trailer (the tire had never been tracked). We were all ready to scrap it and he told us that a properly done patch in the right place is fine for racing. He doesn't even endorse the plugs for your grandmother's Cavalier...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts