The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Lotus to Laguna Seca last weekend with the BMW CCA for my first track day ever, and I had an absolutely amazing time! For anyone who hasn't done it yet, I highly recommend it. My first session was ended very early on because of a noise violation since Laguna Seca has a 90 dB limit for most track days, and I got black flagged for 94.9 dBs. I avoided further violations by upshifting and lifting between turns 5 and 6 for the rest of the day, which sucks since it's an up-hill straight (1:05 to about 1:20 in the video).

For the second session, I borrowed a friend's GoPro but didn't realize the battery was almost dead. Unfortunately, it died before I even finished this lap (which was the second lap of the second session). Honestly, this car is amazing. I never once felt out of control, the Toyo Proxe R888s are really great OEM tires, and as the day went on I drastically improved my line and learned how to take advantage of the entire track. Amazing how planted the car stays as you accelerate through the apex and into the exit. My heel-toe downshifting was a huge beneficiary of the day, too!

The car is equipped with the track pack and the LSD, and I made several major mods in anticipation of tracking the car on a regular basis: Sector111 proICduct intercooler with the additional ducting to the side scoops, coupled with larger side scoops from elise-shop.com (car ran at 189-190 F the entire day), gpan3 for oil control, Schroth PROFI II ASM Harnesses, Difflow 5-element diffuser, and the BOE Torque 300 tune (but still running stock injectors, pulley, fuel pump, etc.). The car kept up with my buddy's 625 bhp e90 m3 (>500 whp) on the main straightaway, too - he gained maybe 5-10 yards on me in the straight, and I passed him in the next passing zone.

A couple pictures:

Here I am hunting down my buddy in his M3

Hitting turn 8a in the corkscrew

Anyway, the video is at the link below. Enjoy!

Laguna Seca Lap HPDE with BMW CCA on Vimeo

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Looks like you had awesome time! I'll be going there again in few weeks time.

Did you happen to log the IAT? the 189-190F figure sounds more like oil/water temperature and sounds high for IAT.. although not surprising for a boosted car.
I'm curious because I'm looking for a better cooling solution for my car as well.

And.. the R888 isn't OEM, actually, the Yokohama A048 is. Wear rating of 100 vs 60, but while the R888 is more consistent throughout its life, the A048 felt like it was falling off after some mileage/heat cycles.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's right, 189-190 was the water temp as per the digital gauge. I didn't log the IAT. I also have a rear panel delete I'm contemplating on installing to really get some more air moving through, but so far I've been happy with how the car is running - no issues with pinging, etc. and the BOE tune is supposed to do a great job in the upper range of keeping safe AFRs!

Here are the side scoops I'm running. They are quite large but flow very well with the rest of the car.
http://elise-shop.com/wide-carbon-fibre-sidepods-replacement-covers-elise-s2-exige-s2-p-988.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts