The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend who is also really into Lotus, but he has lately been eying Lancia Stratos kit cars. We got into a discussion of the size comparisons between the Elise or Exige and the Stratos. I couldn't find any good comparison pictures, so would any of you have any shots of the two together? I realize the Stratos kit following is stronger in the UK, so maybe I'll try one of the Brit Lotus boards?

While I'm at it, I might as well make this thread worth at least a little of your time.

Looks amazing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ahh the Stratos, one of my favorite cars to race with in Gran Turismo. The drivetrain of this car is taken from the Ferrari Dino i don't know which year, i wanna say 1970. nice request

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The carrying handel on the roof is great!

Always wanted one of those, the car that is!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i believe transformer was making "kit" parts - not really "kit" cars though - closer to continuation components... and not cheap. last heard back about 10 years ago when i was thinking of it. the drive train cost is a kicker! :eek:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
nice find
Yeah - I think those are actually NapierSport Corse car(s?).
I've been wanting a Stratos for years - big Group B (and Group 4/5) fan here.
:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
i believe transformer was making "kit" parts - not really "kit" cars though - closer to continuation components... and not cheap. last heard back about 10 years ago when i was thinking of it. the drive train cost is a kicker! :eek:
Sort of. Transformer is no longer, but Hawk Cars is pretty much their successor. I believe that the owner of Hawk Cars (Gerry Hawkridge) was one of the partners in Transformer Cars. The cars are near exact replicas of the Stratos albeit with tube frame chassis instead of the steel monocoque center. But the fiberglass bits fit the originals since the molds were taken directly from an original Stratos.

Drivetrain cost isn't too bad if you choose the Fiat/Lancia DOHC 4cyl. but if you want a 246 Dino or a 308/328 drivetrain, that's another story. I have a Hawk HF3000 kit with an Alfa 164LS motor (3.0L quad cam V6). It's 3000 miles away in storage though, so no comparo pics with the Elise. It's about the same length and height, but a lot wider with the GP4 flares on the rear. I can run 9" wheels in the front and 12" in the rear. Anyway, if you guys want more pics of Stratos', check out http://www.stratossupersite.com

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been thinking about building one of these for a while:

http://www.aerosim-research.com/stratos/stratos.html

Click on "Hawk Cars Website" then on "HF3000".

Even though the Alfa V6 would be awesome, I have an extra 2000 twin cam and a pair of DCOEs left over from a Beta restoration. :)
Haha ... that's my somewhat defunct website. I was sort of the importer for them for a bit in the late '90s, but it wasn't what you'd call profitable since Hawk Cars wouldn't give me any break on the price. Price has probably gone up quite a bit with the pound/dollar exchange rate. When I bought mine in '97 it was something like $15K sans drivetrain. Bought a low mile Alfa 164LS for $4500 and pulled the drivetrain. That motor is a bit heavier than the Dino, but it's got way more power and torque and is reliable for an Italian motor.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
^^ dude! you are my hero!! ^^

having had many alfas - thats a pretty sweet engine!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh sorry for the delay, I've been out of action for a number of days. I have the dimensions for the Stratos, but putting just spitting out the sizes doesn't quite give you the right impressions over an actual picture with the two together. Thanks for the couple pictures though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts