The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a 6pt harness in my 05 Elise, and going to use the Inokinetic grommets with the stock seat and seat rail. I’m leaning towards the eye bolts through the rear cross member (as opposed to attaching to the stock belt locations on the seat with the S111 Harness Hardware kit and sys6pack). I’ve seen many recommending to put the inboard drivers side bolt next to the seat rail attachment (between the seat rails).

The LH (drivers) inboard seat rail bracket is big and when I did a pre-drilling test fit, I can tell that the eye bolt isn’t going to let the seat go all the way back (pictures attached with seat back and forwards, showing that the seat rail bracket obstructs the mount point).

The Lotus 6pt harness instructions suggest to cut out a section of the center console and put the bolt on the other side (inboard side) of the inboard driver seat. That would allow the seat to go all the way back at the disadvantage of having to cut up the original center console

My question: can anyone confirm if putting the bolt on the side between the rails does indeed impair seat movement with stock 05 seats, and by how much? I’m sort of leaning towards making the cutout to the center console, but wanted to get more opinions.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it appears that the eye bolt in that location does indeed restrict the seat movement. The Inokinetic V-force harness bar eliminated one click of seat travel for my car, and clipping the harness in eliminates a second click of travel (unless the eye bolt and clip are rotated in a weird direction). That will make getting out with the stock steering wheel much more difficult, which is a bummer. I guess the stock belt attachment point like the Inokinetic S111 Harness Hardware kit allows has some real advantages (though some people feel strongly that it isn’t sufficient).

·
He's on fire!
3,327 Posts
Another option, which I ended up doing, would be to ditch the slider mechanism for a fixed seat rail. I've got tillett seats and the fixed rails are beefy with no moving parts. Technically there are additional points of failure compared to bolting to the floor, but overall I believe the compromise to be acceptable. (Disclaimer: Not a safety engineer)

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another option, which I ended up doing, would be to ditch the slider mechanism for a fixed seat rail. I've got tillett seats and the fixed rails are beefy with no moving parts. Technically there are additional points of failure compared to bolting to the floor, but overall I believe the compromise to be acceptable. (Disclaimer: Not a safety engineer)
I drive with the seat 3-4 clicks forward, and without dumping the airbag and moving to a removable steering wheel, it seems like ingress/egress would be a lot harder. I noticed my knee hitting the wheel as I swing my leg out with just one lost click, and losing two clicks seems like it would be pretty annoying.

Do you have a removable wheel, or is ingress/egress any harder with the fixed rail?

·
He's on fire!
3,327 Posts
I have the factory wheel and adjusting the seat back and forth is not part of my ingress or egress into the car. It wasn't when I had the factory sliders either, so it had always been my habit to jump in the car as is, thus the change was transparent to my usage/expectations.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the factory wheel and adjusting the seat back and forth is not part of my ingress or egress into the car. It wasn't when I had the factory sliders either, so it had always been my habit to jump in the car as is, thus the change was transparent to my usage/expectations.
That makes sense. Perhaps my height is making it difficult without backing the seat up, or I just haven’t figured out the most efficient way to get in/out :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts