The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that race and do track days is there any affordable in car lap timers?

traqmate makes a really nice one but its rather pricey.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you have an iPhone - Harry's Lap Timer and the various accessories of your choice (external GPS) depending on how much you want to spend and how accurate you want it to be.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Harry's was recommended and it does work accurately-- when it doesn't crash. And phone mounting options are limited. And for real accuracy an add-on 10mHz GPS is needed.

AIM Solo on the other hand is one great device.

·
Tire abuser
772 Posts
Harry's was recommended and it does work accurately-- when it doesn't crash. And phone mounting options are limited. And for real accuracy an add-on 10mHz GPS is needed.

AIM Solo on the other hand is one great device.
Last weekend I was running Harry's on an Iphone 4 and a transponder for time trails. Harry's was showing my laps as much as 2 seconds faster than reality.... disappointing. The 10mh add on is probably what I need to try, or buy an Aim Solo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you don't want to spend time setting your system with a phone (any app), an external GPS receiver (5hz or 10hz for better accuracy), for at the end have the app crashed, your phone not recognizing the GPS sometimes, etc etc (i had all these issues), go straight for a proper lap timer

i got the AIM Solo, it's plug and play

AiM Sports - The World Leader in Data Acquisition

it gets a fix very quickly, has all the tracks in his memory (it offers you the closest tracks of your position) and the analysis software is pretty nice

basically, you just install it, switch it on and drive

and you can overlay the data in the video with Dashware for exeample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAP4TtXE0KU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYx-ap1XkG8

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I use the CMS Lap Timer Pro. It's similar to Harry's in that it runs off your mobile device, and includes standalone software as well so you can analyze your runs on the computer.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Traqmate is pricey but worth every penny if you are serious. The ability to discect every inch of a run or compare laps can greatly improve your skills and time. You just can't beat the systems abilities.

·
Registered
405 Posts
This has been covered very thoroughly in the track section.
Basically get a cell phone app and a 10Hz GPS.
If you are a very serious data junkie and have the engineering knowledge to use the data then get a full featured data logger like Motec. The in-between options cost way more than the cell phone app, and don't offer much more utility.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Could you post a link for that gps unit?
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
It was one of the two that Harry's site recommends as compatible with his software, the one that plugged in to the iPhone itself (old style connector, before the 5 or 5S). Got it off Amazon, readily available, but sorry don't remember its name. Be happy to sell it for $50 if you or anyone else wants one. :)

I never had any problems with the GPS itself, and when Harry's worked it seemed to be fine. Problem was every time IOS upgraded Harry's didn't. Or I upgraded Harry's and it didn't play with IOS. Some days I got really nice reads and some days it would go black on the track. That defeated the purpose as far as I was concerned.

AIM Solo is a rock solid device, and has a 4 hour use battery.

·
Registered
997 Posts
VBOX makes an excellent 10 hz transmitter called the VBOX Sport that will work with Harry's or with VBOX own iPhone lap timer App. Search VBOX for more info on both.

VBOX Sport - Racelogic USA Store

Home

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vbox-laptimer/id689238681?mt=8

I am currently using the iPhone App without the VBOX Sport and it is surprisingly accurate. I ran it and an old beacon based AIM lap timer and they were almost identical in times, just a few hundredths off.

The VBOX app also has predictive lap timing, which I don't think Harry or the others have.

I plan to buy the VBOX Sport to go with it. They also have analysis software.

Software

So far, so good.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You're not concerned about the red warning about incompatibility with some iOS updates? That's the whole problem with any device that's not standalone IMO, you're adding connectivity and firmware issues. They may work and they may not. I'd rather have one device that needs one mount and one battery.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You're not concerned about the red warning about incompatibility with some iOS updates? That's the whole problem with any device that's not standalone IMO, you're adding connectivity and firmware issues. They may work and they may not. I'd rather have one device that needs one mount and one battery.
I have been in touch with the factory in England and they seem to think that the most recent iOS update may cure the Bluetooth issues.

I went toward the VBOX system as the best compromise between accurate operation and cost. I was only looking at predictive lap time systems and many of those I looked seemed to get pretty marginal reviews. At this point, I am only using the iPhone VBOX app and have not bought the full system.

I will say that I have used AiM Sports products in the past and they are typically excellent. I might take one more look at their Sports Solo Lap Timer.

Either way is about $400.

With VBOX, the Sport is the low priced version of some of their pro level stuff.

For about $10, I found a very solid windshield mount for my iPhone. I have found that I can just pop it into place when I start a session and not worry about battery drain. As the day goes on, I just hook it up to my lighter outlet for a bit to boost the charge. A slight inconvenience but not a big hassle. The positive is that the data screen on track is exceptionally nice.

:up:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts