The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should my laptop be getting really hot on the bottom? The cooling fans come one and vary in sound every couple seconds, theyre realatively loud. My dad comented "it sounds like that thing is going to catch on fire". Maybe they're supposed to be like this. Im not sure, ive only had this one about 5 months. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Try buying a can of compressed air and spray all the intake/exhaust/fans to blow out all the dust. Also, spray the keyboard. Note, DO NOT SHAKE THE BOTTLE BEFORE SPRAYING or liquids will come out of the bottle.
Falcon Dust-Off® XL Disposable Duster at Staples®

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
As a test, use ur mouth and blow really hard where the cooling fans are and see how much dust comes out...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
blow really hard where all the air vents are. "some" dust should at least come out even if its kept in a reasonably clean environment...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
What sort of laptop is it, some are government sponsored projects to limit overpopulation since its not covered in the bible.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I usually just open my laptop and clean up the heat sink in these situations. Probably redoing the thermal contact with some arctic silver would also help the temp and runniing a temp management software. There's some that allows you to lower the voltage on your CPU so it won't run as hot under load, providing you don't lower it too much, it shouldn't crash or give you BSOD.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I am no computer expert, but arent there settings on most laptops that allow your hard drive to sleep after a set time interval? would that affect the temperature significantly?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, after giving it a good BJ the thing is cool and quiet. Was it bad for it to be running like that? Ive noticed its been hot for a few weeks now.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
It is not good to let it run like that but it should be fine. Clean it out time to time. blast air into the exhaust vents . I'll also just open them up like nomis said, clean them out and reapply new thermal compound.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
wow, after giving it a good BJ the thing is cool and quiet. Was it bad for it to be running like that? Ive noticed its been hot for a few weeks now.
Hopefully you didn't swallow what came out after you gave it a BJ rotfl Now, go buy a can of compressed air and clean it properly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a large screen HP.

THe bottom gets hot.

So while on my desk I have it raised with 2 stips of wood to allow ventilation

And as others stated, keep the dust out. I remove all the access panels when I clean mine

Jeff

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
the lap top we use here at home for the internet is a few years old, a gateway m675prr. anyway, about a year and a half ago it would start to over heat, and it started to sound funny. after a little more time, it would start shutting off. i called gateway, they said, just send it to us, pay crazy diagnosing fees, and well then fix it for even more money, and send it back.. or buy a new one. well, as its only used for the internet, i could not justify that expense. so we stopped using it. stef believes she knows more about computers then she really does.rotfl so she went ahead and did some research on the net. for the last 9 months shes telling me that she can fit it, and it will only cost 20 dollars. well me being me, would not accept that stef( who thinks she know a lot, but really doesn't) would A, know what was wrong, B, be able to fix it!, C, for 20$!

so a few months went by, and i ignored her. finally, she just went and ordered the part. i was away for a few days. anyway i come home, and poof its working. she did in fact fix it! for 20$ including shipping(ebay).

she won-eek-:sad:

its works as if brand new. damn it.

so, what it sounds like to me, you need a 20$ heat sink change.

ps, really easy to swap. 4 screws to take off the backing plate. and 3 holding the heat sink in. pop it out pop the new one in, and do the screws, and poof working computer.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Never seen a heat sink go 'bad' unless the fan stops spinning. Clean it up, sure...but go bad? It's just a block of metal. :huh:

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's not the heatsink that's usually the problem. It's the thermal interface material (TIM) or thermal grease that sits between the heatsink and gpu/cpu that's usually the problem.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
To keep my laptop cool, i use one of these laptop pads:
Xpad4Laptop

I don't like the ones currently on the market with built in fans that plug into USB ports, so this one works well for my needs

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I have a MacBook Pro. It has no vents. It gets warm in normal use but starts getting hot when I'm running intensive graphics/animation. The GPU seems to be the primary cluprit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts