The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this factual and not aim to blame anyone/thing...

I should mention that I bought this exhaust used from a well-regarded forum member. It was in great shape and not even at all discolored or scratched. Practically brand new. This was about two years ago now, I suppose. Not a lot of miles accumulated since install, definitely less than 2000.

Had the car out yesterday and noticed a new sound at idle. Found that the exhaust tip was rattling against the diffuser... hmmm....

See for yourself; the passenger side hanger has completely separated itself from the muffler shell.

From the pictures below you can see the removal process and the resulting failure surfaces. Considering the rather unsupported loading of this hanger into the muffler, this pretty clearly represents a bending fatigue failure rather than a 1-time overload. If I had a stereomicroscope I could share the beech marks that are visible. The other hanger and welds look great, no cracks or leaks to be found.

I did check the entire product to gauge how magnetic it was. Before I took it off, I had a nagging suspicion that the welds or the hangers themselves might be an inferior grade of stainless or perhaps even mild steel. This is unfortunately very common in the modern world of mass-produced aftermarket "performance" exhausts. Well, the two longer hangers are ever so slightly magnetic, which is entirely possible for 300-series SS that has been cold worked and not stress relieved. Less likely for 316, so my guess is that some 304 may have made its way into the hangers, but no way to say for sure. No weld is more magnetic than the hangers, so overall I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and the quality of materials appears to be top notch. Definitely all 300-series stainless throughout the entire exterior of the product.

I know Larini products come with a lifetime warranty, but that is for the original owner. I will get some 316 TIG rod and see what I can do.

Easy to claim now, but I always felt that the muffler was a little too constraned and that properly torquing the hanger mounts was preloading that right-side cantilivered mount. I suspect the other side will never have an issue due to the much better triangulation that loads into the muffler inlet tube.

Anyone else ever see this?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just reached out to Sector111 and Larini to see if this is something they have seen before.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I missed a call today from Shinoo @ Sector111, though luckily he sent an email as well. He offered a very modest fee for repair of the exhaust, and made a good point in that an engine with stock mounts is known to move around quite a bit in spirited driving. I'm thoroughly impressed with the level of support offered to a secondary owner- that's essentially unheard-of in the aftermarket (at least in my experience).

Had I not already picked up some 316SS TIG rod and needed some practice (or if I was less than equipped or inclined to do the repair myself), I would have done very well taking him up on the offer.

In the end, the repair took all of 30 minutes and appears good as new. Back on the road, one heat cycle, and no visible cracks. I'll keep an eye on it and update this thread accordingly.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,041 Posts
get innovative mounts for the front and rear only.
60A will due for street. This another "why didn't the car come
like this from Lotus" mod.
I have all 4 and want to go stiffer now.
-Robert

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
more of an FYI: but hangers breaking off isn’t really an uncommon phenomenon... especially on a car that’s setup for very minimal exhaust movement to begin with (like the Elige setup is)

every weld has a stress point & the hangers tend to go first since they are the thinnest/flexiest piece on the exhaust

doesn’t mean the product is bad, but means that there was probably some excess flex with your exhaust that cause more movement than the rubber bushings in the clamps could give & eventually snapped the hanger off at the weld

there are also header setups that are built with a flex pipe to help combat possible broken hangers or cracked welds (i think Tubular is one that does this)

you can easily reweld it, but i would also recommend stiffer mount inserts for the front & rear mount (it'll at minimum cut down on the engine movement which will directly cut down on the exhaust system flex/movement)

also, on the engine mount discussion… they will help firm up shifting feel as well. However it will cause a bit more vibration noise at idle, but nothing that isn’t tolerable IMO

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vibration/noise isn't a concern; upgraded mounts are clearly in the future...thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts