The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

We took a few hour day trip this weekend with the Elise (with Larini SE exhaust) and by the end of the journey, the wife was going crazy due to the exhaust noise. It was bad enough that I was considering going back to the stock exhaust, but I'd like to try a few other things first, in addition to driving as slow as possible when the wife is in the car. :panic:

I've seen other aftermarket exhausts on import cars that looked to have removable pieces inside the exhaust tips, which I can only assume help to silence the exhaust during street use. What are these called? Do you think they could be added to the Larini SE?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
485 Posts
Buy your wife some earplugs rotfl

She can use them when you are driving and you can use them when at home with her :nanner:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally Posted by NJdrool
Buy your wife some earplugs

She can use them when you are driving and you can use them when at home with her.....

ROFLMAO!!!.... That reply should be voted to the Lotus Talk Hall of Fame for, best responses to a post. Bravo!!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally Posted by NJdrool
Buy your wife some earplugs

She can use them when you are driving and you can use them when at home with her.....

ROFLMAO!!!.... That reply should be voted to the Lotus Talk Hall of Fame for, best responses to a post. Bravo!!!!
:clap::clap: X100

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking the same thing, but I refrained from saying that! :clap:

LOL rotfl

We actually have tons of ear plugs at home that she uses often, but I would rather hear the knife coming towards my head when she throws it. :p

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Buy an even louder exhaust and make her deaf. Then she won't care. ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
predicable, but someone is going to say it sooner or later.........

get a new wife?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Your **** out of luck... The larini is mellow compared to most other exhausts. Just leave her at home.

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Dump her for Marlee Matlin...or Helen Keller.

OK...really, just short shift. Keep the revs low when you have a sensitive passenger.

I added a stainless steel straight pipe to my Fiat Spider. We kept tuning it until my wife said, "Wow! That's too loud." My buddy said "What'd she say?"
I yelled "She said, 'That's perfect!'"

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess what I'm talking about is something like this:
eBay Motors: 3.5" TIP MUFFLER EXHAUST REMOVABLE UNIVERSAL SILENCER (item 200250360736 end time Sep-03-08 10:01:26 PDT)

Would something like that work or due to the detached design of the Larini SE tips, would this not be effective? I don't really know the acoustics of exhaust mufflers and their tips.

I think other keywords might be "inner silencer".

All these other options are great, but I must start with the cheapest, least destructive ones first. ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I guess what I'm talking about is something like this:
eBay Motors: 3.5" TIP MUFFLER EXHAUST REMOVABLE UNIVERSAL SILENCER (item 200250360736 end time Sep-03-08 10:01:26 PDT)

Would something like that work or due to the detached design of the Larini SE tips, would this not be effective? I don't really know the acoustics of exhaust mufflers and their tips.

I think other keywords might be "inner silencer".

All these other options are great, but I must start with the cheapest, least destructive ones first. ;)
It looks too small to really do anything. Better bet is go back to your stock muffler and sell the Larini, or if you absolutely want to modify things try the 2bular 8x24 that's been previously mentioned.

John

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I have the Larini SE and I agree...it's pretty quiet compared to others...

Have her ride in a diff. car....my gf won't get into my Lotus (guess it's a good thing)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I notice that with the Larini, it's the below 3k revs that kill me because it's a real deep rumble, then it quiets just a bit around 3k where I can feather the throttle to get it a bit quieter, then it get louder again around 4k or so. If I can just quiet things down below 3k, things should be good.

We do have a Celica that we use when the wife is in the more...sensitive...states ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
if you had de-snorkeled...re-snorkel.

I have the new Larini S Club Sport installed, at first de-snorkeled...put the snorkel back on, and it did quiet it down enough, but didn't make it wimpy.

go try it; costs nothing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I went through a similar episode with my wife and the stage II exhaust I have. She kept her fingers in her ears during parts of a highway trip to the mountains last fall. I thought about installing the stock exhaust I have in my basement, but after hearing what those sound like? No way! Get her some earplugs - that's what I'm doing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts