The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, if you have compared a 2012 stock NA exhaust with a Larini exhaust + test pipe (which replaces the 3rd cat), could you please share your opinions on the sound difference?

Specifically, I'd like to know how the Larini setup compares with the 2012 stock NA exhaust in highway cruising at around 2000-2500rpm. On a scale of 0 to 10, if stock exhaust sound level is 0, and Plack exhaust is 10, how much would you rate the Larini setup?
(0 = no drone, can't hear the exhaust at all; 10 = loud drone, normal conversation would be intruded, need to turn up music volume to be able to hear it)

Is the Lotus Sports Exhaust similar to Larini?

Thanks!

p.s. I checked the forum but there's only comparison between Larini and pre-2012 stock exhaust. Dealer told me that the 2012 stock exhaust is "better" than older models, but I still have no reference point in comparing that with the Larini.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ya I would this question to be answered. I'm look to upgrade to either Larini or another make that you guys may recommend instead. The YouTube videos are not adequate enough for one to make a decision

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
I never heard a Plack in person so don't know what 10 is, have driven pre 12 NA and S and post 12 S W and with Larini. Still doesn't give me a 0 for your scale. That all said, the Larini is something you can not go wrong with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMHO i think the Lotus sports exhaust(comes in the package) + decat(2bular) sounds better than larini. a friend of mine has a larini setup. sounds flat.

i used to have radium CAI + lotus sports exhaust + decat(2bular) and it sounded great. however the radium sometimes gives me the creep as my engine dies off for no apparent reason.

I have ordered BOE CAI and I hope it will sound good as well.

below is a video clip recorded from the in-cam+sound, window up. It's wicked when the windows are down.

apologies for the low quality image.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I've been in texevora's 2012 S w/ Larini & decat. It is a nice aggressive sound at WOT but not overly intrusive. I have a 2013 NA w/ Plack exhaust. If the stock is 0 & plack is 10, then I'd say the Larini is no more than a 4 or 5 at absolute most. I've also been in x-ray's NA Evora w/ Lotus Sports Exhaust w/ the titanium blue tips. It sounded really good when you wanted it to, but mellow when you didn't. Both the Larini & Lotus Sports Exhaust are great choices if you don't want to sound like a Ferrari 458 Challenge car (i.e. Plack).

Personally, I love the Plack exhaust except when I take long road trips (~300 miles). If I could silence the Plack just slightly I would & it would be perfect. I put in some Dynamat under the rear seat/luggage cushion & it got rid of about half of the resonance. Took another 300 mile road trip after that & it was more bearable. I like it loud while driving around town because people tend to stay out of my way more & the douchebags in Mustangs, Camaros, & Challengers think twice about prodding me. Maseratis & Corvettes too for that matter...even the brand new Corvettes are hesitant, probably because they just don't know anything about our cars. In a drag race they'd win, but they don't typically know that & it suits me just fine. ;)

2012 stock NA exhaust compared to Larini...Larini is slightly louder at idle, moderately louder at speed. The Larini coupled with the BOE CAI on texevora's S sounds fantastic.

EDIT: By decat I meant 3rd cat delete, not full decat. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Akh I'm more confused than ever now, but very informative missileman. What exhaust would you guys say is between the Larini and the Plack? I feel Plack exhaust would be too loud, and I don't want to put a considerable sum on Larini only to wish it was slightly louder.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Akh I'm more confused than ever now, but very informative missileman. What exhaust would you guys say is between the Larini and the Plack? I feel Plack exhaust would be too loud, and I don't want to put a considerable sum on Larini only to wish it was slightly louder.
Lotus Sports Exhaust w/ blue tips, not to be confused with the stock Lotus Exhaust.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a 13 NA and have been much more pleased than I expected to be with the exhaust when the valves are open. I think a ROW decat added to the new stock valved setup would be a sweet spot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you so much guys for your replies! Now my arbitrary sound level scale seems to be:

2012 stock (1) --- stock + decat (4?) --- Larini setup (4.5) --- Lotus Sports Exhaust (6?) --- Plack (10).

@missileman: Yes, I totally agree with you. I love the Plack exhaust when I drive around the city, but it becomes slightly annoying when I have to make long road trips. This is my only car so I have no other choice.

If anybody could please come up with a solution that silences the Plack to about 8 on my scale, or remove the drone between 2000-2500rpm (or altogether), you have my money :)

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Not sure that much span between Larini and Lotus Sport (blue tip PN LOTAC05504) assuming both with decat in place.
I have owned both, but as I say my reference is off as I have headers. Larini is lighter (about 6lbs) than Sport and nicer quality finish. Texevora and I drove each others cars at time he had Larini and decathlon, I had headers with metallic aft cat and stock MY12 exhaust plus CAI, think I had more serious idle note and louder full throttle, he had more serious middle range nicer driving sounds, after I too fitted Larini, first drive I thought I had gone too far in sound levels with all my other mods, but next time I started car and ever since think it is great.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure that much span between Larini and Lotus Sport (blue tip PN LOTAC05504) assuming both with decat in place.
I have owned both, but as I say my reference is off as I have headers. Larini is lighter (about 6lbs) than Sport and nicer quality finish. Texevora and I drove each others cars at time he had Larini and decathlon, I had headers with metallic aft cat and stock MY12 exhaust plus CAI, think I had more serious idle note and louder full throttle, he had more serious middle range nicer driving sounds, after I too fitted Larini, first drive I thought I had gone too far in sound levels with all my other mods, but next time I started car and ever since think it is great.
Thanks Julian! If the Lotus Sports Exhaust and Larini are very similar, I guess I would go with the Larini since it is lighter and has a nicer finish. And yep, I got my BOE CAI already waiting to be installed.

Curious: when you said "first drive I thought I had gone too far in sound levels", why did you have that feeling? Was it like 8 on my arbitrary scale? Also does the sound really become quieter the next time you started the car, or are you just used to the sound level?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with Missleman about his assessment on the other exhausts compared to Plack, although I don't find long trips annoying...maybe it is just me or that mine is an S (don't see why that would make a difference). In any event....there is enough room between the split for the tips and the flange that you could splice in a silencer or resonator to cut some of the sound down if you really wanted to I guess. I thought about doing this before I actually got it in case I found it overbearing after install. I wouldn't change a thing now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thank you so much guys for your replies! Now my arbitrary sound level scale seems to be:

2012 stock (1) --- stock + decat (4?) --- Larini setup (4.5) --- Lotus Sports Exhaust (6?) --- Plack (10).

@missileman: Yes, I totally agree with you. I love the Plack exhaust when I drive around the city, but it becomes slightly annoying when I have to make long road trips. This is my only car so I have no other choice.

If anybody could please come up with a solution that silences the Plack to about 8 on my scale, or remove the drone between 2000-2500rpm (or altogether), you have my money :)

I think im going to buy/get for free an OEM take off from an "S", cut out the valve switch and use it in a custom setup. Remove resonator and run pipe down to a "Y". one pipe will run into a smaller light race can muffler in regular mode, one running a strait pipe using factor sport valve switch. In reg mode should deliver your 4-5 and in sport mode running through the strait pipe deliver your more radical 9-10 while still being very light weight. I dont see how this could be very expensive. I first need to see how the valve switch works to really see whats going on in there. I dont want it to sound too mazda miata-ish so its a gamble buying the muffler can id expect?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think im going to buy/get for free an OEM take off from an "S", cut out the valve switch and use it in a custom setup. Remove resonator and run pipe down to a "Y". one pipe will run into a smaller light race can muffler in regular mode, one running a strait pipe using factor sport valve switch. In reg mode should deliver your 4-5 and in sport mode running through the strait pipe deliver your more radical 9-10 while still being very light weight. I dont see how this could be very expensive. I first need to see how the valve switch works to really see whats going on in there. I dont want it to sound too mazda miata-ish so its a gamble buying the muffler can id expect?
Sounds like a reasonable plan! Let's hope it's really that easy :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Julian question. Do you think the Larini manifolds would produce for you a similar hp/sound gain as the komo tec ones some members in this forum have

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If you aren't already plumbed for the required vacuum line for the switchign exhaust I don't think it is really worth it to try to run the lines...

I have an electronically switched exhaust-see my install thread- that is essentially a straight pipe, no cats at all, 2bular headers...

Even valve open, at highway it is loud but totally tolerable. Maybe a 4. but since I am essentially running straight through, at heavy throttle it is a 9-10. And this is with the BOE intake...so opinions will vary, but under 3 grand the car is pretty docile.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Julian question. Do you think the Larini manifolds would produce for you a similar hp/sound gain as the komo tec ones some members in this forum have
Yes, the main sound signature of the headers (all styles) is 1st elimination of the Main (pre)-cats. The second signature thing I noticed it the evened out exhaust pulses, due to near equal tube lengths.

Komo-tec, 2bular, and Supersprint offer stubby headers; where-as Larini, Supersprint and Lotus Motorsport long headers all eliminate the front cats, all offer near equal tube length; some may offer more eqaul and other tuned features that also modify the sound somewhat but probably not nearly as much as the first two steps.

Now Hp is an elusive question! I have seen three Evora header dyno curves posted on this forum Bobsy Racers N/A w/ 2bular (stubby), Ramtin1000's S w/ Supersprint (long) and my S w/ Komo-Tec (stubby). Not a great sampling and each with some other differences and all on different dynos. I don't think the info could conclusively tell you anything about differences between the 3 makes, as their were far more variables than the 3 headers. Now a bird has told me that Phil just my do a header shoot-out on his N/A including the super Lotus GT4 long tube tuned unit; if I was in the header market today, I would await those results.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you aren't already plumbed for the required vacuum line for the switchign exhaust I don't think it is really worth it to try to run the lines...

I have an electronically switched exhaust-see my install thread- that is essentially a straight pipe, no cats at all, 2bular headers...

Even valve open, at highway it is loud but totally tolerable. Maybe a 4. but since I am essentially running straight through, at heavy throttle it is a 9-10. And this is with the BOE intake...so opinions will vary, but under 3 grand the car is pretty docile.
I have a 2013 ISP S model, it has the sport mode button option installed. It seems like an easy thing to do especially if i follow the existing route, add a Y, muffler can, strait pipe.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts