The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I installed the Larini exhaust today with the SE (Euro) tips. Not much to say about the install. The old exhaust was tough to get off as others have found. The rear panel eliminator was also installed. One odd thing was after putting the tips on and pointing them through the grill, we couldn't seem to get an idea of whether they were straight or not. We measured each and every way and they seemed to be installed identically but our eyes were playing tricks on us. I think it has to do with there being more piping on the driver side. This makes the passenger style tip look farther away from the center by comparison. It's hard to explain but basically, play around with the tips until they look good to you.

The sound is great. It's quieter at idle, almost inaudible. I was sitting there at a stoplight and couldn't believe how quiet it was, as quiet as my BMW was :huh:. The small rumbling/droning of the stock exhaust at idle was gone. It has a bit more droning at 3500k but not unbearable at all. But past 6k, it has an awesome throaty, scream. The best parts about the stock exhaust are accentuated. Of course, the sound should change after about 1000 miles, but that should be for the better. Suffice it to say that it's awesome right now.

I know that exhausts don't add much, if any, power but my car seemed a bit peppier. When I took it up to the cams the first time, the front seemed to lift up a little more than usual, enough to surprise me. I'll wait for the official dyno results but right now, I'm quite sure it's not losing any power. Ok so here are the pics:

If anyone wants any different angles, let me know. Sorry if they aren't up to the super quality picture standards that some people post. :sheep:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
congrats on the Larini! Glad to hear you're happy with it. Looks great! BTW, it does look like the distance between the right tip to the eliminator post is larger than the distance between the left post and left tip.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
raggedy1 said:
BTW, it does look like the distance between the right tip to the eliminator post is larger than the distance between the left post and left tip.
Agree, but it looks like the distance from the tips to the bottom clam are even on both sides. I think the exhaust is straight, but the eliminator is slightly off. Anyways, it is so minor that I would not care (if it were my car). The exhaust looks great and I really like the eliminator look.

·
Registered
139 Posts
pictures don't show ramsen!!! you going to be at FVMC tonight?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
choi0706 said:
how big are those tips? those are HUGE~!
Most guys like huge tips......... It doesn't matter to me, but THEY are nice !

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Nice pics, thanks for posting. It looks much better than the Arquay, I would say it looks more "finished".

I got the F1 tips yesterday, but no exhaust. I will probably get it today and will install next and add pics here. My tips are the ones that point down like Stage 2. Should be good for noise wihle autoxing.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
To me there's less crap showing. Less is more IMHO. Of course I don't care for the eliminator package to begin with, and prefer the black cheapy screen.

Maybe it's because the exhaust is almost completely hidden by the plate. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I was surprised that it has a bit more drone than stock cruising at 3500rpm. I had heard that it had a little less drone in the midrange than stock. It looks great. Good welds look good up close but good overall design looks good from any distance.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
It's got to be less drone that the old QS. I loved that exhaust, but the thought of driving to Denver and back in July (48 hours of driving) with that big drone was unnerving. I look forward to getting the Larini installed.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Surferjer said:
To me there's less crap showing. Less is more IMHO. Of course I don't care for the eliminator package to begin with, and prefer the black cheapy screen.

Maybe it's because the exhaust is almost completely hidden by the plate. :shrug:
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the panel eliminator. I took a few pics of my Arqray way back when:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12168&highlight=brown+truck

Of course, the cost of the Larini is a fraction of what I paid for the Arqray. :huh:

·
shay2nak
25,069 Posts
that looks awesome! How much does it weigh?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Well, Ekological, I like yours even better! That back panel looks great. I wasa speaking only to thr panel eliminated Arquay look.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ekological said:
Is it some weird reflection, but in picture #2, the right side of the can looks weird. Any pictures of how the tubes route to get a tip to each side? I guess I'll be keeping my Arqray.
I'll take some pics today to try to show the routing better.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thillIX said:
pictures don't show ramsen!!! you going to be at FVMC tonight?
Thanks! I totally forgot! I don't know if I can make it because I made other plans :(

1 - 20 of 51 Posts