The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I did a search looking for threads about the removal of the heatshield, and they seem a bit dated, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any problems with the removal of the heatshield with the Larini SE exhaust?

I just installed the Larini SE exhaust with the Euro grills, and I took my heatshield off to speed through the installation since I still need to trim cutouts for the exhaust tips. I kept it though and after reading through the threads about this issue, I'm sort of split. I should probably put it back in ~just in case~, but if no one has had any issues yet, maybe i can at least take my time about putting it back in (like during the next oil change).

I went for a 20 minute drive, nothing too hard or anything, and I did notice the fiberglass around the exhaust is pretty toasty, so I don't know what that'll do to the paint and/or fiberglass over the long haul. And of course, there is the issue of the "heat soak" of the chassis and rear suspension.

I don't want to beat on this issue, I'm just curious if anyone has any updated information to add. :)

Thanks,
Chris

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
We ran our Exige with the Larini SE and a naked rear with no issues. Track use is where you will generate the most heat. We pulled the heat shield off 2 years ago and the car has seen many track days with no burnt clams...of course it has test muled several different exhausts but most had tips above the diffuser.

On track, we have had customer melt the reflectors in the Eurogrill option we offer with SE. So you'll want to take them off....

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I can comment on this....I have the Larini SE, and I track the car.
First had the Euro grill....my left reflector partially bent from the heat as Shinoo said.

I switched to naked rear with 5 element diffuser for better heat dissipation....turns out there was so much heat from the Larini exhaust it was melting the plastic cover to my license plate attached to my von Hep rear panel eliminator.
The can on the Larini SE is small, but dissipates an extreme amount of heat.
I'm thinking of changing exhausts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts