The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting a Larini dual over diffuser exhaustE

The Sector 111 site says it is "not acceptable for supercharged cars". I can see a REV300 system in my future and I don't want to accidentally waste money on an exhaust I can't use. Does anyone know why Sector 111 makes that claim?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
BOE Silent Touch. Just my opinion. Set yourself up for success. The problem with the "l" might be excessive back pressure. Not sure.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm guessing the backpressure is a bit higher than s/c mufflers and possibly will degrade the ultimate performance with a supercharged engine. Having said that, Shinoo installed my Katana2 on my car which already had a Larini Sport (slash tips) muffler installed with no metion of a potential problem. The Sector 111 description for the Sport muffler also says not recommended for supercharged cars. Go figure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got the SE on an original katana setup...it's been on there since 10K miles (at 40K now) and no problems to speak of :dunno:

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,291 Posts
Just installed this muffler. Wish I had 10 years ago. Next is the SC.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It will work fine on the street. Mine did for years. The first time you take it to the track though, it will develop a rattle. I cut mine open, and dumped out the gravel. It's been okay since, but slightly louder (could be my imagination).

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,291 Posts
It will work fine on the street. Mine did for years. The first time you take it to the track though, it will develop a rattle. I cut mine open, and dumped out the gravel. It's been okay since, but slightly louder (could be my imagination).
So what happened to the muffler at the track? Is your car supercharged!

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I had a Larini exhaust on my Exige S for a few months. Ditched it (at a loss) for the BOE Silent Touch.

San

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just ordered that exact exhaust and asked them the same question, in case I decide to SC in the future. I think they're basically saying it's not compatible with a stock SC Lotus, but with a tune it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,986 Posts
Think of it this way: S111 is in business to sell stuff.

If they don't want ppl to use that exhaust, believe them.

As far as "no problems", well how would one tell they're not getting full power?

If it is, as likely, a back pressure issue, a tune (vs Lotus supercharged) would be working around the issue, wouldn't it?

My advice, worth exactly what you paid for it, is skip that exhaust.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Back pressure and heat will destroy the internals and you can't repack it. I had this same system before the SC and then when I installed the SC, I bought the above diffuser "euro" style 2bular to replace the Larini.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was in the same boat, like the SE exhaust but REV300 in the soon future.
So I emailed Sector111 and Chris was very quick to answer the following reasons :

"Hi Jean,
Any of the exhausts marked 'not for supercharged cars' is due to there being a place in the system where the exhaust size 'necks down' and gets to be a smaller diameter. They will simply have too much back pressure for the supercharger."

Hi Jean,

If you absolutely must have that style of exhaust with the supercharger... it will work, but you will be down on power. The supercharger really wants to breathe in order to make the advertised HP / TQ numbers.

You won't break anything or damage the engine by running it, but you won't be getting all the performance you're paying for with the supercharger.

Also, under heavy condition like a track day, the exhaust packing might get burnt and the exhaust will develop a rattle.

In the end I ordered a Larini Clubsport with Dual slashed tips, which is not listed on their site but can be special ordered.
It's pretty much a straight thru design, that will be perfect for a SC later on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Does anyone have any documentation indicating how much of a horsepower loss occurs when not using an s/c muffler? My Larini was advertised as a ~5hp increase over the stock muffler when normally aspirated. Apparently it is a high flow muffler, although not a straight through design as all the s/c mufflers appear to be. If the loss is only a couple hp at the top on a street driven car, I don't see the harm. I'd be curious to see the difference. As I said; when my Katana2 was installed, there was no mention of changing my slash tips.

·
Premium Member
11,986 Posts
Does anyone have any documentation indicating how much of a horsepower loss occurs when not using an s/c muffler? My Larini was advertised as a ~5hp increase over the stock muffler when normally aspirated. Apparently it is a high flow muffler, although not a straight through design as all the s/c mufflers appear to be. If the loss is only a couple hp at the top on a street driven car, I don't see the harm. I'd be curious to see the difference. As I said; when my Katana2 was installed, there was no mention of changing my slash tips.
At least 45.8 hp.

I doubt a Larini produces 5 extra hp on a na car. When I questioned a vendor, it turned out that was because of a de-cat or high-flow cat.

Some vendor exhausts are said to lose a few hp.

·
Registered
287 Posts
45.8 horsepower? Hmm. So, in other words, the 60 hp gain that the Katana2 provides is reduced to 15 horsepower because my high flow muffler is not s/c specific? Wow. So Sector 111 hosed me by not mentioning this when the blower was installed? Not to mention that they misled me with the ~5hp, na Larini claim.
I find 45 horsepower a bit hard to believe.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
45.8 horsepower? Hmm. So, in other words, the 60 hp gain that the Katana2 provides is reduced to 15 horsepower because my high flow muffler is not s/c specific? Wow. So Sector 111 hosed me by not mentioning this when the blower was installed? Not to mention that they misled me with the ~5hp, na Larini claim.
I find 45 horsepower a bit hard to believe.
That was a joke.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts