The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to share any thoughts or experience with either the Larini Sports Exhaust or the Arqray Single Tip and share why they choose one over the other. I need some assistance in making my decision. I think I am leaning towards the Arqray Single Tip as I tend to like a higher pitched and tight exhaust sound, but I am a little turned away by having to mod the rear grill and cut into the heatshield as I'm not sure I like the look of the eliminator kit. As for the Larini, I like the fact that it doesn't require a rear grill mod and the pops and gurgles kinda cool but will they get old after awhile. Any insight or push in one direction or another would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Politically Incorrect

Anyone care to share any thoughts or experience with either the Larini Sports Exhaust or the Arqray Single Tip and share why they choose one over the other. I need some assistance in making my decision. I think I am leaning towards the Arqray Single Tip as I tend to like a higher pitched and tight exhaust sound, but I am a little turned away by having to mod the rear grill and cut into the heatshield as I'm not sure I like the look of the eliminator kit. As for the Larini, I like the fact that it doesn't require a rear grill mod and the pops and gurgles kinda cool but will they get old after awhile. Any insight or push in one direction or another would be appreciated, thanks.
I had the Larini SE Exhaust, Weapon-R Race Header (d-cat), and Weapon-R intake installed about 3 months ago. The combo is fantastic!

A friend of mine has the Arqray Single tip and it is not as loud or vulgar as my Larini SE system.

Do you want docile or rowdy?

I prefer the rowdy Larini SE combo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Hmmm......:evil:
My vote will always be the arqray.....not that the larini system is bad....
both systems with a de-cat pipe work well and are of superior quality.
Why the arqray...?
because it's my bengals name.
a cat that's this insane can only be named 'arqray'.....:D
looks sweet.....think again.....:eek:

on track WOT.......the arqray is miles ahead...:crazyeyes

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The larini sports sounds terrific and IMO better than the arqray on the track. The under diffuser style needs a tack weld to keep tips aligned though (mine did at least). I love the sound like a boy loves race cars, but I just sold mine because I'm sort of sick of the loud exhaust sound on the drive to the track and even on the track. I drove Shinoo's S a couple days ago and it was super quiet in comparison and I was just able to focus more on driving. I sometimes wear ear plugs on the track just to maintain my energy level for the whole day and have a shot at hearing when I hit 70.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
The larini sports sounds terrific and IMO better than the arqray on the track. The under diffuser style needs a tack weld to keep tips aligned though (mine did at least). I love the sound like a boy loves race cars, but I just sold mine because I'm sort of sick of the loud exhaust sound on the drive to the track and even on the track. I drove Shinoo's S a couple days ago and it was super quiet in comparison and I was just able to focus more on driving. I sometimes wear ear plugs on the track just to maintain my energy level for the whole day and have a shot at hearing when I hit 70.
Glenn, the new Larinis are all welded with no interchangeable tips. The exhaust on my Katana Exige (not an 'S') was the Larini 8" along with their new header and straight pipe. It is now my favorite exhaust set-up. It is nice a quiet when you cruise on the freeway yet growls deeply when you get into the revs...

The Arqray is a special sound that is not for everyone. It has a higher pitch and is especially quiet when you cruise but shrieks when you get into the revs. Neil and Cade both ran Arqray Singles with a straight pipe and it is too loud for my taste. I had the Arqray Single Tip on the Exige for a long time while it was still normally aspirated. I liked the sound but now prefer the Larini set-up I mention above.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
...I think I am leaning towards the Arqray Single Tip as I tend to like a higher pitched and tight exhaust sound, but I am a little turned away by having to mod the rear grill and cut into the heatshield as I'm not sure I like the look of the eliminator kit.....
Have you seen our new Eliminator V3 Kit? It is pretty simple.

One key benefit of the naked rear is that it helps exhaust much of the heat that tends to build up in the rear. All that shielding does a great job in retaining a fair amount of heat that I believe is causing much of the exhaust failures being experienced by track driven cars. I say get naked...:D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i know nothing will make the car sound like a ferrari, but just for an understanding of my taste in exhaust notes, is one more less in the genre of the tubi exhuast lets say on a 360. The higher pitched, tight exhuast note.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
ok i know nothing will make the car sound like a ferrari, but just for an understanding of my taste in exhaust notes, is one more less in the genre of the tubi exhuast lets say on a 360. The higher pitched, tight exhuast note.
I think the Arqray is going to be your best bet as it has a higher pitched shriek. Neil and I used to blast through a tunnel with two Lotus with Arqray Single Tips and joke that we sound like one Ferrari...:D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The exhaust on my Katana Exige was the Larini 8" along with their new header and straight pipe. It is now my favorite exhaust set-up. It is nice a quiet when you cruise on the freeway yet growls deeply when you get into the revs...
Hi shinoo, what pieces do you need for that sort of a setup, what's it look like, and what's it run?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard rumors that your not supposed to use the stock clamps for the aftermarket exhuasts, haven't heard any specific reasons why though. Does the arqray single tip or larini come with all the installation equipment such as clamps etc.

M

·
0 Posts
arquay titanium single exhaust is my choice. it sounds incredible!! the only downside is the decibel reading on track for me was 106 db. make sure you know your local track noise regulations.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Hi shinoo, what pieces do you need for that sort of a setup, what's it look like, and what's it run?
The muffler and straight pipe are currently available on our website. The 4into1 header will be instock soon - we'll announce the details soon.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I've heard rumors that your not supposed to use the stock clamps for the aftermarket exhuasts, haven't heard any specific reasons why though. Does the arqray single tip or larini come with all the installation equipment such as clamps etc.
Both systems come with a clamp to secure it to the factory cat. They hang from the stock hangers as well.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
is the Larini 8" exhaust different then the Larini sport? which one is quieter? according to the s111 website, the sport is a bit quieter then stock at idle but much louder at wot... is that your experience too?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
is the Larini 8" exhaust different then the Larini sport? which one is quieter? according to the s111 website, the sport is a bit quieter then stock at idle but much louder at wot... is that your experience too?
Yes, the 8" is quieter than the Sport. The 8" also boasts a straight through design.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
ah I see the 8" requires rear panel removal... thats why I never noticed it. I like the stock look:shrug:

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
ah I see the 8" requires rear panel removal... thats why I never noticed it. I like the stock look:shrug:
I totally understand. When we first introduced the naked rear, many folk here were taken aback. But we persisted, as did our partners in Japan (the real propagators of this look) as well as Lotus with the 340R, Sport Exige, 211, GT3, etc.

Now many of the track junkies are embracing it and enjoying the benefits...but it is definately an aggressive - somewhat unfinished/unpolished style. I say form shall follow function....:evil:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
even in traffic would you still say that the temperature is reduced with the rear panel delete. also, is the rear panel and heatshield easily removed and replaced if needed.

lastly, in your professional opinion what direction would you stear me in. my desire with an aftermarket exhaust is to of course course improve the exhaust note note match the exotic nature of the car.

I like the high pitched nature of the arqray single tip but worry it might sound a little ricey at lower rpms, and i think the pops and gurgles are somewhat fun on the larini but im not sure if they would get old and i usually associate that sound with the american muscle cars which i am not a fan. also, i have a little worry about the finish on the larini as i have heard the tips sometimes sag and alignment can be an issue.

any insight and suggestions to help aid me in my decision would be greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 36 Posts