The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 2011 S, what's the better choice? I'm going to get the decat pipe and debating between the valved and regular larini system via sector111. The pros for the valved seem to be a bit more volume and "throatiness" in sport mode with the option of taming it down a bit in normal mode. The cons seem to be increased cost and install/maintenance complexity (with some issues around the heat wrap on the hose going to the valve).

For those that have Larini exhausts installed, what did you choose and why?

[I'm also debating the Plack straight pipes, they sound amazing - but I like the idea of being able to tamp it down a bit when necessary. The Larini valve seems like the next best thing]

·
Registered
115 Posts
For a 2011 S, what's the better choice? I'm going to get the decat pipe and debating between the valved and regular larini system via sector111. The pros for the valved seem to be a bit more volume and "throatiness" in sport mode with the option of taming it down a bit in normal mode. The cons seem to be increased cost and install/maintenance complexity (with some issues around the heat wrap on the hose going to the valve).

For those that have Larini exhausts installed, what did you choose and why?

[I'm also debating the Plack straight pipes, they sound amazing - but I like the idea of being able to tamp it down a bit when necessary. The Larini valve seems like the next best thing]
Had the valved Larini exhaust installed. It sounds awesome without being too drony or too loud.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I can't speak to the non valved but the valved setup with decat is great. The install is pretty easy, takes about a half hour or so if you have a lift. Biggest pain in the a$$ is getting the old muffler off.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I also have a 2011 S and am currently using a valved Larini with delete pipe from sector111. I went with the valved setup so that I can run it loud when I wanted, and quiet other times.

The issue about the hose going to the valve isn’t that big of a deal. Put the OEM hose (more heat resistant) onto the valve side with the hose provided by Larini by the bulkhead. I used two layers of heat protection (fire sleeve protection- 2000 degrees- available from Summit Racing or Jeg’s). I also used stainless wire ties to secure the sleeved hose so there would be no chance of melting. I haven’t had an issue with it so far.
(See: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/larini-valve-hose-routing-170201/ )

I love my Larini. However, just yesterday, I spoke to Plackslayer about his exhaust setup. The reviews here have been all positive with most saying it was the best set up out there. Makes me wonder…what I’m missing?? So, I ordered one up. I’ll decide which one to run once I hear the new one (when the snow finally melts in August :eek: ).

One thing to keep in mind, Plack’s system is not a direct fit to a 2011 S. The downpipe flange on our cars have a different orientation then the N/A cars. He will provide the flange and everything else already setup but you (or your local shop) will have to configure the flange to the downpipe and weld it up.
I was wondering if the Plack exhaust could be run in a “tamed mode” but the various videos posted up seem that it all depends how much foot you put into it. So, I’m going to give it a try.:clap:

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
Have the valved Larini on 2012 S; not tryed the non-valved so I can not compare, however I do like that i have some control over exhaust sound. As above hose is not an issue, just use existing hose in on valve end and thermo wrap.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have an "S".

I am now on my 3rd exhaust - 3 times a charm. Actually 4th.
1st - Lotus Sport exhaust that came with the car. Ok but not really that sporty.
2nd - Flowmaster - there were several posts about this. I got it dealer installed by Flowmaster themselves. Very loud which was great even from startup. Downside was severe drone. I just couldn't take it.
3rd - Non-valved Larini without de-cat pipe. The de-cat pipe was shipped for the NA, not the S so they couldn't put it in. I drove with this for a while. It was not much better than option 1 and I was getting annoyed. However, I saw Shinoo from Sector111 last year at Concorso Italiano and he agreed it was just not all that loud. He claimed it should be louder. We got Larini to re-do the exhaust. They built a non-valved version similar to the valved version but without the valve.
4th - Finally added the de-cat pipe to the above. NOW I'm happy.

Bottom line - do not get the non-valved version. For whatever reason, it is not all that loud. I thought, why bother to pay for the valve but after all that we did, my car's non-valved is basically the same design as what the valved would be had I gone with that in the first place! The de-cat pipe is necessary too - just not really loud enough with it.

Now after comparing to Flowmaster, I'd say that the Larini is more adult-like at low RPM and nicely screams as you get into it. But you do need to get into it as it doesn't do all that much around town.

It sounds throaty but not really low. In videos that people post, I think most people are giving it some throttle in order to get the sound. While it sounds nice at start up, its nothing like the low rumble of a V8 on start or idle. Still, its not bad and its much better than having the drone.

Its also possible that the Lotus Sport exhaust is much better with the decat pipe too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have an "S".

I am now on my 3rd exhaust - 3 times a charm. Actually 4th.
1st - Lotus Sport exhaust that came with the car. Ok but not really that sporty.
2nd - Flowmaster - there were several posts about this. I got it dealer installed by Flowmaster themselves. Very loud which was great even from startup. Downside was severe drone. I just couldn't take it.
3rd - Non-valved Larini without de-cat pipe. The de-cat pipe was shipped for the NA, not the S so they couldn't put it in. I drove with this for a while. It was not much better than option 1 and I was getting annoyed. However, I saw Shinoo from Sector111 last year at Concorso Italiano and he agreed it was just not all that loud. He claimed it should be louder. We got Larini to re-do the exhaust. They built a non-valved version similar to the valved version but without the valve.
4th - Finally added the de-cat pipe to the above. NOW I'm happy.

Bottom line - do not get the non-valved version. For whatever reason, it is not all that loud. I thought, why bother to pay for the valve but after all that we did, my car's non-valved is basically the same design as what the valved would be had I gone with that in the first place! The de-cat pipe is necessary too - just not really loud enough with it.

Now after comparing to Flowmaster, I'd say that the Larini is more adult-like at low RPM and nicely screams as you get into it. But you do need to get into it as it doesn't do all that much around town.

It sounds throaty but not really low. In videos that people post, I think most people are giving it some throttle in order to get the sound. While it sounds nice at start up, its nothing like the low rumble of a V8 on start or idle. Still, its not bad and its much better than having the drone.

Its also possible that the Lotus Sport exhaust is much better with the decat pipe too.
Wait I don't understand your saying not to get the non-valved version? Or did you make a mistake and you meant not to go for the valved version?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the valved Larini with the de-cat pipe and it is one of the best mods I have done to the car so far. When the car is in regular mode the exhaust flows out both the straight pipe and muffler when in sport mode that valve closes off the muffler and it just flows out the straight pipe. I don’t think there is much of a difference in sound between the two modes. But they both sound 100x better than the stock one and I am not driving in sport mode all the time now.

This is it in both modes 1st part closed 2nd open.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the valved Larini with the de-cat pipe and it is one of the best mods I have done to the car so far. When the car is in regular mode the exhaust flows out both the straight pipe and muffler when in sport mode that valve closes off the muffler and it just flows out the straight pipe. I don’t think there is much of a difference in sound between the two modes. But they both sound 100x better than the stock one and I am not driving in sport mode all the time now.

This is it in both modes 1st part closed 2nd open.

Lotus Evora S with Larini Exhaust - YouTube

Quick question, I can't decide if the stock evora s tip is nicer or not than the oval tip from larini, what do you think?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Stock S tip. Not that it's great but the oval tip looks like an anus.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wait I don't understand your saying not to get the non-valved version? Or did you make a mistake and you meant not to go for the valved version?
First, you can get either tip. I have the dual tips although I prefer single. They are easily switchable.

Second, yes, I was saying to get the valved version. Larini built me a special non-valved version but its not possible to order that directly. The version I have is essentially a non-valved version that has the same basic design as the valved version but without the valve. If you could order that, I'd say go for it but they were only willing to do it for me as a special one off as I understand it.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
I like the stock S tip better but am using the Larini oval. Some day maybe get the tip welded on to the Larini.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts