The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
A clubmember of BAEG (Bay Area Esprit Group) recently had a question about retrofitting a newer style '93 up ('92 up for non-US) open back hatch/tailgate onto his '88 Esprit. He is asking if the newer tailgate and the later engine cover will fit an '88 and if there is anyone out there that has actually done this.

Over the years, I have seen SE Esprits converted to this newer tailgate which eliminates the third pane of the 'glasback' and updates the look nicely. I believe that the hatch itself should be a direct bolt-on replacement, but have no experience with the engine cover which must be replaced to fit the newer tailgate.

Is there anyone here that has done this upgrade? Any thoughts you may have on this, especially in regards to the engine cover underneath to fit the new tailgate would be most appreciated. The member is looking to do this on his Bosch injected '88 Esprit and is not sure if the newer engine cover will fit or if it requires modification. No chargecooler, but perhaps the Bosch may or may not have a different layout? Not sure. Will the engine cover have to be cut/modified to fit or will it just slip over easily due to the lack of a chargecooler?

My Commemorative already has an open back so this is not for me, but am trying to help out a fellow clubmember. As always, any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be totally appreciated! :)

Roy
'88 Commemorative Esprit Turbo, #87 of 88 made

·
Registered
175 Posts

Not sure, but do you mean like this? My 88 came this way as a special order. The original owner did not care for the visibility issues created at night by 3 glass panes at odd angles. "Monaco white, matching wheels, and no tail gate glass" was the original request.

The outer glass was never added, fiber glass was added as needed, and then painted when the car was painted... delivered to the original owner through a dealer in Miami in June of 88'. V8 wing was added later by the PO (I am 3rd) as it allows the use of the rear view mirror and the 88's did not.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think that's the look he's going for, but he's asking if the 93+ tailgates will work.

Mine is off at the moment and in the spare bedroom closet. If you'd like, I can take all the measurements of everything if you'd like and we could see if everything would line up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't mind...

However, it may be more cost effective for him to simply have the glass removed and the minor body fill and paint job done?

But, be sure you get the area where the actual hinges bolt in. There is a odd curve there on the 88'. I think it is across the years, but I could see the bolt holes being different just because we don't measure it! LOL

Cameron

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!
Wow, that's really cool, Autocross7...until today, I had never heard of an '88 special ordered with the Commemorative tailgate before. Nice...that is the same tailgate that I have on mine. In that year, usually only the Commemorative Editions came with that non-third pane hatch. Your special-ordered car is very rare indeed!

The newer tailgate that a fellow clubmember was looking to put on his '88 was like the one in the picture below (I found this picture online) which came on '93 and later Esprits here in the US.

He was wondering if anyone had first hand experience putting a later one on their Esprit as an update, ideally on an '88, and was curious if the new style engine cover (that goes underneath) which is needed to work with this later tailgate is compatible with his Bosch injected '88 engine compartment.

Had no idea that there was a curve...definitely getting interesting now as I had heard for years that they are the same. This is uncharted territory, so guessing there must be some variations from year to year.

Thanks Firefighter1c57...totally appreciated the kind offer, but no need to measure just yet. Will definitely keep you in mind if it comes to that though...thanks again!

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, removal of that third pane and some minor body fill is a possibility, but I believe that the overhang above is different and shorter on those that originally came with that additional pane as well. :)

Wow...that car looks fantastic...love the black and white checkerboard flooring too...a nice touch!

Roy

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,351 Posts
Didn't the ROW (Rest of World) Esprit line include a non-Turbo "base model" with an open back? LOOK:

Esprit Models

So, perhaps a UK supplier like SJ Sportscars would have one (or know where one is available).

Shipping might be a killer, though.

+++++++++++++

PS, My favorite thing in Cameron's picture is the spare set of timing belt/cam wheels and tensioner hanging on the wall! (Always nice to have a reference when you are doing that task. HeeHee.)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Atwell!
Yes, that is another good alternative, although I think the person was looking to update their car to the newer '93 up style tailgate. LOL...I enjoyed those items in the picture too...my favorite was that yellow sign with the guy burning rubber with snake trails up the road. :)

Interesting...I just noticed that Autocross7's (Cameron?) car in the picture has an open back tailgate, but does not appear have that flat black raised portion surrounding the engine grill that Commemoratives and the red N/A car in your link has. The entire area is in white so possibly, it just doesn't show in the pic, but normally, that surrounding portion is raised up another half an inch or so.

Always fascinating to study differences from Esprit to Esprit...gotta love it! :)

Happy Sunday, all!!!!

Roy

·
Registered
175 Posts
The engine vent is not quite visible in my posted photo... but the area is slightly raised. I mean slightly... maybe 1/4 inch give or take. Hard to see as the area is all body color where some seem to be mat black. The general slope down begins just after the engine vent...

Cameron

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool...so it is the same tailgate as the Commemorative then. Thought it was, but couldn't tell from the pic. Thanks Cameron! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts