The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw this out and see what your verdict is on the recent Montreal race. Where you upset that Hamilton was out and at the same time, took out Kimi? How impressive was Masa's comeback and finally, were you ok in how BMW (Robert Kubica) finally made his first place podium finish since 1982 (for BMW)?

Personally, I am ecstatic that there is some real competition now and that there is no TC, although the playing field is not yet level, someone has definitely come to the dinner table...this might end up being a really exciting season :clap:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I wished Kubica had won the race fairly - I am sure he has the skills and the car to do it. The way it happened, somehow tainted it for me.

What an absolutely stupid rookie mistake by Hamilton - I could not believe my eyes!! He got off lightly with a 10 grid penalty IMO.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I am very happy for Kubica and Dr. Mario Thiessen and the whole BMW team ! Great to see the "other guys" coming to the top, and mixing it up. The BMW guys have worked long and hard for this, and I think it's great. I don't think that the fact that Hamilton ran into Raikonnen takes anything away from Kubica's win. As they say, "that's racing" :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
+1 for BMW and Kubica!

Race was great and RK didn't get to the top of the 2008 world champion title chase by getting lucky...

The poles sure we're throwing down in Montreal after the race.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Kubica's consistent, he's fast and his car is getting faster. Even Kimi commented that he can see BMW contending for the constructor title this year. Robert's win is not tainted. That's racing. I enjoyed it when he thanked Lewis for hitting Kimi and not him. He caught a lucky break there, just like Lewis caught one in Monaco when the safety car came out after he flattened his tire early in the race. And let's not forget ol' Phil Massa-his two-car pass for position was outstanding.

Tom

·
Registered
492 Posts
It was great to see Kubica win - would he have won if Lewis and Kimi hadn't had their 'incident'? Probably not.

So lets see, Kimi runs into Sutil ay 200mph and gets no penalty. Lewis runs into Kimi at 20mph and gets a 10 place penalty. How fair is that?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It was great to see Kubica win - would he have won if Lewis and Kimi hadn't had their 'incident'? Probably not.

So lets see, Kimi runs into Sutil ay 200mph and gets no penalty. Lewis runs into Kimi at 20mph and gets a 10 place penalty. How fair is that?
One is on the track during a race, the other one is in a pit lane with a huge fricking blinking red light and there is a nice little swerve at the last second. I think apples to oranges. It's like passing under a yellow or something similar which also will get you penalized.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
One is on the track during a race, the other one is in a pit lane with a huge fricking blinking red light and there is a nice little swerve at the last second. I think apples to oranges. It's like passing under a yellow or something similar which also will get you penalized.
+1

Congrats to Kubica and BMW. A well deserved victory. I'd include Kubica on my short list of future F1 champions.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Probably not but I think he would have placed 2nd and do believe that even at 2nd, BMW is making a serious run at Ferrari and McLaren.

This makes for a very good race season and it'd be interesting to see how Hamilton, Kimi and Masa fairs in two weeks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey! Saw it ALL with my own eyes. I was sitting by the first corner overlooking the pits. Awesome stuff. Told you to go with me!
Was a good day to be Polish... kurva mat'

·
Registered
974 Posts
No doubt Ferrari alway's seem to get away with more. Winning at Monaco or the championship takes some degree of luck. You can look at most championships and find these situatioins. That was a straight win for Kubica. The guy definitely hangs it out there on every lap. Good to see another team contending. Still really like Hamilton. Mistakes are made by all and he is still relatively new to F1 even his success shows like a veteran. You can certainly see something special with Kubica as in Hamilton and Alonso.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I think the competition is a lot closer this year. Sutil almost came in 4th place last race. Force India, who woulda thought that. Makes it way more exciting.

As for the Hamilton crash, I couldn't believe what happened. I saw it happen thru my camera lens, but didn't fully understand what happened till I saw it on the news at the hotel. Well, crap happens. He did seen a little to relaxed and distracted during the driver's parade though. Oh well for my two favorite drivers.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
See what happens when I'm forced to get a BMW? :D

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it. But it's kinda nice to see more than two dogs at the food bowl for a change. It's even more impressive when you consider that this team was once Sauber(!). (Guess it still is in a way, though BMW plays much more of a factor.) Doing what they've done in just under three years is amazing.

And, like macdady2424 commented, I was actually rooting for Sutil. For quite some time, F1's seemed a bit like a high-speed parade to me.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Hamilton was beaten for two positions in the pits, he panicked and messed up in a highly embarrassing fashion. I guess he could have hit them both, but he was trying to drift left. Could easily cost him the Championship, just like beaching a car with no tires left last season.
Still, a red light at the end of a pit out is kinda bizarre. So is closing the pits for a safety car. Are they just trying to be different from NASCAR?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
well, hamilton was beeten in the pits b/c they put more fuel on. He was running fast laps and in theory, if he stayed with kimi and kubica, he coulda made up the time when they went back in the pits. It would a been a good race. Well it still was, there was some good passing.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

nevermind the fact that one was after loss of control on track and the other a stupid moment.

kudos kubica. as for the other guys- racesh*t happens. rk he would not be leading the points tally had he not been consistent in 6 other races

1 - 20 of 21 Posts