The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke to Joe Van de Veere at Galpin Prestige.
The paperwork has gone through and they are now a Lotus dealer. He spoke to Gary Hagan from LCUSA yesterday and was told to expect 7-9 cars per month begining 3rd week of September.

Because of their late start in the game, they still are unsure about when they will start to be able to spec order cars. The first batch they get will probably be just what Lotus chooses to send, (all Aztec or Krypton ?).If you are number 1 on the list you get first choice of what arrives.If you are number 9 you get the car that the other 8 didn't want. OR from anyplace in line you can refuse all the cars that come and spec order yours.

The deal I signed at Galpin was #11 for MSRP and $3k deposit. If you spec order the deposit becomes non refundable and they ask for another $7k. No part of that is premium and you would then have a $10K downpayment in place when car arrives.

Steve

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
and how many $3k payments on the list? and are there any cars on their list that are NOT customer msrp cars (i.e., "extra" cars to be sold at market value)?

inquiring buyers wanna know

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sownman wrote:
If you spec order the deposit becomes non refundable and they ask for another $7k. No part of that is premium and you would then have a $10K downpayment in place when car arrives.
WHAT?!? I hadn't heard that! I had heard it was a $3K deposit, $595 for LoJack (or other equipment of equal value) and you could order a car. I didn't hear that it was $7000 to spec-out a car. I guess it really doesn't matter much since it would go toward deposit, but that means that there's less in my savings account to live on until my next consulting gig turns-up. Grumble!

As for # of deposits, David Guiterrez (Lotus sales at Galpin) told me that they had 22 deposits of $3K and weren't taking anymore. They would have names on a back-up list, but wouldn't take any money. They only wanted cash deposits for the total number of cars they know they would receive.

Bob

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last I heard the list was stopped at 22 which was the number of cars they expected in 2004. There was also mention of a "list" of seven after the 22. I didn't bring up that subject ie: whats the list now ? Is it reopened ?

My contract reads "Lotus Elise allocation #11" not just spot 11 on the list. Legally there is no room for extra cars sold at market value when phrased that way. Of course some cheating is not all that hard. You would have to live across the street from your dealer and make a full time job out of watching deliveries and pickups. Thusfar I have the utmost confidence in Joe. I think Galpin is quite happy to become a Lotus dealer and is very interested in doing the right thing by people. I honestly don't understand why dealers do otherwise, there is a healthy profit and goodwill at MSRP.

Steve

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Sownman said:
He spoke to Gary Hagan from LCUSA yesterday and was told to expect 7-9 cars per month begining 3rd week of September.
sounds like a lot of cars for a brand new/small dealer. Especially with only 22 deposits. They'll have gotten all 22 by 3 months! What then? I don't believe it. Maybe 3 a month...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Latest from Galpin

shay2nak said:
sounds like a lot of cars for a brand new/small dealer. Especially with only 22 deposits. They'll have gotten all 22 by 3 months! What then? I don't believe it. Maybe 3 a month...
What small ? I think Galpin is the number one presence for Lotus in Los Angeles. They are going to be what Symbolic failed at being because they didn't keep their doors open. Galpin is in no way small. They carry Ford, Lincoln, Saturn, Mazda, Volvo, Jag, and Astin Martin. They always have a selection on hand of Saleen and Rausch Mustangs

When Lotus is added to the Galpin Prestige showroom with Jag and Astin I think they are just taking another step. Ferrari or Lambourghgini next would't surprise me.

Steve

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To be honest, I think Lotus really sees Galpin as a premier presence in Los Angeles. They are a huge dealership and I don't think Galpin would make the commitment to tear-up their showroom and remodel a corner for Lotus if they were only getting 2 or 3 cars a month. I seriously do believe they'll get the 7 - 9 cars a month through Dec. 2004. After that, I don't know what their allocation might be.

FWIW, I am almost certain ($3K deposit certain) that Galpin will deliver my #18 spot car before Newport European will deliver my "30-something" car. Of course, the proof is in the pudding (or waiting...)

Bob

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Symbolic may be re-opening a dealership in the LA area in the next two months, but I'm not privy to where that might be. They didn't respond when I asked how they felt about the Galpin situation.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
JML.
Yep, but didn't Symbolic say they were opening up a new dealership in the next two months back during the LA Show?;)

If Galpin's rep is as good as people apparently say it is, I'm afraid no way symbolic will be able to go head to head with them. I suspect Galpins got a great customer service rep.

This is great news for the LA market I think
Chris

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sownman said:
I just spoke to Joe Van de Veere at Galpin Prestige.
The paperwork has gone through and they are now a Lotus dealer. He spoke to Gary Hagan from LCUSA yesterday and was told to expect 7-9 cars per month begining 3rd week of September.

Because of their late start in the game, they still are unsure about when they will start to be able to spec order cars. The first batch they get will probably be just what Lotus chooses to send, (all Aztec or Krypton ?).If you are number 1 on the list you get first choice of what arrives.If you are number 9 you get the car that the other 8 didn't want. OR from anyplace in line you can refuse all the cars that come and spec order yours.

The deal I signed at Galpin was #11 for MSRP and $3k deposit. If you spec order the deposit becomes non refundable and they ask for another $7k. No part of that is premium and you would then have a $10K downpayment in place when car arrives.

Steve
[/QUOTE

Steve, did you actually sign a contract saying "#11 allotment"???. They faxed me over a receipt for 3000.00 but they didnt note a number/place in line. I called them awhile back and Joe said I was #13. I didnt sign anything. I talked to Joe today and he said that they were going to get 4-5 cars perhaps in late Sept and they will not be spoken for. He said the people on list has first crack at them but does this mean it will be at MSRP or mkt value like some dealers are doing????. Also, I hope we can spec out our cars soon cause I would disappointed if they kept getting cars that were unspoken for while the spec'd cars we ordered are in limbo. What is your opinion on this?. Regarding the extra 7000.00 deposit, I would be happy to pay the entire amt of the car right now if he could guarantee me my car by Oct/Nov. Joe seems like a good guy.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
JML.
Yep, but didn't Symbolic say they were opening up a new dealership in the next two months back during the LA Show?;)

Shouldn't you be out driving your car or something? ;)

I think that Symbolic has adopted Lotus' Fall 2003 approach for this. I'm expecting to pick up my car in La Jolla, which will make for a nice 200 mile drive back home.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve, did you actually sign a contract saying "#11 allotment"???.
Yes my paper says Lotus Elise allocation #11

I think the not spec ordering could actually prove to be a good thing, maybe getting the car faster. My #1 choice is SY/Black/touring. I would also be happy with AR/black or biscuit/touring, or CO/black/touring or even BRG/biscuit/touring. I would be happy with any high visibility color scheme. If the BRG came I'd add yellow type25 style stripes for my visibility issue.

At any rate I'm thrilled to move from #25 in SLC to #11, and get a Lotus service spot 17 miles from home.

Steve

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
jml1952 said:
Symbolic may be re-opening a dealership in the LA area ...
I've heard they sold their LA franchise back to LCU which in turn allowed Lotus to bring Galpin onto the LA scene. I've also heard that Symbolic will get cars for all of their waitlist customers from LA & La Jolla in trade for selling back the franchise.

Seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
shinoo said:
I've heard they sold their LA franchise back to LCU which in turn allowed Lotus to bring Galpin onto the LA scene. I've also heard that Symbolic will get cars for all of their waitlist customers from LA & La Jolla in trade for selling back the franchise.

Seems reasonable to me.
That's certainly possible. I was told earlier this week that Symbolic expected to reopen in a couple of months, but as Chris pointed out we've heard that story before. From my own selfish perspective, it doesn't matter as long as that second sentence is true. And since my car is being built now, that seems to cover me.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
JML.
Sounds like you'll be happier with servicing at Galpin anyway,
BTW> turned over 1100 miles now, car was serviced yesterday I'm good to go fro 7500 more miles (official service intervals) though I'll change the oil at the midpoint probably.
Chris

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
JML.
BTW> turned over 1100 miles now, car was serviced yesterday I'm good to go fro 7500 more miles (official service intervals) though I'll change the oil at the midpoint probably.
Chris
Chris, now that the engine is starting to get past the breakin period have you felt any difference in performance? Maybe the engine revs a little more freely or it seems to have more pick up?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
fred to be honest I couldn't say about the reving. I can say mileage improved. Also, the idle is smoother. First couple hundreds miles it stalled a couple times when cold, hasn't since. When you hit 6200 still get the noticeable goose.

All around liking the car more and more. Nothing beats coming out to the parking garage at end of workday, popping the top and tooling around!
Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
JML.
Chris
Chris, I'll be going to Silver Star for servicing since it's 5 miles from my house.

So what was the damage for the initial service?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mact333, you were told you were number 13? That scares me because I was told that I am number 13. We need to all have something in writing saying what number we are. As far as the $7000 goes to spec out your car, i'd pay that today if I knew for sure that was the case. We all just need to know what the facts are.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts