The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I think it needs revisited every once in a while as insurance seems to be ever changing. I've been with Nationwide since 1987, I have no claims, no tickets, multicar, married, 55years old, blah, blah, boring, (you get it). My insurance has been jumping up every 6 months for the last few years to where I'm paying around $1700 a year for the Elise. I also live in Las Vegas where insurance rates tend to suck a bit. Does this number sound normal or should I be shopping? I'm not so much looking for the cheapest as much as I'm looking for "reasonable". Anyone out there care to compare or comment?

·
Dog Pilot
75 Posts
You should definitely be shopping around. I have Farmers and I am paying about $1200 a year for my Exige...

What is your deductible? I have a $2500 deductible... not like I'm going to make a claim for less than that anyway.

·
Less is Better
2,782 Posts
Insurance practices never change. They play the same game they have for decades. You've been with the same insurance company for 27 years which means you've likely been overpaying for insurance for the past 24 years. Shop around, including classic and exotic insurers. There is no one company that works best for everyone.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
yea, once geico starts upping the premiums I'm going to shop around again.

I pay 1400 a year for elise + 09 Suzuki sx4

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
30, single, perfect record. Insured through AAA for 11k miles a year( I only drive about 3-4k) $500 deductible. Paying $1100 a year full coverage.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Keep in mind that location/state matters a *lot* when talking insurance.

For example by this data:

Average Cost of Car Insurance | Average Cost of Insurance | ValuePenguin

I'm paying a bit *under* the state car insurance average (somehow) to insure my Elise in CO, but if I lived in Maine or Iowa I'd be getting robbed paying the same amount, and in DC I'd be getting a steal!

Besides weather, roads, driving style, etc., different states have different rates of uninsured drivers and different laws about who pays how much in accidents so insurance will always cost more in some states (like Michigan, which I think still has unlimited personal liability)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
23, single, 'perfect' driving record, living in small-mid sized town, $1300 a year for elise and exige, $500 deductible, 300k coverage

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have $500 deductible for collision and $250 on comprehensive. Looking at my policy, it appears bodily injury took the biggest leap-but only on the Elise. The other vehicles just went up a small amount. Anyone in the southern Nevada market?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pay 3000 a year. Full coverage for myself and wife both 27 in NJ near NYC

05 Elise, 09 WRX, 11 X3 and 04 Corolla.

Full coverage for all vehicles 1k Deductible collision and 500 Comprehensive.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I live in PA and am insured with State Farm , I pay $400/6 months and it drops by half in the winter when I withdraw from use. I have 250/500 liab 100 comp 500 collision. It is a low mileage pleasure vehicle and I get all the discounts Multi car, Multi Policy etc.

BTW my Viper is $145/6 months in their classic program. They really are the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
im sure it depends on state and coverage, but i don't pay nearly that for my cars.

I have "maine collector vehicle insurance" and i pay $314 a year for full coverage on 4 play cars (my turbo esprit being one of them) so roughly 80 a year or $7 a month for the car. I was pretty excited when i found it. I was paying $26 a month for liability only on a datsun 510 through all state.

catch is they can't be my primary vehicle, but thats ok cause i always claim my lifted f250 diesel tow pig as primary.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
You'll pay $ 437.26 per week.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
or less. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I think it needs revisited every once in a while as insurance seems to be ever changing. I've been with Nationwide since 1987, I have no claims, no tickets, multicar, married, 55years old, blah, blah, boring, (you get it). My insurance has been jumping up every 6 months for the last few years to where I'm paying around $1700 a year for the Elise. I also live in Las Vegas where insurance rates tend to suck a bit. Does this number sound normal or should I be shopping? I'm not so much looking for the cheapest as much as I'm looking for "reasonable". Anyone out there care to compare or comment?

I was quoted that per 6 months and they hadn't even run my driving record. Las Vegas has the highest insurance I had run into yet. I am regretting buying an Evora. Nobody will do GAP (Dealer had me believing it was eay to get he just couldn't do it). Almost $200 a month more than my Porsche................what gives? I bought the car as a garage Queen to take out every other weekend when I am in town. The insurance is a kill joy for sure.

I should note, I am 49 about to turn 50 in less than 2 months, no tickets in 10 years, my wife even longer. 1 claim for less than 2k which did not involve another car in the last 5 years. Wife no accidents since the early 90's.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Wow some of these rates makes me want to send a fruit basket to my agent. I'm 31, clean record, single, live in the silicon valley. I pay $1300 a year for my 600RR, Miata, and Exige together. Miata and the 600rr are both liability only though since they really aren't that high of a value. The Exige alone is $1100 a year. It is full coverage with uninsured motorist and all that jazz. I use AAA and have been for 15 years. My rates never goes up annually.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
28 Male (single), living in WI. insured through Geico (who I've been with since purchasing my Elise 3 years ago)

I pay roughly $900 a year for my 05 Elise (full @ about $50'ish per month) & 94 civic (liability)...standard $500/1000 deductibles. violation free for over 5 years now...

prior to my switch to Geico I was insured through Accuity & payed about $1400 a year to insure 2 mid 90's commuters... needless to say i'm happy I finally decided to 'shop around' & in hindsight wish i had done it years prior

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
I'm 24 with a clean record, driving for 6 years. I pay Geico $149 a month for full coverage on both my cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Frustrated by Insurance for my Lotus

I have been tossed into the fun game of insurance shopping recently due to an unexpected spike in my rates. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. There are far more companies that I would have thought that won't insure a Lotus. (like my '05 Elise)

2. The big name companies are really expensive.

3. Many of the smaller companies won't insure a Lotus, but those that do are providing rates that are better than the bigger companies.

The primary reason I'm posting is to let folks know that if you have the time and are willing to put up with the oodles of questions you have to answer to get a quote from each one of these smaller firms, it's worth it in the long run.

I haven't decided yet who I will go with when I'm done, but I'll repost the company once I pull the trigger (still waiting to hear back from a few agents). I would also suggest working through an independent agent as they can go out to a lot of these smaller companies for you - let them do the work.

I think it's garbage that with only 2 tickets in the last 3 years (both in the Lotus) I'm getting the kind of highway robbery rates that I'm seeing! Why must a few occasions of spirited driving be punished so severely??

-frustrated-

'05 Elise
'70 Mach I Mustang

1 - 19 of 19 Posts