The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Evora S, 2001 Porsche Boxster, 2018 Audi A3
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Masking everything off was easy-peasy. I’d used this translucent red metalcast paint from Dupli-Color before on my Elan M100’s valve cover with very good results, so I thought I’d give it a go on the Evora. I wanted the red cover look, but thought something a little more subtle would be nice. The paint is good for up to 500°F.

I couldn’t be happier!

Here are a few shot during and after.

Liquid Tin Bottle Automotive tire Fluid

Boat Water Watercraft Motor vehicle Plant

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great. Did you plastidip the Lotus emblem first or is that tape?
I masked those pieces off. I used 2 inch wide painter's tape, and cut around the edges of each letter with an exacto knife. The "Performance" part of the badging was much easier. It just needed one piece of tape cut to fit.

To mask off the main part, I used the 2 inch wide tape pressed into the edge with my fingernail as I put the tape on. Then I went around it in that space with the knife.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That looks really sharp! Did you need to sand the area to be painted, or clean it with something before painting?

·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
131 Posts
For my new 2021 Evora GT410 Sport IPS I did the same in some other way..........

Previous Black wrinkle cover

New Red wrinkle cover

1) Took off the cover ......the steel / plastic gasket can be reused conform the Lotus importer.
2) Sanded the (black) cover slightly between the LOTUS trade mark and the rest of the cover with a kind of "scotch-brite" sanding pad
3) Cleaning with brake cleaner fluid
4) Several layers with red wrinkle paint VHT SP 204......also over the Lotus trade mark
5) Baked in kitchen oven 1 hr at 110 degr. C.
6) Carefully scraped off the still soft paint off the Lotus trade mark with a kind of wide Stanley knife blade; works asthonishingly easy and clean, without scrapes.
7) Sanded / polished the blank aluminium with min. 400 grit paper on flat block sanding hand tool
8) Several layers of 2 component (2K) matt clear coat.......the Lotus alu trade mark now is covered against corrosion and the entire cover better against moisture; wrinkle effect remains.
PAINTS:
  • VHT Wrinkle Plus™ Coatings -- High Heat Coatings
  • Eastwood 2K Aerospray Clear Coat Matte & High-Gloss (MATTE FINISH !)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks really sharp! Did you need to sand the area to be painted, or clean it with something before painting?
I first washed it with soapy water, then dried it off and wiped it down with alcohol. Then I started masking it off. Eventually I put on one thin coat and two heavier coats of the paint.

The best surface for this paint is chrome, because the more reflective the surface is, the better the shine will be. I wasn't sure how it would turn out on what is essentially just a silver painted surface, without the reflective properties of a chrome surface, but I'm really pleased with the result.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For my new 2021 Evora GT410 Sport IPS I did the same in some other way..........

New Red wrinkle cover

1) Took off the cover ......the steel / plastic gasket can be reused conform the Lotus importer.
2) Sanded the (black) cover slightly between the LOTUS trade mark and the rest of the cover with a kind of "scotch-brite" sanding pad
4) Several layers with red wrinkle paint VHT SP 204......also over the Lotus trade mark
6) Carefully scraped off the still soft paint off the Lotus trade mark with a kind of wide Stanley knife blade; works asthonishingly easy and clean, without scrapes.
7) Sanded / polished the blank aluminium with min. 400 grit paper on flat block sanding hand tool
8) Several layers of 2 component (2K) matt clear coat.......the Lotus alu trade mark now is covered against corrosion and the entire cover better against moisture; wrinkle effect remains.
PAINTS:

Nice work! Looks fantastic, as does the car.

·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
131 Posts
Nice work! Looks fantastic, as does the car.
Thank you.........
Your painting on your Evora compressor cover is different but very, very nice done.
It is a very original kind of metallic paint that suits extremely well.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I first washed it with soapy water, then dried it off and wiped it down with alcohol. Then I started masking it off. Eventually I put on one thin coat and two heavier coats of the paint.

The best surface for this paint is chrome, because the more reflective the surface is, the better the shine will be. I wasn't sure how it would turn out on what is essentially just a silver painted surface, without the reflective properties of a chrome surface, but I'm really pleased with the result.
Thanks for the instructions--I'm going to give that a try!

·
Registered
19 Posts

New Red wrinkle cover

PAINTS:

That looks fantastic! I'm not sure why Lotus would paint that supercharger cover black. It looks nice, but it's just kind of boring. And what you did to it looks, well, I said it before. Fantastic!

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Very nice, now it resembles the Lotus V8 aesthetic 😀:

Hood Motor vehicle Grille Automotive tire Car

Reactions: JoelCool

·
Orange
164 Posts
Nice work, do not like the red vent tube, black is much better.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Looks like it would match my Canyon Red pretty nicely! Going to add this to my to do list!

Reactions: Tweetdriver63
1 - 18 of 18 Posts