The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found plenty of threads on tires for a V8 Esprit, but they are old threads and many of the tires mentioned are no longer available in our size.

So, what's the latest thinking on tires?

Honestly my goals are to give up a little dry/wet traction and tread life for more bump absorption and less tread noise. My full out racing days are over, and I want to be able to enjoy around town driving in the Esprit so my car doesn't become a garage queen. If the tires beat up my g/f, it won't get as much use as it could. I am sure many of you know how that works.

I am also looking to get 295's in the rear for appearance, and I am open to other sizes in the front to give more options for matching tire sets.

Looking forward to hearing about your recent tire experiences.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Found plenty of threads on tires for a V8 Esprit, but they are old threads and many of the tires mentioned are no longer available in our size.

So, what's the latest thinking on tires?

Honestly my goals are to give up a little dry/wet traction and tread life for more bump absorption and less tread noise. My full out racing days are over, and I want to be able to enjoy around town driving in the Esprit so my car doesn't become a garage queen. If the tires beat up my g/f, it won't get as much use as it could. I am sure many of you know how that works.

I am also looking to get 295's in the rear for appearance, and I am open to other sizes in the front to give more options for matching tire sets.

Looking forward to hearing about your recent tire experiences.
I ended up in the same boat as you - I was tired of screwing around with rough-riding, noisy, soft & sticky Z-rated tires that have to be replaced every other year. Instead, I went with a Continental Extreme Contact DWS tire for my '87 Esprit and I freeging love them! They ride great, look cool, actually handle in the wet, and provide plenty of grip when needed. I dont and never will drive the car overly aggressively on the roads - just too much can go wrong. So, why have a racing tire on a car that I cruise around in?

I have about 10K on them and they look like new. That wouldnt have happened if I had went with some obnoxious, Z-rated racing tire.

The car feels great on the road too, nice and planted with still good steering feel although turn-in isnt quite as immediate as with a racing tire. Still though, Im getting 80% to 85% of the grip without all the BS.

Thats my take on it! I'll never buy aggressive tires for my car again. Ever! Something moderate but still performance oriented is just fine. ;)

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whose running Sumitomo HTR Z II's? They actually have better user reviews than the more expensive Continental DWS tires. At less than $500 for a full set of V8 stock sizes, they are worth a look.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Whose running Sumitomo HTR Z II's? They actually have better user reviews than the more expensive Continental DWS tires. At less than $500 for a full set of V8 stock sizes, they are worth a look.
Funny you bring those up: Guess what was on my car before the Contis? Yep - The Sumitomo HTRZII. Good performance tire but they are rough riding and short-lived. Guess Im getting old. The Conti might not have the dry grip performance of the Sumitomo but it kills it in just about every other area. The Conti is NOT a track-day tire. I knkew that going into it. I like them a lot though and I suspect whatever money is saved on buying something else will just get eaten up when I have to rebuy them in a year or two.

All options should be looked at though. Each car and owner is different and has different expectations.:)

·
Registered
860 Posts
The best riding, quietest high performance tire I have tried is the kuhmo ecsta spt. Awesome wry and dry traction. I use these on my twin turbo g35 which is far more powerful than any esprit. I don't know if they have these tires in v8 esprit sizes though. Check them out though

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best riding, quietest high performance tire I have tried is the kuhmo ecsta spt. Awesome wry and dry traction. I use these on my twin turbo g35 which is far more powerful than any esprit. I don't know if they have these tires in v8 esprit sizes though. Check them out though
Unfortunately, they don't have any sizes that would work on the rear of a V8. :sad:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Streetable track tires

I know that the original post was looking for quiet street tires, but in case other folks read this thread that have interests beyond that, I thought I'd share my experience with my latest tires.

I enjoy excercising my '02 V8 at the track regularly in addition to street driving on nice driving occasions. A couple track days ago I had one of my street tires fail at the track (the tread separated from the core but didn't fly apart so it was easily controllable). I decided to try some tires better suited to the track but I didn't want track-only tires.

I put the Nitto NT05's on my car and I was pleased with them at the last track day I ran with them. The traction was loads better than my previous street tires and some of the complaints of them not giving very good audible waring (squaling) before letting go didn't seem like an issue when I ran them. I'm pretty pleased with them for mixed track/street use and would recommend them to someone looking for a track-worthy street tire. They are also not all that expensive although they are unlikely to last for a long time. I picked up my set at America's Tire (you can search for the Nitto NT05's in their online shop).

Knut

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the info Knut. I was looking at the Nitto NT-05 next. How are they in the rain?
These tires don't have a lot of tread pattern. There are two wide grooves in the treadface but the rubber between the grooves is in large part treadless (think racing slicks). I would not choose to run these tires in the rain (my car is a fair-weather car as I have other cars I run in the rain). If caught in an unexpected shower or something I'm sure I'd have no trouble managing but I wouldn't be doing aything spirited with these tires when it's wet.

Knut

·
Registered
860 Posts
if you are lookign for a track tire that you can drive on the steet, look no further than the toyo r888. simply, a phenominal tire! ....and it comes in the right sizes for the V8 wheels.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I currently have the HTR Z II's on my V8. They seem to work well, although I don't have much experience with different tires. Considering the price tag I don't think you can go wrong with these, but next time around I will probably try something different.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I currently have the HTR Z II's on my V8. They seem to work well, although I don't have much experience with different tires. Considering the price tag I don't think you can go wrong with these, but next time around I will probably try something different.
I would say they are a very good value for a performance tire, no doubt there. For those looking for something a little more civilized.... stay away!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I considered the nt-05's for my daily driver but what kept me away was the tread ware rating and like stated shallow tread, like buying a shaved tired.

I am not sure if Michelin pilot super sports are available in your sizes but it's worth a look. Great traction in wet and dry roads plus very quiet tire with a 300 tread ware vs under 140 if I recall for the nt05's.

The issue I have always had with some of the cheaper tires is they usually wear poorly and get noisy as they age.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
if you are lookign for a track tire that you can drive on the steet, look no further than the toyo r888. simply, a phenominal tire! ....and it comes in the right sizes for the V8 wheels.
I see they have the correct size for the front tire on the V8 wheels, but not the rear.

Proxes R888 | Toyo Tires

275/35ZR18 99Y RD 162800 9.0-9.5-11.0 25.7 11 6 27.9
275/40ZR18 99W 168110 9.0-9.5-11.0 26.7 11 6 29.4
285/30ZR18 97Y RD 168250 9.5-10.0-10.5 24.8 11.3 6 28
295/30ZR18 98Y RD 160960 10.0-10.5-11.0 25.1 11.8 6 29.1
305/35ZR18 162810 10.0-11.0-12.0 26.3 12.4 6 33
315/30ZR18 98Y 162820 10.5-11.0-11.5 25.5 12.5 6 30.4

·
Registered
395 Posts
I considered the nt-05's for my daily driver but what kept me away was the tread ware rating and like stated shallow tread, like buying a shaved tired.

I am not sure if Michelin pilot super sports are available in your sizes but it's worth a look. Great traction in wet and dry roads plus very quiet tire with a 300 tread ware vs under 140 if I recall for the nt05's.

The issue I have always had with some of the cheaper tires is they usually wear poorly and get noisy as they age.
Indeed the NT05's might best be viewed as a streetable track tire and might not be the best choice for daily road driving. There is often a correlation between how sticky a tire is and it's treadwear so I think it's pretty common that sticky tires have lower treadwear. It's one of those tradeoffs...

Knut

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I thought I had a good idea on what to do for tires, but I was focusing on the rear when the hard one to fit is the front.

I would like to go with a 295/35 in the rear and stock in the front. But I am ok with a 285/35 in the rear with stock in the front.

In these combos, I can only find the Sumitomos from Tirerack and a couple of Falken's from Discount Tire because the front is so rare.

So are you guys running a different size than stock in front?

The front stock tire size fills the wheel arches nicely, and it looks like any bigger in front might rub.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can understand how hard tire selection is for the stock setup. That's why I went with a more modern size. 19X8.5 (235 35R19) fronts and 19X11 (305 30R19) rears. Hankook Ventus $1600 for the set mounted and balanced. Low noise. Haven't tried it in the canyons yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts