• Yes

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lauda thinks the Stewards have made a stupid decision.

Lauda: Lewis penalty will harm F1 - F1 | ITV Sport

Lauda: Lewis penalty will harm F1
Monday, 08 September 2008 14:43

Former world champion Niki Lauda has blasted the Belgian Grand Prix stewards' decision to penalise Lewis Hamilton as a 'stupid' verdict that will make fans turn away from the sport.

Hamilton won the Spa race on the road after a frantic late dice with Kimi Raikkonen, but was given a 25 second penalty for cutting the Bus Stop chicane during their battle - even though he immediately let the Ferrari back through.

Lauda, who won titles for both Ferrari and McLaren, admitted that the officials' actions left him baffled and frustrated.

"I do not understand this completely wrong decision," he told BBC Radio Five Live."Everything was explained perfectly: Lewis had an advantage, but then he let him go by, then he simply out-braked him into the corner.

"There was no slipstreaming involved, nothing.

"Just think about it: if Lewis had stayed behind Kimi through the chicane, he would have passed him in front of the pits, because Lewis and the McLaren, at that time in the race in the wet, were so much quicker.

"So I do not understand this decision, and it's really bad for the sport because people watching will not watch anymore because of this stupid decision."

The Austrian legend said that Hamilton's penalty made him start to believe suggestions that the authorities favoured Ferrari.

"In the past, there have always been rumours and stories - and I've always been completely against them because they've never been proven - that Ferrari, because of its past and history, was always against McLaren with the stewards and the FIA, who if there was a decision, were in favour of Ferrari," said Lauda.

"I've always said this is bulls**t, that this is a sport and you have to be neutral, but the decision yesterday makes me believe that everyone is watching Ferrari in a positive way and McLaren in a very negative way.

"What developed yesterday is the biggest mess the sport has ever done."

Lauda reckons that the events of Spa underline the need for permanent race stewards who attend every GP.

"I think the first thing that should happen is to try to train stewards of the meeting to understand the sport and the issues that drivers need to know," he said.

"If you change them all the time, then new people are coming in who don't seem to have a clue."

He believes the stewards misinterpreted Hamilton's actions and thought he had placed his McLaren advantageously when letting Raikkonen back through.

"They understood the rules, but they thought that the slipstream was the advantage and that Lewis did not lift enough," said Lauda.

"This is completely wrong: there was no slipstream involved.

"He tried to pass on the left but Kimi moved over, then he passed on the right because he braked later - without any slipstream.

"It's unbelievable how the best driver in yesterday's race makes no mistakes and only gets six points."

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yep. I'm losing my interest in F1, wow, never thought I'd say that. The best racing is happening at the grass-roots level. SB National series, Formula BMW, karting. Even stock car fans are disappointed with Nextel Cup and the COT. The unified IRL series sucks so far, hopefully '09 will be better. Thank God for ALMS, it just might save road-racing in this country.

·
Registered
856 Posts
You should have made the poll:

Will the hamilton penalty cause you to no longer watch the sport:

Yes
No

My answer, no, it will not turn me away from the sport.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure I will keep watching too but some people will stop watching.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yep. I'm losing my interest in F1, wow, never thought I'd say that. The best racing is happening at the grass-roots level. SB National series, Formula BMW, karting. Even stock car fans are disappointed with Nextel Cup and the COT. The unified IRL series sucks so far, hopefully '09 will be better. Thank God for ALMS, it just might save road-racing in this country.
Interesting... Same can be said for College Basketball and football over the NFL and NBA.

Could sponsors spend less and get a greater gain by backing grassroots sports more than pro sports? They can't do it for college (can't pay the athletes) but could work in the grassroots racing.

My thought is yes, look at Mazda. Now although they do have some pro teams they back, look at what they do for the grassroots level.

Dave

·
Registered
855 Posts
Actually the pole should of been:

Did the decision against Hamilton cause you to loose faith in F1 as an honest sport?

I think people will keep watching but if they keep up with this kind of decision making eventually people will loose interest and fans will drop off. No matter who you favor to win, it is only a competition if it is fair.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have considered stopping watching. Farce.

·
Registered
494 Posts
What I saw was Hamilton cut the chicane, take the position, then let Kimi by off-line, then he jumped back out on-line and passed him again.

Penalty deserved.

Steve

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
IMO, penalty-yes. Loss of win-no. The pass attempt at the Bus Stop was impossible, but a pass soon after that (had LH braked and dropped in behind Kimi going into the chicane) was inevitable. How the stewards couldn't see that is beyond me (and I'm a Massa fan).

The penalty should have been a monetary fine to remind drivers that crazy pass attempts are frowned upon, but because this one resulted in no harm, there should be no foul.

The second F1 looks like racing, the stewards seem to suck the life right out of it...

I'll take DTM, BTCC, V8 Supercars, Rolex or ALMS any day over this.

Tom

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i voted YES, the move in the chicane was bad, but 25seconds is a bit steep IMO

and NO i will keep watching F1 as much as i can...NASCAR is crap

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I'm a borderline fan, but things like this and the Indianapolis fiasco keep pushing me away. Kind of like the gymnastics scoring at the Olympics, it ruins the integrity of the sport and makes me care less. If I was planning to go to a F1 race on the continent, I'm less apt to do so now. Who wants to watch that crap?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
What I saw was Hamilton cut the chicane, take the position, then let Kimi by off-line, then he jumped back out on-line and passed him again.

Penalty deserved.

Steve
I didn't see it that way - to me, it looked pretty clear that Kimi left Hamilton no other choice than to take the run-out area. And Hamilton came back out in front, but immediately let Kimi retake. I don't think it was out of order, at all, given the chaos that the wet conditions produced.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Penalty deserved.

Steve
I'll have to watch it again. But in the rain, the racing line is no longer the "proper" line. So actually, IIRC, LH was not on the proper/wet line. Kimi was.

Kimi tried to ram off LH. LH had to cut the chicane.
LH couldn't safely cross the track to let Kimi go by on the race/dry line.
In the rain, the race line gets really slippery and you must avoid it.
Kimi cut back on the race/dry line.
LH went off the race/dry line and moved inside on the proper/wet line where there was more grip.
LH outbraked Kimi.
End of story.

FIA is a farce. They proved it in 1997 with the stupid penalty given to MS after ramming JV in Jerez.
They proved it again last year with the 100m$ fine.
They proved it again yesterday.

Hey SweetDaddy, where's my t-shirt?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What advantage did Hamilton get from taking the safety route? KR had slowed right down as a result of the rain. Hamilton was all over him. KR forced him wide. In the rain cutting the chicane was the best option. After he pulled up next to him but slightly behind, there couldn't have been any slip stream. Again so where's the advantage. Later KR spins off on his own. Stupid decision. Looks like they want to take the racing out of the sport. It is this kind of wheel to wheel action that makes the sport exciting. Just like that famous race between Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux. Arnoux went off the track but wasn't penalized 25 seconds YouTube - F1 1979 René Arnoux Vs Gilles Vileneuve

·
Registered
786 Posts
The F1 executive seems determined to make sure that Ferrari wins every year, even if it means making up the rules as they go along. How did they come up with the 25 seconds, anyway?

I thought the $100M decision against McLaren and loss of the Manufacturers' championship last year was bad. This latest penalty just makes the Ferrari bias that much more blatant. May be every manufacturer should paint their cars red in protest? Then they won't know which one is the Ferrari that they're supposed to give the advantage to. rotfl

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
The F1 executive seems determined to make sure that Ferrari wins every year, even if it means making up the rules as they go along. How did they come up with the 25 seconds, anyway?

I thought the $100M decision against McLaren and loss of the Manufacturers' championship last year was bad. This latest penalty just makes the Ferrari bias that much more blatant. May be every manufacturer should paint their cars red in protest? Then they won't know which one is the Ferrari that they're supposed to give the advantage to. rotfl
25 seconds is the stewards' estimation of the amount of time that would have been lost in a drive-through penalty. Since there were less than five laps left, they didn't call for a drive-through penalty, because they hadn't yet made their official ruling about the attempted pass. So they retroactively applied it when they had made the ruling (and had safely locked themselves away from the angry fans).

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts