The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anybody knows whether hard launches using a 240 with launch control is registered in the computer as a standing start? Does a 240 have the same warranty restrictions considering that it has a stronger clutch and launch control?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was told that "Lotus voids your warranty" under a standing start condition or "abusing" the car based on an ECU dump for information. So, you're saying this is not true? So my local dealership's service manager lied completely? That sucks. How do you know this is a fallacy?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Yes. They either lied or completely misunderstood. Either way, they misrepresented the truth.

Ask yourself this: If you buy a new car with a faulty transmission and then do a few standing starts, causing the faulty transmission to break, don't you think you should be covered for being sold a faulty transmission?

Now, don't get me wrong. If you abuse your car or do a lot of standing starts, you will have a hard time convincing anyone you didn't cause detriment to the car by doing that. Standing starts aren't exactly good for the drivetrain.

But a few standing starts will not do you any harm. :p

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Until you have a drive train issue, then enjoy replacing it on your own (many) dime(s).

Well, I should elaborate. Hard standing starts will do harm. I usually do 4-5k standing starts, (I've only done it three or four times ever) so I should have been more clear :eek:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I was just curious if anybody knows whether hard launches using a 240 with launch control is registered in the computer as a standing start? Does a 240 have the same warranty restrictions considering that it has a stronger clutch and launch control?
Read your owner's manual.
;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Read your owner's manual.
;)
It is stated in the owners manual that ANY competitive or timed event use will void your warranty. the newer cars with luanch control specifically state that use of that system will void your powertrain warranty regardless of wether it was track or street use.

the reality of it is that some customers get things replaced under warranty anyway, because Lotus chooses to do so, does not have any viable proof that such abusive behavior occured or any one of a hundred other reasons. sometimes Lotus is just nice to a customer and replaces a part without questioning thier usage because it really doesnt matter anyway.. I have seen more than one customer get a major repair under warranty when the customer themselves admitted to being an "aggressive driver", but there are alot of things in play that make the final decision. One should always keep the notion in mind that THEY will have to pay to play, and in the unlikely event it is catastrophic they MIGHT get it repaired under warranty but shouldnt expect Lotus to pay, even if they eventually do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
the newer cars with luanch control specifically state that use of that system will void your powertrain warranty regardless of wether it was track or street use.
After reading that, here are the emotions I went through:

:eek::shrug::(:confused::mad:

Way to market a feature Lotus, and scare your customers from using it :up:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
What is the definition of a standing start according to lotus?

8000rpm, and dumping the clutch?

what about 6000rpm, 1mph, and then dumping the clutch. Thats what I do, and it is a lot easier on the transmission. Im hoping that since the car is in motion first, the computer doesnt consider it a standing start.

Some traction control systems measures the difference between the front wheel rpm, and rear wheel rpm. Is that how the lotus Traction control works?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
What is the definition of a standing start according to lotus?

8000rpm, and dumping the clutch?

what about 6000rpm, 1mph, and then dumping the clutch. Thats what I do, and it is a lot easier on the transmission. Im hoping that since the car is in motion first, the computer doesnt consider it a standing start.

Some traction control systems measures the difference between the front wheel rpm, and rear wheel rpm. Is that how the lotus Traction control works?

Someone here said once that a standing start is registered when you rev to 3k and release the clutch/hit a gear.

I don't know about vehicle speed.

:shrug:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
How about when I gently turn from the stop sign at Mt Carmel onto Bent Mountain and always have my tyres spin slightly because of the gravel and layout of the roads? Does that count as a standing start?

·
Registered
845 Posts
How about when I gently turn from the stop sign at Mt Carmel onto Bent Mountain and always have my tyres spin slightly because of the gravel and layout of the roads? Does that count as a standing start?
That counts as a variant of "peeling out".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts