The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
As the happy owner of an Esprit V8 and a C6 Corvette I can say they are fantastic cars and I love them both pretty much equally (well, almost). When the day comes to clear out the garage it will be a struggle to decide which one goes on the block first. Fortunately that's not on the horizon currently.

Former GM ownership of Lotus plus a scattering of GM tech and parts in the Esprit, along with Lotus support to Corvette projects such as the C4 ZR-1 DOHC engine and the Indy mid-engine prototype makes me feel like they are more related than it may first appear on the surface. I usually think of my Esprit and Vette as girlfriends to each other, but maybe it's more like cousins.

GM had a full on marketing blitz at Corvettes Carlisle this past August with eight C8's presented, a sales pavilion, and very interesting full-size cutaway models of the chassis, engine, and transmission. Couple of photo's posted below.

I agree that the Corvette is historically the best performance bargain bang-for-the-buck compared to pretty much anything out there. Now with the C8 how can you beat it for $60k base with the styling, layout, luxurious interior, relative practicality, 3 sec 0-60, etc, etc? Still love my front-engine C6 but am glad to see them move on with the more optimum mid-engine architecture and especially upcoming DOHC engine. Can't wait to see how they do at 24hrs of Daytona race in January against the Ford GT and the Porsche 911 RSR (race version is mid-engine while the production 911 obviously is not - how is that fair Mr IMSA?!).

I was privileged to chat with Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter at the Carlisle event so I took the opportunity to suggest to him ;-) that they should consider another Lotus DOHC V8 engine design as a new option for the C8, like with the C4 ZR-1. He listened politely but of course they already had something in work. GM reps wouldn't talk about the DOHC at Carlisle but we all knew it was coming and has since been revealed in the C8R. Haven't seen details yet but seems likely it is based on the Cadillac design.

Pics of the Indy prototype and ZR-1 engines below are from the National Corvette Museum and Lime Rock track.

So Corvette is moving forward with - pardon the expression - great elan or it could even be said, with dashing esprit. Now if we could just get Lotus to revisit an updated Esprit....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oops…these pics didn't fit in the last post. Coincidentally, or maybe not, the Lotus-engineered Indy prototype utilized the Lotus-designed LT5 DOHC V8 that would later appear in the C4 ZR-1. There were only two Indy prototypes built. The first was a non-functional display-only model. The second was fully functional, built by Lotus in the UK, utilized for development testing, and is now on display at the National Corvette Museum. Definitely a worthwhile place to visit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Traded my Final edition Esprit in for a C7 Vette in '14 so I could do a 10,000 mile tour of the US with my new wife. I wasn't totally confident I would find a repair shop for the Lotus on such a long ride. Well, a few years later and single again, I intend to trade the C7 for an '18 Evora 400 this week. Though I was the first in my area to own the C7, that exclusivity didn't last long as production ramped up. I hope to get that back with another Lotus. Looked into the C8 and as others, didn't care for the rear end plus pre-orders are full up already for 2020.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
CHEVROLET DEALERSHIP typically means bottom of the sales force from my experience. Many of those Chevy Corvettes buyers don't even know we exist....good for us AFAIAC.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts