The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on launch technique for us novice drivers attending the Autocross school this Saturday in Phoenix. Magazines say drop the clutch at 7000 RPM, but I have to replace it when it goes, so I was wondering if there were any other ideas. I seem to recall seeing 4000 RPM in one of the posts? Any experience that would help?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Most autocrosses will not benefit from a higher launch. The SCCA rulebook specifically mentions that course designs should contain an element that negates the need for a drag race launch.

IMO, the Elise clutch is not going to last very long if you do a lot of higher rpm launches also.

I would suggest something between 3-4krpm.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If it's a school, I don't see a reason to launch hard. You won't learn more, it's just going to put more wear and tear on the car. Drive it off the line like a grandma. ;)

When the times matter, the situation can be more difficult. I have seen plenty of courses (including Nationals) where the rules that Randy quotes aren't applied, and a drag launch saves you time. There you just have to decide how much you're willing to pay for saving a small amount of time.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I launch routinely between 4K and 5K, and I get just a touch of chirp on the AO48s, but they grip almost immediately. It seems like an appropriate RPM.

·
Registered
345 Posts
How much $$$ is 0.2 seconds worth to you? If you're at nationals or training for it, perhaps a lot. When I'm at a local event, I wouldn't do more than an agressive street launch. I'm there for the fun of it, not to wear out my clutch.

That's just my opinion. I know other people are a lot more competetive than I am.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts