·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first visit to the local Lotus dealer to take a look at the car
and colors beyond the virtual world of internet. Chrome orange was my top
choice until I saw an Esprit with this color sitting in the dealer's
showroom. It is not that far from yellow in an overcast day. I would
rather get Saffron yellow, although I haven't seen it yet.

Lava Orange is probably more like what appears to be Chrome orange in most
of the pictures I have seen here. Chrome orange in real life is a bit lame
for my taste. I like the deep dark orange.

How did some of you get the Laser blue? I wonder whether I could make
similar arrangements to get Lava orange. Another color I wouldn't mind is
the green version of Laser blue. I don't know the name of the color, but I
have seen a few pictures of it.

Perhaps it is time for the Other Orange Mafia (OOM). Sit in 'Lotus'
position (naturally!), take a few deep relaxed breath and say OOM. Now you
are a member of OOM! Do you see a Lava orange in your vision?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
i don't think you can get Lava Orange anymore. It was replaced by Chrome Orange from what I know. If you could order LO, you may have to pay the big bucks for Lotus to do it, otherwise you'd have to paint the car at a shop yourself.

As far as Lazer Blue goes, we had inside info that we could order it for our cars. So far the colors you see are the colors we get.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
1) I've only seen four colors in person, but they include CO and SY. There is a huge difference between the two. Can't attest to lava orange, but CO is pure, raw orange compared to SY -- most of the time. Which leads to my second point...

2) Up close, CO reveals a lot of yellow flake. Personally, I like the duotone qualities of this paint. It gets more and more lush when you see it up close. It's a very unique mix. I've never seen CO turn yellow (in either sunlight or shade), but i have seen digital pics that catch the yellow. These photos might illustrate this best:SVAG demo page

By the way: This is the car I test-drove.

3) In person, CO is as lushly, deep orange as most photos portray it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. In fact, when I saw SY next to the CO, I was relieved by my CO decision -- for me SY is too daisy-yellow; not deep and dark enough.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Lava is a lot darker ( tangerine like) Thats why I love CO! I wanted a yellow/orange not a red/orange. I know there are some that would have liked this colour but hey you were'nt loud enough when the choices were made :D
That color just looks too much like the duke of hazzard (sic) :p
If enough people petition for Lava (and white) I think those could be choices next year. If Lotus look at the sales figures they will see that the colours that we ( the customers) have chosen will outsell quite a few colours that they chose like krypton and aztec.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Do we know for sure that the Chrome Orange on the Esprit is the same as the one on the Elise? I have only seen it in real life on an Esprit, and like mos, I was underwhelmed. It certainly looks much better in some of the CO Elise pictures posted in various threads here.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I was also dead-set on CO until I saw one in person. It is a tricky color in that it you simply have to see it in real life to get the true shade. I too would prefer a red-orange like Lava.

For what it's worth I didn't like Ardent very much in pictures but when my wife and I saw one we both knew that was the color for us.

--Josh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JonM3Coupe, SVGA demo page is a good link. The 2nd picture from the bottom
is more like what I saw, whereas 3rd one is closer to what I prefer (given
distortion caused by computer screen and digital photography). The sales
person told me that Esprit CO is same as that of Elise. Like adamant
pointed out, it is the difference between yellow/orange and red/onange.

I did a search on Lava orange and strong interest is clearly evident. I
like the thought of new colors becoming available next year. A list of new
colors for next year:

1. Lava orange
2. White (color of one of my present cars, but not for Elise)
3. Electric green

This list of colors to exclude:

1. Aztec bronze
2. Krypton green (btw, green in general is my favorite color!)

For those who are expecting their cars next year, what colors would you like
to see?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Electric green as represented by the Australian corporate site was my first pick; too bad it was never offered. Would love to know what this color really looks like! Photos anyone? A mettallic aqua blue or mettallic sea foam green should also be offered, in addition to stormtrooper white.

·
Registered
347 Posts
mos said:
For those who are expecting their cars next year, what colors would you like to see?
white (monaco, pearl, stormtrooper)

...and of the older elise colors that have been discontinued, but would see new life in the states:
  • ice blue
  • aqua
  • lava orange
See pictures at Kirschmann

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Tim was kind enough to give me a tour of his C.O. Elise, and i can tell you it looked 100% fantastic!!! Did not look at all like yellow to me... looked like "awesome orange"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I have yet to see a picture that actually captured the true color of Chrome Orange - including my pictures. In the shade, it definitely Orange. In the sun, it's really bright, sparkly Orange. It is a color that you really do have to see in person to judge it. Then you may or may not like it.:huh:

I like it. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts