The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAX workers go on strike, threatening Labor Day weekend travel - Los Angeles Times

Look, you handle luggage and dont do that great of a job at it. I've noticed the wait for my luggage as been increasing to average over 35 minutes at LAX. When I first started to travel it came out much faster. My gf waiting for me at the airport has even noticed the increase in baggage delays.

These people are VERY replaceable without specialized skills. Pick up a bag and place it on a belt or a truck. Big deal.

"Those firms provide about 5,000 janitors, skycaps, baggage handlers, aircraft cabin cleaners, security personnel and attendants for travelers with disabilities. About 2,500 of the workers are represented by the SEIU's airport division, the union said.

SEIU officials say the workers, who make an average of $10.50 an hour and do not receive benefits, are asking for health insurance and an increase in their hourly wage of 40 to 50 cents. Employers have made no concessions and have bargained in bad faith since contract talks began in early July, union officials say."

As for the janitors...have you guys seen LAX? Its a dump compared to DEN and PHX.

Sorry, but you have to earn your money. Trying to inconvenience me and my fellow travelers on holiday travel is not the way to earn my respect or nod of approval.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
LAX workers go on strike, threatening Labor Day weekend travel - Los Angeles Times

Look, you handle luggage and dont do that great of a job at it. I've noticed the wait for my luggage as been increasing to average over 35 minutes at LAX. When I first started to travel it came out much faster. My gf waiting for me at the airport has even noticed the increase in baggage delays.

These people are VERY replaceable without specialized skills. Pick up a bag and place it on a belt or a truck. Big deal.

"Those firms provide about 5,000 janitors, skycaps, baggage handlers, aircraft cabin cleaners, security personnel and attendants for travelers with disabilities. About 2,500 of the workers are represented by the SEIU's airport division, the union said.

SEIU officials say the workers, who make an average of $10.50 an hour and do not receive benefits, are asking for health insurance and an increase in their hourly wage of 40 to 50 cents. Employers have made no concessions and have bargained in bad faith since contract talks began in early July, union officials say."

As for the janitors...have you guys seen LAX? Its a dump compared to DEN and PHX.

Sorry, but you have to earn your money. Trying to inconvenience me and my fellow travelers on holiday travel is not the way to earn my respect or nod of approval.
Not sure they're looking for your respect or nod of approval. I'd imagine that these people are more concerned with feeding their kids. Look, let's not oversimplify the issue. Perhaps the reason you feel the service has declined is because the workers aren't making a livable wage. While the job does seem simple, it is very physical. Those guys are working out there amidst noxious fumes, lifting heavy loads all day, and probably more prone to failing health than the rest of us, yet they receive no benefits. Maybe these guys have tried everything else in the way of negotiating, and nothing has worked. Guess what - it is then their right to say enough. I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but I am saying that maybe you we need to turn some of the animus towards management and their arrogance. OR, let's all be prepared to load our own bags as we don't value what they do at all. I'm sure that would be terribly efficient. :rolleyes: I guess the question I have is...what would you do if you were in their boots?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a better job :wave::shift:
Maybe consider getting a better education too?

When the economy is turning down and the airlines are not exactly rolling in cash...is a nearly 5% raise justified?

Performance is definintely going down. Sorry, guess Im old school and believe your pay should have something to do with your performance.

Also, Ive been in their shoes or a position that was simular when I was 13 - 17. It sucked so I stayed in school and got better jobs along the way.

Yes, I started earning more than what those guys are currently making mowing lawns at 13. Damn hard work for a kid...but it helped me buy my Lotus!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope...im just going to carry on for this short week trip.

Just pissed people think they can bully to get their way and not have to work for it. People generally dont like the mob, and this union of unskilled workers seems to use very similar antics.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Nope...im just going to carry on for this short week trip.

Just pissed people think they can bully to get their way and not have to work for it. People generally dont like the mob, and this union of unskilled workers seems to use very similar antics.
I hear you, but why do I never hear a cry against management in the same sentence? Again, these people don't care what you think about them. They've obviously exhausted diplomatic channels. And are you seriously saying these people don't work for their money? Great! If that's the case, you and the other travelers shouldn't be the least bit inconvenienced.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very fair statement.

I agree...it probably has a lot to do with poor management. Poor management can go both toward human resources and financial management. The airlines have clearly sucked at both. Southwest is the exception to me. I love being able to call them and talk to a person in no time. Even better to get a flight changed without crazy fees or hassle. Just hate the lack of assigned seating and no first class.

The same poor management that has lead a number of airlines into bankruptcy probably has something to do with the current strike.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Dmbrown34

physical labor is a hard thing man.....how many 50+lbs bags do you think one of them lift/move/carry/throw in a day??? how many planes do you think they unload in a day?? and they get paid what $10.50??

Now do you see why there unhappy about not getting benefits?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to unload boxes and boxes of Mardi Gras beads off cargo containers with convicts for years. The boxes weighted about 20 kilos each and there were warehouses full of them.

Then I was the only person who could handle the container shipments for my mom's business for about 6 years.

Been there done that. Did the work for less money and no benefits.

Now, Im past that. Why? Because the kind of work now is more valued in the work place. No sympathy from me.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i'm not trying to argue with you here...i'm just saying.

lets say your the guy that has the power to increase these peoples pay and you dont because you cant sympathize...i get that and thats fine. What if....every single one of those baggage handlers stop working on the 1st?..what do you think is going to happen? wont be that much fun to clean that up.

i'm not saying give them a raise......but at the end of the day they gotta feed their family.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Get a better job :wave::shift:
EXACTLY! i don't understand unions, which are pretty much a useless relic of the industrial revolution. when i didn't like my last job or my pay, i didn't strike, i went and got a new job.

last i checked, this wasn't soviet russia. if you don't like your job, you're allowed to leave...

·
Registered
807 Posts
i always found it funny that when unions workers go onto the picket lines, chant loudly, block access to businesses and cause problems for customers, it's called "Going on Strike".

when the mob does the same exact thing, it's called "Racketeering and Extortion". :confused:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
if you don't like your job, you're allowed to leave...
And you're allowed to not have your bags put on board the plane. Fair enough?

I work in an industry where it's been proven time and time again that without the protection of the unions, we wouldn't be able to afford to work. Think about it for a minute.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Unions are for fat lazy a*holes and newsies... F these guys and the MTA!
Exactly the mentality that makes unions necessary. :clap: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts