The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am planning my floor tile layout, I'll probably use RaceDeck, but I have a question from those who have done it...

1. Do you do the floor tiling like you do normal tiling, start at the center of the garage/area/space and work your wait out? Meaning, you do not start in the cornder of the garage and go accross.

2. When placing the tiles, for the walls that do not have cabinets or anything like that, do you go right up against the wall flush or leave a space or use an edge?

3. I'm assuming using the edge is for the car to drive up on the tile (the front of the garage)?

4. What if you already have cabinets installed, do you tile under them or just too them and leave under the cabinets alone? I have the cabinets that have legs and are fastened to studs for earthquake safty. So, if I wanted to tile under neath I'd have to move them around and that could be a little UMPH!

I'm trying to figure out the actual space I'd be tiling, which is the ENTIRE garage floor but #4 is sort of a big one since I have cabinets on 2 walls. Also, answering what I do with number #2, not sure if I tile right up to the wall and cut the tile to size or just start in a corner and go. Lots of questions, hopefully those of you who have done it can help out here.

Darin

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The simple answer for RaceDeck installation is just that: simple. The hardest part of installing RaceDeck is deciding what color(s) to get. :)

No need to start in the middle - all you need is a plan and a little time.

I had edge pieces all around my install, but I only had a 10'x16' "pad". If you're going to install up to the edge of the floor space, you'll need to leave about 1/2" (I think) for expansion. Not using edge pieces might look a little ragged, but I haven't seen many installs.

Yes - you'll need to purchase edge pieces for the entrance (at the very least).

If possible, I would recommend tiling the entire floor - including under any cabinets. Such considerations, though, are your call.

I'm sure others will have more opinions/advice. Just getting the ball rolling. Good luck on your floor!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thanxs for the comment, extending the tile under the cabinets would be a real job for me, but I like your comments.

Oh, here is one, what about the garage doors? Being that this is a detached garage, I do not have to step down from the house into the garage, so do you or anyone else have any issues with clearance from the door going into the garage? So, if my garage door going into the garage seals against the concrete when shut, then I'd think the tiles would pose a problem here, no???

Darin

The simple answer for RaceDeck installation is just that: simple. The hardest part of installing RaceDeck is deciding what color(s) to get. :)

No need to start in the middle - all you need is a plan and a little time.

I had edge pieces all around my install, but I only had a 10'x16' "pad". If you're going to install up to the edge of the floor space, you'll need to leave about 1/2" (I think) for expansion. Not using edge pieces might look a little ragged, but I haven't seen many installs.

Yes - you'll need to purchase edge pieces for the entrance (at the very least).

If possible, I would recommend tiling the entire floor - including under any cabinets. Such considerations, though, are your call.

I'm sure others will have more opinions/advice. Just getting the ball rolling. Good luck on your floor!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts