The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of cleaning the slots in these LSS wheels and wanted to paint the slots black so they show dirt less.

Then, I stupidly used a Poor Boys wheel cleaner. I tested it on a part of one wheel, and it was OK. I then sprayed all the wheels with it and watched it eat the anodization (anodizing?)

I (again stupidly) didn't sue them.

Anyway, I bought some Griot's silver wheel spray, zinc primer and clear laquer and refinished the wheels myself. (HINT: don't do this in the sun, as the silver wheel spray will dry too quickly, leaving a slightly rough finish.)

Then I painted the slots with marine paint, as I could find no black epoxy paint locally.

These are my winter wheels and I think they look pretty good. If this all holds up, it will save me $$.

Personally, I think the wheels look much better with the slots painted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does look nice :D
Thanks. But, upon rereading my post, noticed a (stupid) trend for me....

I built a small turntable to make painting the wheels and slots easier.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm curious to see a slightly sharper side-angle that shows what the painted slots look like. As it is, that looks really good!

Something similar happened to my wheels, but compliments of a dealership. The original LSS wheels (IE: Mine) didn't have any sort of protection on them. Their detailer coated them with brake dust cleaner, never washed it off, then coated them in TIRE SHINE?!? The whole wheel AND the A048's? (a tire that one doesn't put that crap on anyhow).. I didn't notice this as it was nearly dark when I picked up the car.

A quick call to the GM and they took care of them. I was going to have them replaced, then opted to go ahead and powdercoated. Something I was debating anyhow since the brake dust buildup was insane with the stock pads. (fixed heavily by Porterfields!)

In the end, the dealership held up their end, I got the wheels powdercoated titanium/gun-metal grey (and think they look pretty good given that I can't stand black wheels on 99% of cars), and they saved heavily against replacing all 4 wheels.

One other benefit about a good smooth powdercoat, it hardly ever takes more than a light stream of water for all the brake dust to sheet away. Cleaning them went from 10 minutes a wheel to 2 or so.

I just wish I had also caught that the centercap logo's had disolved inside from their chemical attack. I need to replace those.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they look very good. And, that's a really nice shot, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts