The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:panic: :panic: :panic:

Guys and Gals,

I'm cautiously optimistic that the LCS will be able to offer an additional 2-day event at Laguna Seca (with the assistance of Speed Ventures) on Thursday, July 16th and Friday, July 17th ... 2 hours of practice time on Thursday in our own LOTUS-ONLY run group and 100 minutes of additional practice time as part of a typical SV track day plus the TT and race to take place on the Friday, the 17th. All of this assumes that we have sufficient interest from our members. Remember that these will be noise limited -- 92 DB -- days.

In addition, for those wanting more Laguna time, Speed Ventures will also be running on Saturday and Sunday so you can make it a 3 or 4-day Laguna extravaganza.

More info will be forthcoming as soon as certain details are finalized.

In the interim, please tentatively reserve the dates of July 16 and 17 and indicate you intention/interest in attending this event by posting to this thread. Thanks in advance.

I'm hopeful that we can make Laguna happen, but it's not a certainty yet. :shift:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Let's do it!!! I'll bring my Exige with a arqray twin muffler that's going to force me to lift through turn 5 in order not to get black flagged....

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Holy Molyyyyy.....Have to certainly schedule work around this!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Sounds good. Between this and the Oct date (Sears Point). We should get some of the NorCA folks out. Btw- drove both of them in the last few weeks and had a blast.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
OMG. I'd LOVE to do LS in my Exige. Just did one day at LS back in 2000 in a Miata. LS is the best track in the US (although really, it's the corkscrew that does it, the rest of the track is just good).

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
:panic: :panic: :panic:

Guys and Gals,

I'm cautiously optimistic that the LCS will be able to offer an additional 2-day event at Laguna Seca (with the assistance of Speed Ventures) on Thursday, July 16th and Friday, July 17th ... 2 hours of practice time on Thursday in our own LOTUS-ONLY run group and 100 minutes of additional practice time as part of a typical SV track day plus the TT and race to take place on the Friday, the 17th. All of this assumes that we have sufficient interest from our members. Remember that these will be noise limited -- 92 DB -- days.

In addition, for those wanting more Laguna time, Speed Ventures will also be running on Saturday and Sunday so you can make it a 3 or 4-day Laguna extravaganza.

More info will be forthcoming as soon as certain details are finalized.

In the interim, please tentatively reserve the dates of July 16 and 17 and indicate you intention/interest in attending this event by posting to this thread. Thanks in advance.

I'm hopeful that we can make Laguna happen, but it's not a certainty yet. :shift:
LCS participants,
When i started LCS two years ago I envisioned that one day we would have the ability to offer an LCS event at laguna. Well today I am happy to announce that with our teams assistance we have committed to our own run group at LS . This is a major financial undertaking requiring everyones cooperation as participants to make this work.
We will have 120 minutes of track time on Thursday limited to 25 cars. I suspect that we should sellout of this time quickly . Initially we thought of having a time trial and race on Thursday but we are deciding what the schedule will be in the next few days once we gauge your interest.
On Friday , we will participate with speedventure in there mixed groups. But if we do this correctly and sign up right when SV opens registration we will occupy the majority of the red and black run groups. We are working with SV now to purchase sufficient time to have a lotus only demo race at the end of the day Friday. Yes you read right demo race.
As for sound many of you know that LS has a sound limitation of 92 db. The majority of our cars will not make sound with our current set up . LPL is securing sufficient stock exhaust and or super traps to make your car legal. They are going to do this in the most cost efficient manner so you can enjoy LS to the fullest. Nobody wants to lift in turn 5 so that is what we are working on.If you still have your stock exhaust brush off the dust because you are going to need it.
As Tom and I spoke today we commented on how incredible it will be to see 25 lotus cars heading down the front straight away at the start of the race.
More to come as we know. In the mean time block out July 16-17. If you want to experience even more time, SV will be there the 18th-19th as well.:clap:
We will open registration on May 10 to a lucky 25.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Muffler

LCS participants,
When i envisioned LCS two years ago I dreamed that one day we would have the ability to offer an LCS event at laguna. Well today I am happy to announce that with our teams assistance we have committed to our own run group at LS . This is a major financial undertaking requiring everyones cooperation as participants to make this work.
We will have 120 minutes of track time on Thursday limited to 25 cars. I suspect that we should sellout of this time quickly . Initially we thought of having a time trial and race on Thursday but we are deciding what the schedule will be in the next few days once we gauge your interest.
On Friday , we will participate with speedventure in there mixed groups. But if we do this correctly and sign up right when SV opens registration we will occupy the majority of the red and black run groups. We are working with SV now to purchase sufficient time to have a lotus only demo race at the end of the day Friday. Yes you read right demo race.
As for sound many of you know that LS has a sound limitation of 92 db. The majority of our cars will not make sound with our current set up . LPL is securing sufficient stock exhaust and or super traps to make your car legal. They are going to do this in the most cost efficient manner so you can enjoy LS to the fullest. Nobody wants to lift in turn 5 so that is what we are working on.If you still have your stock exhaust brush off the dust because you are going to need it.
As Tom and I spoke today we commented on how incredible it will be to see 25 lotus cars heading down the front straight away at the start of the race.
More to come as we know. In the mean time block out July 16-17. If you want to experience even more time, SV will be there the 18th-19th as well.:clap:
We will open registration on May 10 to a lucky 25.

See you there, bring your muffler.....:nanner2:

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I think my exhaust is pretty quiet....how does one test to see if it is less than the 92 db?

I know Tim T. won't pass with his loud a$$ exhaust :eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
As I discussed on the prior thread,
everyone will also need both front and rear tow hooks at Laguna Seca.

As Jim stated, we at LPL can help folks meet sound and it'll be smoking deal pricing to enable LCS to run Laguna. I've run at Laguna with a Stage II and was no fun short shifting and running less than 1/2 throttle pass the mikes - also not at all racy. Stock Exige S muffler meets sound just fine - many of us have done so. Stage I muffler is questionable - anybody tried it?
I'll be testing a super-trap from LPL at event(s) before Laguna.

Options from LPL with be
1) buying / renting our muffler and super-trap
(Jim rather likes the sound of our muffler without the super-trap.)
2) Super-trap for your muffler, but has to exit over the diffuser and able to remove fancy tip to get to round pipe and a size that we can work with.
3) buying / renting stock Lotus muffler
We can do installs at our shop and probably some at Laguna the afternoon / night before the event. We'll need indication of interest with enough lead time to line up parts.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I driven Laguna a few times. Don’t count on cheating sound by lifting (for this event doubt you’d want to do it anyway). In the last few years, it’s common for them to have a rover checking sound else where on the track.

Other then the TurboXS, open intakes aren’t a problem. All the OEM Lotus exhaust are OK. Stage II is a good 5dbA off. If your within 2-3 dbA, staying all the way track left coming off T5 and having the tips directed to the left might be enough. Otherwise plan on a supertrapp or stock exhaust. Likewise the 8” aftermarket Larini or 2bular are fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think my exhaust is pretty quiet....how does one test to see if it is less than the 92 db?
Would help if people with different exhaust can share their results at Laguna.
For me, stock Exige S is fine, Stage II exhaust not even close.

There are hand-held sounds meters, don't know how well they correlate with sound meter at Laguna. Any experience, anyone?
Also sound sensor at Laguna is on the passenger side of the car.
A bunch of us can bring hand-held meters to the BW event (and Jack track day next Thurs), but will have to deal with trying to get testing done on right side which will be tough as we run 13 CW - maybe can test in one of the corner worker stations.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
At Laguna it’s measured 50 feet away, track right. It’s a little pass T5 on a uphill straight, so you’ll be full throttle in 3rd gear. Pretty much none of the aftermarket exhaust pass sound, (other then the 8") Stage II or the Arqray twin mufflers are the closest, about 5dbA off. The Arqray single tip at full song was a good 14dbA off. Not only did he have to short shift and lift, he practically had to coast by the sound station to stay on track.

They will allow you to do a sound check- 3 laps, first a warm up a hot lap in the clear then a cool down lap. That don’t count as a strike against you.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I have an 8" 2bular but with decat....I'll be close.

We need a rear tow hook as well? How or where are people installing these with 5 element diffusers?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You definitely want front and rear hooks. Laguna is a wonderful track, but there is deep gravel just a couple of feet off the pavement in a lot of places. I have spun, and had my front wheels on the pavement, and been stuck because the rear end was sunk in the gravel. You want a place for the tow to connect to when that happens.

Steve

1 - 20 of 289 Posts