The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with Zack Zarcadoolas, Rapier Racing and Instructor with the Porsche Driving Experience (PDE).

Zack was one of the professional drivers who drove the last 3 days at the Elise Launch at Barber. Here's Zack's words...

"I could, but won't, repeat all sorts of positive things you have heard before. What I will tell you that amazed Doc (Bundy) and myself was the car is 5 seconds a lap faster around Barber Motorsports Track than the Porsche 911 we use in PDE.
I think that says it all."

:D :D :D

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
163 Posts
What lap times are we talking about?

5 seconds on a 1:00 minute lap or a 3:00 minute lap? It's great either way, just curious.....

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can ask.

If you watch the 2nd vid from Autostrada, that's a little more than 1/2 lap. And, they're scrubbing off a lot of speed playing around drifting. So somewhere around 1:40 as a guess.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
z06fun said:
Also, do you know if he was talking about the LSS equiped car or the standard one? Thanks for the info.
5+ seconds in a LSS car. 4+ sec in a standard car. Either case is a big WOW.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
For what it's worth I drove a friends UK Elise S1 sport 190 with an ECU upgrade giving about 205-210bhp at an IVR event last weekend at a 1.25 mile track in Wendover. Now my Boxster corners very well on 245's all round . I lap in about 62-61 secs in the Boxster. After driving the Elise for a total of 20 mins my lap times are in the 56-57's. So that about 4-5 secs per minute. I have not got used to the Elise yet and it is understeering at the limit at the moment so I think the tire pressures have not been set up correctly. This is as almost as fast (within 1 sec) as most of the 500+bhp cars on slicks at the event.
I can't wait to take my Elise there later in the year!!!!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
khamai said:
5+ seconds in a LSS car. 4+ sec in a standard car. Either case is a big WOW.
Not much difference:confused:

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ivan1 said:
Say the avg lap speed is 80mph, that's about 115 ft per second. 4 seconds a lap faster would put the Elise nearly 500 ft in front of the 911 (about 25+ car lengths). In racing that's a LOT of distance.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
GabbaGabbaHey said:
I think 1 sec is a real big difference if you are "racing", especially if you are going multiple laps, it adds up. Plus, some of the vids showed rain, so maybe the track was wet and the lss tires didn't fare as well.

I need to do a lot of driver's ed and track time before I can truly say that my skill level is up to using the lss suspension at its potential.
Few here have the skill to use either suspension to it's full potential.

·
Registered
788 Posts
ivan1 said:
I assume you are refering to the 1 sec between lss and stand suspension. 1 sec is a real big difference if you are "racing", especially if you are going multiple laps, it adds up. Plus, some of the vids showed rain, so maybe the track was wet and the lss tires didn't fare as well.

I need to do a lot of driver's ed and track time before I can truly say that my skill level is up to using the lss suspension at its potential, hence why I went with base.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I guess I was thinking as someone who plans on using the car on-road rather than tracking it. In that case I don't think the difference will be noticeable ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ivan

I'm not sure what you mean. What are you wanting to notice and how would you notice it in every day driving? Would 8 seconds be noticeable? 10? I'm confused. :confused:

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the answer to the question about lap times and in what car...

"1:44's I believe and with Sport Pack. On the street the Sport Pack is a little rough."

He went on to say that he'd take the Sport Pack. Sacrifice a bit of ride comfort for the extra speed on the track. So, you can see where he's coming from.

Remember that's 5 sec faster than the 911!

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Methinks someone needs to watch some F1, where a few TENTHS of a second often seperate first place from 10th place...on the track or on the street, when you talk about 4 - 5 seconds, that's pretty major.

PS: Don't forget the first ever GP of Bahrain is on Speed this weekend (early early morning over here). Qualifiying at 4 AM tomorrow morning PST.

·
Registered
788 Posts
ivan1 said:
I guess I was thinking as someone who plans on using the car on-road rather than tracking it. In that case I don't think the difference will be noticeable ...
Ivan. off topic but this kinda reminds me of road bicycle forums where enthusiasts debate the merits of Al Vs Ti bicycles, with the former usually being stiffer and more responsive and the later being more compliant and forgiving. The Aluminum bike (generalizing here) is best for a short crit race where instant speed is all important, but on a stage race, 100 miles or so, the Titanium bicycle won't beat you up and one can ride with less fatigue. Horses for courses.

Also off topic, but I found this thread on the GT3 rennlist forum rather worthwhile for good tips on handling by a couple of the Porsche DE instructors which should apply to an Elise as well , (starts off rather silly).

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?threadid=123407

I just hope not to meet the first couple of posters on a canyon while I am out riding my road bike. Please try to remember to share the road.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Wow - that's a 5% difference in lap times. That is huge - you would definitely feel the difference in speed as a passenger. By comparison, in our amateur SCCA races a .7% (that's point seven)difference typically separates the first 5 cars. Especially since a 2.5 mi course is moderately long and probably has a decent straight. Honestly I didn't expect the Elise to be that much faster than a Porsche C2.

Have to say, the difference between LSS and standard is less than I expected. The tires alone should account for that much. Still glad I'm getting LSS though.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts