The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught in a downpour this afternoon, I noticed drops of rain hitting the floor and front of the seat on the passenger side. Yes, I know :tadts:

Too far inboard to be coming from side window (I've previously adjusted my side windows to seal reasonably well), I looked up and noticed leak occurring where the visor bracket / mount attaches to the windshield frame. My visors/pins are removed. Searched the forum and didn't find other references to a leak here, has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions on how to fix the leak (that hopefully don't entail windshield removal)?

thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Caught in a downpour this afternoon, I noticed drops of rain hitting the floor and front of the seat on the passenger side. Yes, I know :tadts:

Too far inboard to be coming from side window (I've previously adjusted my side windows to seal reasonably well), I looked up and noticed leak occurring where the visor bracket / mount attaches to the windshield frame. My visors/pins are removed. Searched the forum and didn't find other references to a leak here, has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions on how to fix the leak (that hopefully don't entail windshield removal)?

thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,
I don't have a suggestion for you but just wanted to note that Lotus were aware of leaks in that area and placed the alarm module in a plastic bag to protect it.
Michael

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
:) that is too perfect.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff,
I don't have a suggestion for you but just wanted to note that Lotus were aware of leaks in that area and placed the alarm module in a plastic bag to protect it.
Michael
Thanks Michael, good to know what I'm up against. Interestingly, for me at least, the leak falls far enough back in the cabin that the alarm module seems safe. Not sure what I'll try but I'll post info if I find anything useful in the way of a fix.

·
Registered
935 Posts
On my second Lotus Elise I have the same issue. It only happens with the soft top but not the hard top making me think that the water is pooling in the channel above the viser mount. The hard top eliminates this as it has seals that better cover that front channel.
If I did not have the hard top I would dremmel out the mounts and fill the holes with silicone but I having needed to do that yet. If you find a solution, please put up as I might end up having to do something in future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this with my 05 back when it was brand new. Lotus had a survive bulletin about it back in probobly 2005 as well, with instructions on how to fix it.

Dave C

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this with my 05 back when it was brand new. Lotus had a survive bulletin about it back in probobly 2005 as well, with instructions on how to fix it.

Dave C
Dave,
Thanks a million, you are right, there was a service bulletin for exactly this issue, found it. It essentially instructs you to run a bead of something called Betamate 2800 under the top trim piece along the entire width of the windshield (instructions and diagrams in the SB). I'll definitely do this, now just need to find this Betamate stuff (it's a Dow Automotive product).

thanks again,
Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts