The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put everything back together and did maiden voyage today and the transmission is leaking oil. It comeing from above the fill bolt and it looks like the rubber boot on the cylinder that is connected to side to side movement of the shifter has oil on it. The rubber boot is not pushed against the transmission and you can see the shaft of the cylinder.

Will that area leak and how can you fix it? It didn't look like the boot has anything to keep it against the transmission.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Put everything back together and did maiden voyage today and the transmission is leaking oil. It comeing from above the fill bolt and it looks like the rubber boot on the cylinder that is connected to side to side movement of the shifter has oil on it. The rubber boot is not pushed against the transmission and you can see the shaft of the cylinder.

Will that area leak and how can you fix it? It didn't look like the boot has anything to keep it against the transmission.
Yea, that one seal just sits there like that. There shouldn't be any oil up that high, is the gearbox overfilled?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like this thing is called a "control shaft". I will have to find the service manual, but it looks like theres some seals in there. Its leaking on the other side of this thing, where the shifter cable (and big metal weight) are attached.

It only leaks when I drive and slosh the oil around. It won't leak when sitting stationary. Co-worker said maybe one of the seals dried up from not driving the car for 6 months.

·
Registered
846 Posts
OK, so how do I replace that oil seal? I'm afraid of extracting that whole shaft in case it gets out of alignment or something internaly.
You don't need to worry about alignment, the lever with the weight on it is indexed to the shaft via that tapered pin. It will go on the same way it came off.

I don't know if the seal on that end can be replaced in situ or not. I suspect it can if you can remove the old one.

·
Registered
846 Posts
So your saying I can unbolt the four bolts on the front and pull the entire shaft out?
That you can't do.

I thought it was leaking from the lever side?
What I meant was, remove the lever and see if you can get the seal out, if you can then you should be able to get the new one in.
I'm 90% sure you can't remove the entire shaft without splitting the gearbox case...

·
Registered
362 Posts
So your saying I can unbolt the four bolts on the front and pull the entire shaft out?
If you remove "control shaft lever" from the shaft you'll have access to the seal. It can be removed and a new one installed with no firther disassembly but working around the shaft is a bit difficult. If you remove "lock ball assembly" and "control shaft cover" you can get the shaft out and out of the way. Might be a good idea to inspect the shaft, those seals normally do not go bad.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the part, it's part number 90310-15004. once I knew what I was looking for I found the old one inside the dust boot. I have no idea how that thing could have come out as it has to be hammered in place. The old one was still in good shape and I could only get it in the hole about half way. So the leaking has stopped, but it will probably come loose again. My guess is that it was never installed correctly from the factory. To get enough room to install this thing correctly I think the rear clam will have to come off.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It only gets pressed in until it bottoms out in the hole, about halfway. At that point it is still sticking out pretty far so that you can slip that outer rubber boot over the lip of the metal sleeve.

I've never seen one of those seals come out on its own or not be installed properly at the factory. Interesting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts