The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
yesterday i was about to change my oil when i found a pretty big oil spot on the service panel. After removing it, it was obvious that the oil line right above the oil filter was leaking right around the crimp (passenger side). it seems to have leaked about 1/2 a quart so it wasnt low yet. i've seen some talk about these hoses leaking, but i was wondering if its usually a hose failure or just something wrong with the crimp. i mean, is this usually fixed by repairing the crimp or replacing the entire hose. Looks like the hose replacement is a pain and i'm wondering what to expect as an estimate from the dealer. any advice?

also, this hose has already had a catastrophic failure at the front mount point in the past. seems like they should have fixed it then!

·
Registered
960 Posts
There's a fairly common problem of the driver's side oil cooler failing where the hose attaches. Mine was replaced under warranty. There are a couple of threads on the topic, including one I started about two years ago with pictures...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My oil cooler line somehow came in contact with the belt and wore a hole through it draining all my oil. It was a huge mess and headache. I still can smell a little oil burning off the motor sometimes

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
a 1/2 quart leak would probably cover the entire service panel and then some.

clean off the suspected fitting and the rest of the area (filter, sandwich plate, lines, etc) then run the car to see if there is any seepage. try it just in the driveway.

there are threads on the subject. different cause reported. bad casting on the sandwich plate, cut oil cooler line, failed fitting, bad gasket, dip stick, etc ....

best way to search is using some combo of these terms:

oil* leak* fitt* line*

good luck.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
What year car? Is it still under warranty?

The hoses don't usually have any problems - leaking hoses hasn't been reported as far as I remember (I may have missed reports however).

The leaks in the front on early '05 cars was from the fittings being improperly tightened on the assembly line. Tightening the hose fitting without holding the cooler side of the fitting resulted in cracks forming in the tubing on the cooler's fittings. There was no problem with the hoses.

Another "hose" problem reported was caused by the engine's pulley rubbing through the hose. Again, this is not a failure of the hose crimps.

Make sure that the leak is actually the hose, and not somewhere else and the oil is simply flowing down the hose to the crimp. Also make sure that the leak is not at the threads of the fitting - something that tightening the fitting would cure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its an 05 and I think I'm just out of warranty. I've seen lots of posts about failure at the intercooler but not at the oil filter. I'm going to take it in to the dealer regardless though just to be sure. Also the oil spot was only about 2 sq feet so I guess it wasn't a whole half quart. Just guessing by the dipstick. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
oh great i had weird oil spots when i was about to do mine as well, couldnt quite figure out where it was comming from, will check the oil lines to the oil cooler once i get a chance

with me only having <12K miles, something like this should be covered by my warranty correct?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
Took it to bmcd here in SF. Guys seemed ok and it was cool to be surrounded by lambos. So, what they found was that the coupling on the oil hose was leaking which is not uncommon. interestingly they told me that they now source the oil hoses from an air conditioning factory in oakland. they said that lotus even requested they do this and pays for the parts themselves!

they've had it for over a week now and they sheered off a suspension bolt (they replaced some rear suspension bushings for me as well). but all and all im not unhappy. I am however very picky about my alignments i'll let you guys know if anything else interesting pops up.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Update:
Took it to bmcd here in SF. Guys seemed ok and it was cool to be surrounded by lambos. So, what they found was that the coupling on the oil hose was leaking which is not uncommon. interestingly they told me that they now source the oil hoses from an air conditioning factory in oakland. they said that lotus even requested they do this and pays for the parts themselves!

they've had it for over a week now and they sheered off a suspension bolt (they replaced some rear suspension bushings for me as well). but all and all im not unhappy. I am however very picky about my alignments i'll let you guys know if anything else interesting pops up.
Where they the upper control arm bushings? what bolt did they sheer off? thanks carl

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi all,
yesterday i was about to change my oil when i found a pretty big oil spot on the service panel. After removing it, it was obvious that the oil line right above the oil filter was leaking right around the crimp (passenger side). ...
Update:
My oil hose is leaking at the same spot. Very slow for now, but I'm worried about it getting worse. If I ordered a new hose (with connectors) from the Lotus dealer (or lotusgarage.com), will it be the same hose, with potential defect, as the original, or would it be from the above referenced air conditioning factory in Oakland?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts