The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some liquid appearing on the garage floor, just inside the edge of each rear tire. It is yellowish. Feels slightly oily. Doesn't smell at all.

There is nothing I can see on the top of the undertray. Nothing on the tire rims either. It seems to be leaking from somewhere where it has a straight shot to the floor.

The bottoms of my Penskes (the coils) have a fair amount of dirt on them, maybe mixed with something that makes it stick there.

So is the fluid in the shocks sort of yellow and slightly oily? Seems odd that both would leak at the same time. Been on there four years and maybe 12,000 miles.

Any thoughts for where else it might be coming from?

If it is the shocks, will I damage them if I drive? It's an awfully nice day weather wise where I am today.

Thanks!

EDIT: Managed to get my camera in there. Both sides look similar:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Yeah they look like they’re leaking I would contact Fred. @fzust

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both!

Reasonable timing as the season is coming to an end.

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
157 Posts
You can drive on them, but time for a rebuild
Ehhh, yes you can. But when the unit binds it would possibly make for some unique driving characteristics. On the plus side speed bumps will be much smoother.

·
Registered
890 Posts
But when the unit binds it would possibly make for some unique driving characteristics.
Eh - I wouldn't be too concerned about that risk. The guide bearing and piston band will operate fine as long as there is some oil in the body. As fluid leaks out, the nitrogen pressure will decrease and the damper will cavitate at lower force thresholds. Prolonged exposure to cavitation isn't good for the shim stack.

If the wiper is letting contamination into the guide bearing, you could start to see scoring of the shaft... which will impact repair costs substantially if the shaft requires replacement.

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
157 Posts
damper will cavitate at lower force thresholds.
You're assuming there is still oil in the damper. When I blew one of mine it didn't take long to have zero damping effect. It is an interesting feeling when the car turns into a Flotus.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
906 Posts
I have some liquid appearing on the garage floor, just inside the edge of each rear tire. It is yellowish. Feels slightly oily. Doesn't smell at all.

There is nothing I can see on the top of the undertray. Nothing on the tire rims either. It seems to be leaking from somewhere where it has a straight shot to the floor.

The bottoms of my Penskes (the coils) have a fair amount of dirt on them, maybe mixed with something that makes it stick there.

So is the fluid in the shocks sort of yellow and slightly oily? Seems odd that both would leak at the same time. Been on there four years and maybe 12,000 miles.

Any thoughts for where else it might be coming from?

If it is the shocks, will I damage them if I drive? It's an awfully nice day weather wise where I am today.

Thanks!

EDIT: Managed to get my camera in there. Both sides look similar:
View attachment 1299962
I have the info on where to send them directly to Penske.Have all 4 done. The nitrogen tends to leak out over time.Will post info when I find it.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
906 Posts
Eh - I wouldn't be too concerned about that risk. The guide bearing and piston band will operate fine as long as there is some oil in the body. As fluid leaks out, the nitrogen pressure will decrease and the damper will cavitate at lower force thresholds. Prolonged exposure to cavitation isn't good for the shim stack.

If the wiper is letting contamination into the guide bearing, you could start to see scoring of the shaft... which will impact repair costs substantially if the shaft requires replacement.
There is something I need to say.You have more extremely accurate information than anyone I know.
Now that I got off my chest I feel better LOL

·
Vendor
3,563 Posts
Yep, time for a rebuild. @jdawson is spot-on. Almost like he is a mechanical engineer or something. ;)

@Kevin Michael, I'll PM you the info on sending them in.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
906 Posts
Thanks, @hvymtlmcn. Happy to share my thoughts when it helps (and sometimes when it doesn't, lol).
Nobody I know has an oscilloscope in their garage
but you. I don’t know what that is or what it’s for but now I want one in my garage ⚡⚡

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
906 Posts
Well, you are wrong there. I have an O-scope, distributor machine, function generators, temperature oven and several DVMs just to name a few things.

Later,
Eldon
I’m not surprised you do because of your background,fancy fandangeled sensors and all.
When you guys start talking about can bus sampling rates it gets confusing. I ridden on lots of buses but the only cans I saw were on the floor.It’s all very confusing.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I’m not surprised you do because of your background,fancy fandangeled sensors and all.
When you guys start talking about can bus sampling rates it gets confusing. I ridden on lots of buses but the only cans I saw were on the floor.It’s all very confusing.
At the wind tunnel, the techs got cute and gave me two pop cans connected by a string and asked me to fix their CAN bus!

Later,
Eldon

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Eldonz shop was pretty amazing like his cars!

• Love
Reactions: eldonz

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Kevin,

My plans this winter was a pre-emptive rebuild on my Penskes. Along with ball joints and bushings. We'll see where that goes. But yea, yours looks due for a rebuild.
I do have the ball joint and bushing tools if you need them. Marek tells me he found a local place to do nickel plating if you want to make the a-arms shine. I used POR 15 as I couldn't find a plating place nearby.

Reactions: gstomp06
1 - 20 of 33 Posts