The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.

My dealer told me that my tie rod end is leaking and if not replaced before it dries out, I will eventually lose steering. he said it was common. anyone have any opinions? I hadnt heard this before and could not find anything via search. I have a 05 elise with 25K miles.

Mark

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Probably the boot is torn and it is leaking out grease.

You should replace the boot if lotus sells them separately, you might be able to find a match elsewhere.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Isn't that the same as a muffler bearing going bad ?? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The OP needs to find out exactly what the dealer is talking about since it doesn't seem like they know what they are doing. Do they mean tearing instead of leaking?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Evilfij got it right. I was at a track day today and i asked a lotus tech the same question, is my tie rod leaking. He reached in the front wheel wells and felt the boots. My passenger side tie rod end boot was leaking grease. He told me that i should consider the boots consumable and should be replaced in pairs. He also said the part is $30 and it takes a tech 15 minutes to put them in.

Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
My Exige S 2007 had a torn tie rod end rubber boot torn at 6300 miles. It was replaced under warranty. Don't know why it was torn? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Evilfij got it right. I was at a track day today and i asked a lotus tech the same question, is my tie rod leaking. He reached in the front wheel wells and felt the boots. My passenger side tie rod end boot was leaking grease. He told me that i should consider the boots consumable and should be replaced in pairs. He also said the part is $30 and it takes a tech 15 minutes to put them in.

Mark
Don't forget the alignment!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts