The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
A Lease can be a wonderful thing. IF you use it right. In general, cars that have a fast depreciation rate like Jaguars, Ford, Dodge, etc.. are generally good lease options. You're basically renting the car when you lease. Nothing you pay is knocking off the principal of the car. But at the end of the term you'll have the option to buy out the vehicle at current market value. So with faster depreciating cars you could make out like a bandit if you opt for the buyout at the end. With cars like Porsche which hold tremendous value over time it's not the best option.

I say if a lease is the best affordable option for you at the time then go for it. You can always buy the car later. Just don't dump too much down on the car as it is wasted $$$. It does not lower the principal balance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's a very strong possibility. My guess is there won't be too many if any at all that will lease this vehicle. It's not in the dealerships best interest to do so considering the abuse most if not all Elises will take. They know what the car was built for. I've never asked for this vehicle so I was just stating some Lease facts from previous experience.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It's possible that some independent companies may set up a lease for you (Putnam), but it's going to be hard for them to estimate a buyout until the level of depreciation for the car becomes apparent.

I would expect any lease to be VERY expensive for a car of this nature. You're going to be better off buying it. If $ is a problem, wait a year or two. I know most seem to disagree with me on this point, but I think you'll be able to get one used at a heavy discount

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I might lease. Unfortunately, there the Elise's residuals haven't been release yet, so it's impossible to accurately compare number to see whether to lease or buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts