The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never leased a car before, but I've done my homework and I might try it with this car ..

One question I can't find an answer for is this:

Anyone know how a dealer estimates residual value on a brand new model that has no real peer?

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Who knows. The bad news is that they may base it on the Esprit...

Roy

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
jahwerx said:
Anyone know how a dealer estimates residual value on a brand new model that has no real peer?
Dealers don't estimate residual value... lessors (e.g. banks) do.

My guess is that they use the history of the brand in combination with the type of car to estimate a residual (which for the Elise would be significantly low) and then factor in their own goals for what they want to do with the car.

Early leases may see a high residual value with a high multiplier to avert end-of-lease purchase / quick sale for a quick buck. This doesn't really make your payment lower, it just means you're paying more to interest and less to depreciation.

Personally, I would only lease the car if there was no penalty for early payoff. That way, if it's in your best interest to sell the car in a year (because of an unexpected market shift for the better or the worse), you're not bound to it for 2 or 3 more years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

Thanks for your insight on this. I suppose I'll just "wait and see". I'm sure the data will start coming out once the cars hit the shores. I'm down at #40 on my dealer's list, so it could be a while...

- Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts